285, 285M Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie K

I blew out a spool on one of my 285 Delmars.  I'm glad it happened at home, instead of having a fish on.  I need to find a pair of 29L-85 aluminum spools.

Gfish

There's not alota those out there. Might haveta get 'em from a used reel. I put one on my 2/0 Senator that actually came from a 285(not originally).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Eddie K

I think it is going to be like searching for hens teeth.

mo65

Quote from: Eddie K on November 06, 2019, 05:53:02 AM
I need to find a pair of 29L-85 aluminum spools.

Quote from: Gfish on November 06, 2019, 02:40:51 PM
Might have ta get 'em from a used reel.

Searching the hundreds of Delmars on eBay should turn up a few. I miss the days when Mystic had any Penn part one needed. Some of these parts are getting scarce.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Also look at Long Beach 60's and Seaboy 85's, though it's hard to tell plastic spools from aluminium by an ebay picture. Probably gotta ask the seller if it looks like it could be one. The Del Mar 285 never came with an aluminum spool so they'er all add-ons.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on November 07, 2019, 02:25:10 PM
Also look at Long Beach 60's and Seaboy 85's, though it's hard to tell plastic spools from aluminium by an ebay picture.

Good call G...forgot those two. Also the post '90 Seaboy 185 is a source. This photo I heisted from Bill B. shows how the shoulders differ on the plastic and aluminum spools. Good luck searching! 8)

Eddie K

Or, if there is enough demand Tom H. from Cortez Conversions could make a run of new spools.  He is working on a frame for a Longbeach.  I don't know which model.

Gfish

Yup. There's a market for 'em. P.C., Tiburon, C.C., hint, hint...

mo65

Yeah, definitely a market, and a frame for a Longbeach sounds fantastic! I did an eBay search of Delmars...there were only 66! Wow...there used to be many more...maybe things are finally drying up. And 29L-85 spools were extinct on da Bay. :-\

Eddie K

Found and bought some Penn Seaboy 85's with the coveted 29L-85 aluminum spool.  I've found hens teeth.  I didn't want to buy whole reels, but, that's the only way to get those spools as of right now.  2 down and 5 to go.  Ordering 2 new spools from Randy. 

Rancanfish

you guys crack me up.  I've had some for sale here for 10 days.     2/4/20  one left.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Beachmaster

I just had a Penn 85 Seaboy clean as a whistle loaded with 400 yards of 20# pink ande, carbon fiber drags and the coveted aluminum spool delivered to my house from Ebay for $9.99

mo65

Quote from: Beachmaster on February 06, 2020, 12:03:49 AM
I just had a Penn 85 Seaboy clean as a whistle loaded with 400 yards of 20# pink ande, carbon fiber drags and the coveted aluminum spool delivered to my house from Ebay for $9.99

I saw that one sell...nice buy! 8)

Beachmaster

Quote from: mo65 on February 06, 2020, 12:32:04 AM
Quote from: Beachmaster on February 06, 2020, 12:03:49 AM

I saw that one sell...nice buy! 8)
Thanks Mo!  I gotta stop soon...I also bought those three 330N Quicks for $32.  On another note, what can I use the 85 Seaboy for?  I am in Texas and fish the Texas coast.

mo65

Quote from: Beachmaster on February 06, 2020, 12:39:56 AM
Thanks Mo!  I gotta stop soon...I also bought those three 330N Quicks for $32.  On another note, what can I use the 85 Seaboy for?  I am in Texas and fish the Texas coast.

That Seaboy is equipped for bottom fishing in bays with the aluminum spool, new drags, and loaded with pink Ande. As cheap as you got it, it could also be disassembled for all those choice parts. The spool alone is worth more than you paid for the reel. Heck, the pink Ande is worth more! That reel has many options. You could strip off the 20lb. Ande and replace with a half spool of 30 lb. line for catfishing. At half spool that thing has enough power to twist the stand if you lock it down.