Penn Monofil 26 on True Temper Montague 7779 Rod - Found at local thrift store

Started by Abombs, June 10, 2021, 03:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abombs

Quote from: thorhammer on June 10, 2021, 06:17:39 PM
No one wants to cast braid long on this reel, I promise.

Curious why you say this? I have a Beachmaster 155 that I put an aluminum spool in + magged and it casts like a dream with 40lb braid. I have no trouble casting 100+ yards with only 2oz of lead. Even on an 7.5' rod I can outcast basically anyone with spinning tackle, and it's a breeze. I also surf cast with 4/0 Senator with an 11' rod that I can throw the same distance, even with 90lb braid. I have multiple squidders on 12' rods that I have also magged and put braid on, and they are champion casters for sure, and throw even further. But the humble Beachmaster 155 is way better than most might think.... I also have a 209 level wind that I magged. I keep 40lb mono on it, and similarly, it casts like a dream. People talk about the level wind reducing casting performance.... Sure.... But it still outcasts spinning tackle by leaps and bounds.

I learned to cast conventional with the 155 Beachmaster when it had a brass spool. It took some practice, but I got it down, and everything since then has been a breeze, especially after modding and upgrading....

Quoteif you want to use it light trolling or bottom fishing it should do plenty with stock gears and carbontex drag. Remember the WR red drum was caught on a Squidder from surf- 93 lbs or so, with stock drags as they were 40 years ago, and no one EVER accused a drum being a slouch of a fighter.

That's pretty cool. I did not know that. Fun trivia. I had a Squidder dog and brass gear turn into mush and fail when I hooked up a very large bull shark not long ago. It was already a worn reel, but it was toast after that. I would be afraid it would happen again with a 93lb red.

Abombs

Quote from: oc1 on June 10, 2021, 07:32:44 PM
That's a classic for sure. .... Man, if you start upgrading the reel you will not have a classic combo any longer.  I agree with John above and would just clean it up and use it as intended; a boat rod.  If you want modern casting conveniences then get a modern reel.

I have a whole bunch of old Penn reels, and am fond of all of them. And I love custom stuff. I build my own furniture, my own bicycle parts, modify my vehicles, and make art for a living. I just really love customizing things. All my Penn gear is customized so I can put it on a surf rod and go cast if need be, of if I am headed out on a boat I put it on a boat rod. Swapping stuff around and planning my day on the water is half the fun. So my approach has been to make them as versatile and reliable as possible.

But this is for my neighbor after all.... My neighbor is a funny guy. I got him all excited about fishing and this vintage gear. I don't even think he likes fishing that much, just being out on the water and being part of the action. He nearly faints when we hook up with anything big. He can't touch fish. Won't eat fish. He looks away when I remove hooks and release. He just moved to Florida and got excited about this stuff. Fixing up this reel is mostly for fun. I am sure the first time he takes it out he will realize even without casting there is a learning curve that he might not be up for...

Abombs

Quote from: Gfish on June 12, 2021, 06:33:57 PM
Had a Beachmaster for a few weeks. Had the plastic spool. Seemed to me to be a nice no-frills Penn that would be a good surfcaster. Easy to operate and service and nice and lightweight for casting. The Surfmaster would be a step-up with the one-screw head-plate removal system, but this adds a possible problem if the system fails.
Could the gears be chrome plated brass? Is there any flaking on the finish?

I DO love the simplicity of the Beachmaster, especially after having the dog fail me on a Squidder. I almost want to put a dab of hot glue on the dog eccentric lever to keep it from knuckle-busting me. I don't need that feature!

Abombs

Quote from: Decker on June 15, 2021, 01:33:59 PM
Quote from: Porthos on June 15, 2021, 08:51:41 AM
That 5-155 is steel but not stainless; grease well to protect from SW intrusion.
Replace the 13-155 with a 13-200.
A SS 98-155 is the next logical upgrade.
The under gear washer can be delrin instead of CF; check with Dawn/SmoothDrags.com.
A greased 3 CF + 1 delrin drag stack will output between 12-13 lbs drag from top-of-spool (would only set this high if the spool is Aluminum and with a 1-piece frame upgrade; stay around 8lbs if only with the factory posts).
Takes Type-A handles, so any Jigmaster power handle will work...

Bada-bing! ;D

I saw no other comments on the rod yet.  Looks like a blue collar fish heaving workhorse.  I'd use it from the jetty, bridge, or wreck fishing and probably swap out the roller tip.  Hard to tell how heavy the action might be.

I think I will leave the rod as is. I've replaced plenty of rod tips in the past year, including several for my clumsy neighbor.... If I take him to the beach with this we will just put it on a different rod. Although I am curious as to how it heave a nice big heavy bait, and I may go try just for fun. It feels very heavy, and very parabolic. Which is also why I would consider upgrading this reel further so it matches the rod. The rod has more backbone than the reel does at this point.

Abombs

Quote from: Porthos on June 15, 2021, 08:51:41 AM
...A greased 3 CF + 1 delrin drag stack will output between 12-13 lbs drag from top-of-spool (would only set this high if the spool is Aluminum and with a 1-piece frame upgrade; stay around 8lbs if only with the factory posts).

It's interesting you say this because my Beachmaster 155 was the first Penn conventional I did upgrades to, and somehow going to carbontex drag washers & aluminum spool I was able to get a nice, smoooooth 18lb of drag out of it. I keep 40lb braid on it, and have caught some serious fighting fish with it (huge stingrays, 4-5 foot sharks, 30" jacks, 40" snook, etc). 18lb of drag with 40lb braid allowed me to basically be able to clamp the drag all the way down, never break off, and I can winch the fish in much more quickly than lighter tackle. So far I have not worn out the brass gears, nor the dog, nor anything. I just keep it well serviced and it has not given up on me yet. The posts alone have served me well.

Regarding the steel gear in the Monofil 26, I am envious at what my neighbor has found! I really want to take one of these reels further and have considered upgrading the gears and sleeve. A magged and upgraded vintage reel has way more character and appeal to me than spending a similar amount on a modern casting reel.

Abombs

Quote from: RowdyW on June 13, 2021, 03:45:57 PM
The pinion gear is most likely ss but the main gear is probably a heat treated steel gear. A lot of the Penn reels used heated main gears up through the mid 70's.        Rudy

It's so interesting to me this is the case because all available information I have seen/found suggests they only came with brass gears. Why is this not more common knowledge on sites like MysticParts? Why don't we see more of them available used?

Porthos

Quote from: Abombs on June 15, 2021, 02:20:38 PM...It's interesting you say this because my Beachmaster 155 was the first Penn conventional I did upgrades to, and somehow going to carbontex drag washers & aluminum spool I was able to get a nice, smoooooth 18lb of drag out of it. I keep 40lb braid on it, and have caught some serious fighting fish with it (huge stingrays, 4-5 foot sharks, 30" jacks, 40" snook, etc). 18lb of drag with 40lb braid allowed me to basically be able to clamp the drag all the way down, never break off, and I can winch the fish in much more quickly than lighter tackle. So far I have not worn out the brass gears, nor the dog, nor anything. I just keep it well serviced and it has not given up on me yet...

In its earlier iterations, my posts-configured Monofil 27 ended up with a split 13-155 after one season of fishing at 11lbs max drag; was willing to go up this high because the SS gear sleeve was its first major upgrade. As Alan himself explained that the Jigmaster's brass 98-60 will get rounded by the handle past 8lb of continual max drag usage, that was sufficient data to extrapolate to the brass 98-155 since it also takes Type A handles. Once the 13-200 upgrade proved it could handle a season of 12lb max drag, the next set of incremental upgrades were:

• Tiburon frame
  • steel 5-155
  • SS 15-155
  • Newell Surfmaster 100 spool

12 lbs top-of-spool max drag with 1-2 lbs drag from the guides and rod blank meant a 40lb setup based on the 1/3 rule. As such, the 27 has landed dodos, YT, and YFT on Alan's SOA charters since 2014. The 29L-100 held 325 yds of 50lb solid braid--the low end of what, IMHO, was needed to fish SoCal LR as a 40lb reel. The Newell got capacity up to 400 yds of 50lb hollow core plus 10-25 yds of 40 lb top shot...my ideal capacity for life as a 40lb LR reel.

The guts of a 26 or 160 are the same for the 27, 155, 180, etc. Wider spools would just mean more line but no uptick in max drag. None of the Beachmaster, Monofil, and Surfmaster, IMHO...even after being "tanked-up"...warrant being tasked as 50lb or 60lb reels which 18lbs max drag would permit with the 1/3-rule. I personally will not go there. For 50lb and 60lb, I have those slots tasked with upgraded Daiwa 300H and 400H, respectively...Senator level equivalent reels.

YMMV...

thorhammer

Yes , you could cast it- with mag and al spool. Or even the plastic one, maybe. But I said "That" reel....with heavy chromed brass spool, that generally has a gap that will eat braid of any test that the reel in stock form is engineered for- i.e. 30 lb.braid is 8 pound mono diameter. Fishing at 1/3, as Wai points out, is 10 pounds or so at best for drag limit in stock form. So maybe not "no one" but "very, very few" will want the headache of casting that reel and picking bird nest out of 30 lb braid, or getting it out if the spool shaft. Bouncing up and down, perfect, but casting long will take some learning curve.

Gfish

Quote from: Abombs on June 15, 2021, 02:04:51 PM
Quote from: oc1 on June 10, 2021, 07:32:44 PM
That's a classic for sure. .... Man, if you start upgrading the reel you will not have a classic combo any longer.  I agree with John above and would just clean it up and use it as intended; a boat rod.  If you want modern casting conveniences then get a modern reel.

I have a whole bunch of old Penn reels, and am fond of all of them. And I love custom stuff. I build my own furniture, my own bicycle parts, modify my vehicles, and make art for a living. I just really love customizing things. All my Penn gear is customized so I can put it on a surf rod and go cast if need be, of if I am headed out on a boat I put it on a boat rod. Swapping stuff around and planning my day on the water is half the fun. So my approach has been to make them as versatile and reliable as possible.

But this is for my neighbor after all.... My neighbor is a funny guy. I got him all excited about fishing and this vintage gear. I don't even think he likes fishing that much, just being out on the water and being part of the action. He nearly faints when we hook up with anything big. He can't touch fish. Won't eat fish. He looks away when I remove hooks and release. He just moved to Florida and got excited about this stuff. Fixing up this reel is mostly for fun. I am sure the first time he takes it out he will realize even without casting there is a learning curve that he might not be up for...

Would love to see some pictures of customized fishing items as well as other stuff you've done, if you're into it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

That reel will hold about a million yards of 30# braid.  I don't like monofilament but it is, after all, a Monofil.  You sort of have to do what the name says.

thorhammer

Steve is correct- one might conceivably get 600-700yds of 30 lb braid on here, which is the realm of a 30T International  using mono lol.

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on June 16, 2021, 06:41:46 AM
I don't like monofilament but it is, after all, a Monofil.  You sort of have to do what the name says.

Steve could end everything he writes addressed as, "Grasshopper."   ;D

I haven't yet fished braid for surfcasting, but this guy does it successfully on vintage Penns all the time:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLG5BoIEz9Li_oQaEMU3rYQ

Wayne B.

I was doing my daily walk several years ago on a trash day and saw a fishing rod sticking out of a trash bin. I asked the property owner who was standing in the driveway if I could take it and they of course said yes. When I got home I found out it was a Montague 7777 rod. I checked the ebay "wanted" page and someone was looking for that particular rod and sold it for $70. I still know nothing about that rod except there are people, or that one person, who thought that rod had collector value. Just my input for what it is worth!