500, 500L, 500-LH, 500L-LH Jigmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

To bad they didn't put LH in the logo like the good old days. The left hand jigmaster is fairly uncommon, especially one with the factory sticker intact

The LH sticker wasn't made to last beyond first use
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Wow,   2 of them !
  Now that's just plain greedy   ;D

Very nice finds..........

Col

nelz

Aside from the sticker, it looks exactly like a righty. What makes it a lefty?  ???

mo65

Quote from: nelz on December 19, 2019, 05:01:30 PM
Aside from the sticker, it looks exactly like a righty. What makes it a lefty?  ???

It winds #### backerds...LOL! :D  Cool reels Ted! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

It's a left hand cop-out.  If five o'clock was the best ergonomic handle position for a right hand reel then it should have been the best ergonomic handle position for a left hand reel as well. Instead of a lefty side plate they only made a lefty sleeve and star.

Ted, is the handle screw reverse thread?
-steve

-steve

Maxed Out

Quote from: oc1 on December 19, 2019, 08:00:11 PM
It's a left hand cop-out.  If five o'clock was the best ergonomic handle position for a right hand reel then it should have been the best ergonomic handle position for a left hand reel as well. Instead of a lefty side plate they only made a lefty sleeve and star.

Ted, is the handle screw reverse thread?
-steve

-steve

Hey Steve, good question. The star is reverse threads, but the handle nut is standard. I totally agree with your "5 o'clock" reasoning. Penn always used a righty plate on lefty reels, just different internals

The lefty star adjuster baffles me. I'm a "lefty loosy, righty tighty" guy, and would assume most left hand people are too, because not many things are made as "lefty tighty, righty loosy"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

This one threw me a curve ball when I first saw it. I've never seen this box before. In the interest of full disclosure the reel is not left-handed. I will not rest until I find the correct one, or the proper conversion parts.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

QuoteI will not rest until I find the correct one, or the proper conversion parts.

I know who has two of them.............<:O)

1badf350

Oh damn I thought the ones ted posted were newer S versions. The lighting in the picture threw me off
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 19, 2019, 08:43:20 PM
The lefty star adjuster baffles me. I'm a "lefty loosy, righty tighty" guy, and would assume most left hand people are too, because not many things are made as "lefty tighty, righty loosy"
Yeah, good point.  Never thought of it that way.  Maybe since you're looking at the star from above instead of from the side, you still push the front of the star down to increase the drag.
-steve

Donnyboat

I have a rubber handle model, in a navy blue box, spacer bar on one side, & two posts on the other, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ZackBanks

I've acquired a few jigmasters to add to my albacore arsenal.  I'm looking to convert them to Left Hand models, preferably with stainless internals.  If anyone has any leads on these parts, I'd be interested.

ScottThornley

I'm looking for a reel to put on a vintage fiberglass boat rod. Just from what I know from the fiberglass fly rod world, its most likely pre-60s. Unpainted, varnished wraps, Narmco butt, Aftco rollers. Maybe not a top-end rod, but not a cheap rod either. It's an old workhorse, showing at least two rather poor wrap repairs.

At any rate, I'm looking for a matching reel, so I can actually go fish the dang thing, what with it being an old rod of my dad's that has been gathering cobwebs for literally decades. Time to stick a ling or two with it.

My thinking is that a Jigmaster would be about what's right. They may post-date the rod by a little, but not much. Was wondering what to look for when it came to early-mid 1960's Jigmasters. And it was asked above, but I didn't see an answer - when did Penn start using aluminum spools? I'd kind of like to go with one, over plastic or chromed brass.

Scott

oc1

Jigmasters were introduced in 1959.  Aftco also began in 1958.  Narmco begain in the early 1950's.  Do you have a photo for the rod?

If you are going to use it as a boat rod, then also consider the small Senators 1/0, 2/0 or 3/0 depending on line weight.

Swami805

Look for one with a sticker on the sideplate instead of the logo  on it, that would be a late 50's first run jigmaster. If it was me I think I would put a Penn 49 on it, you can get an aluminum spool for it too, might be a better reel for fishing deep for ling cod, easy to find an old on too
Do what you can with that you have where you are