60, 60-LH Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Now I wonder,,,,,,,,,,,, is that a End of Day reel, a rental reel, a Salesman reel or a Ted reel? ;)

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 02, 2016, 10:41:49 PM
Now I wonder,,,,,,,,,,,, is that a End of Day reel, a rental reel, a Salesman reel or a Ted reel? ;)

ANSWER: All of the above :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Someone beat me on an auction for a Long Beach 60 LS, with box, lube and wrench, I hope it was someone here. Mike's book lists the 65LS from 1941; it wasn't in any of the catalogs. I presume this 60LS is similar. I really wanted that reel!  >:( It appears to have a spool with flanges of German silver....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

No worries Sid, another will come along. The reel wasn't correct for the box, but still caught my eye because of the LS box, the different looking spool on a sweet era correct reel, and the mega rare LB60 clamp seat. IMO, the guy that won got a good deal.  8) 8)

sdlehr

Yeah, Ted, I know the spool was wrong for the box, but I'm in the hunt for those German silver spools (I picked one up on a 9/0 earlier today on a BIN, that will be my 4th; I have 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 (2 of those now). I was going to look for a plastic spool for this one and find another reel for the German silver spool. Was. Slow and steady wins the race. I've always had trouble with slow and steady....
Sid Lehr

George4741

Sid and Michael,
After reading your thoughts, and my own feelings, I'm sure my mixed-plate 60 was probably changed by a previous owner.  That's OK with me, as it's an unusual reel with all vintage parts and that's the way it will remain. 

I was also watching that Long Beach 60LS on ebay, and some other vintage Penns, too.  For example, the other day the winning bid on an Ocean Side was $1825.  I'm just a casual collector so I won't bid on anything like those.
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on July 03, 2016, 06:50:44 PM
For example, the other day the winning bid on an Ocean Side was $1825.  I'm just a casual collector so I won't bid on anything like those.
That reel is one of the holy grails of Penn collecting. I'm glad I didn't see it was up for auction.
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on July 03, 2016, 08:20:07 PM
Quote from: George4741 on July 03, 2016, 06:50:44 PM
For example, the other day the winning bid on an Ocean Side was $1825.  I'm just a casual collector so I won't bid on anything like those.
That reel is one of the holy grails of Penn collecting. I'm glad I didn't see it was up for auction.

I missed this one as well.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162117397098

Though, I definately saw the first Generation 16/0.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291799285906

I did cringe when I read this though...

"Drag set has been replaced and has not been used since.
Work was done this year at Scott's Bait & Tackle in Mystic Island, NJ"

Maureen et. al...

If this reel landed on my bench I would advise the customer to keep it 'as is'.

I have been trying to educate a few of the local shops on how to recognize the early/collectable Penn Reels so if they have one with historical significance come accross their benches they can advise their customers accordingly.

So far the only reel that has turned up locally is a Prewar LB deluxe, which BTW, I am heading over to pick up now.

John

Exciting to watch the fireworks.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 03, 2016, 08:25:17 PM
I did cringe when I read this though...

"Drag set has been replaced and has not been used since.
Work was done this year at Scott's Bait & Tackle in Mystic Island, NJ"
Ouch, indeed!
Sid Lehr

George4741

The tailplate on the left is my mis-matched Long Beach 60 and the other one is a 65 with matching plates.  The 60 is not as colorful as Ted's reel but much nicer than the darker 65.  On the 65, a previous owner covered some initials with grey paint. 

Ted, I've never seen the headplate on your reel.  Do the plates match?
George

Long Live the Long Beach!
viurem lliures o morirem

49Freak

So far the only reel that has turned up locally is a Prewar LB deluxe, which BTW, I am heading over to pick up now.

John

I was keeping an eye on a LB Deluxe in not nearly the shape yours is in and didn't keep track of it and lost it. There's always another day. That one is a beauty!

John

sdlehr

Quote from: 49Freak on July 04, 2016, 05:15:20 PM

John

I was keeping an eye on a LB Deluxe in not nearly the shape yours is in and didn't keep track of it and lost it. There's always another day. That one is a beauty!

John

I've been looking for a LB Deluxe (both DL60 and DL65, actually)for a while, they don't pop up on the auction site very often....

Sid
Sid Lehr

49Freak

Quote from: sdlehr on July 04, 2016, 05:22:41 PM

John

John

I've been looking for a LB Deluxe (both DL60 and DL65, actually)for a while, they don't pop up on the auction site very often....

Sid
[/quote]

Well this is going to hurt Sid, but the one I missed was on the Goodwill auction site I learned about from one of your posts and it went for $21.00 with a 209 included. I guess we'll both keep looking.  ;)

John

sdlehr

Quote from: 49Freak on July 04, 2016, 05:49:24 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on July 04, 2016, 05:22:41 PM

John

John

Sid

Well this is going to hurt Sid, but the one I missed was on the Goodwill auction site I learned about from one of your posts and it went for $21.00 with a 209 included. I guess we'll both keep looking.  ;)

John
[/quote]Ouch!
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Quote from: George4741 on July 04, 2016, 04:11:53 PM
The tailplate on the left is my mis-matched Long Beach 60 and the other one is a 65 with matching plates.  The 60 is not as colorful as Ted's reel but much nicer than the darker 65.  On the 65, a previous owner covered some initials with grey paint. 

Ted, I've never seen the headplate on your reel.  Do the plates match?
George

Long Live the Long Beach!

George, the headplate on mine is plain, not mottled like the tail plate. I've seen a few that were brownish head plates, but only 1 or 2 with mottled head plate.

I'm not convinced these speckled tail plates were "replacements" of the originals. I've had a handful of mottled tail plate penns and the patina on the tail plate has always matched the rest of the reel, suggesting it came new with those same plates. Those were tough times and Penn was known for using every part they produced, even if it meant sweeping the floor to have enough to mold the last few plates for each day.