285, 285M Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Eddie K

What pound test line are these reels designed for?  I was thinking 20 or 30 lb test mono, plus some backing.  I need to spool one up after servicing one that I just bought. 

festus

Quote from: Eddie K on July 02, 2019, 05:33:11 PM
What pound test line are these reels designed for?  I was thinking 20 or 30 lb test mono, plus some backing.  I need to spool one up after servicing one that I just bought. 
275 yds of mono. My Delmar has a plastic spool.  I have the first 50 yds or so of braid, then the remainder is 30 lb Berkley Big Game.  These are trolling reels, but surprisingly cast fairly well.

mo65

The Delmar is one of Penn's most successful reels...if success is measured by how well a reel performed it's job. I have been out on headboats that used Delmars from the 40s, 50s, and 60s every day! They just won't quit!.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

They are general fishing reels adaptable to various types of lite fishing. Is the spool plastic(Bakelight) , plated brass, or newest one black Aluminium? If plastic I use would use 20 lb braided Dacron.  Straight mono might crush the Bakelite spool. Penn published this warning in their catalogs. In the 70's I also used braided nylon squiding line with a mono top shot. With mono start at about 15 lb on the light side to 30 on the heavy side. It depends on what area and type of fish you are fishing for.
On my Penn conventionals I use 20 lb  braided Dacron with a mono leader. I fish the back bays behind Stone Harbor and Wildwood NJ. All my spools have been changed to the Aluminium.
Same size reel as the 85 Seaboy, 60 LB, and 2/0 Senator.
The "M" in the model number indicates a metal spool and an "L" indicates an Aluminium spool.

Eddie K

Thanks for the replies.  I just saw a box from the mid to late '70's.  30 pound test dacron.
line was indicated.  I'll hunt up some dacron. 

I just got this reel yesterday.  It's brand new on the inside.  It was never used, inside was bright and shiny.  Asbestos and brass drag washers.

Maxed Out

The old drag washers will work, but you will benefit greatly by upgrading to modern drag washers and friction washer
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Eddie K

Absolutely.  HT 100's or Carbontex.  I was just surprised that this reel was a time capsule on the inside.  It was never opened up or fished, ever.  I was excited finding a steel main gear. 

Eddie K

My inexpensive 285M isn't so inexpensive anymore.  It now has a mate and both have ss gear sleeves, 5+1 drag stack and 24-66 handles, 150 yds of 30 lb dacron and 210 yds of 30 lb Berkley Big Game mono.  

foakes

We can't see it, Eddie...

Try holding it a little closer to your computer -- and crank it with the clicker on.

(In other words...We need pics, 😀😀😀)

285 is a great and under-appreciated reel that takes some of our upgrades very well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Eddie K

IM sent with pics.
--------------------------

I added (3) photos above of your 285, Eddie

Best, Fred

Eddie K

milne

Eddie, That reel is looking great and by the looks your going to get some good use from her.
          I've not Delved into the 285 yet, but it is a bug, once you start Modding these old girls up.
        Great looking reel...

Col

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Eddie K

Col, all my reels are old.  The last time I bought a new reel was 2003.  I have only recently started buying used reels, clean them up, lube and replace any worn parts.  The 285M's that I bought just needed cleaning and polishing as they were discovered to be unused when I opened them up to service them.