60, 60-LH Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Someone got themselves a 1933 Long Beach today. They beat me at it. I hope it was someone here! It sold with another oldie Long Beach for $240 for the two

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Penn-Long-Beach-reels-in-exc-cond-one-ca-1940s-one-recent-vintage-lot3-/162039558747?nma=true&si=lRREVepzfsjVuiOqQJkEa2SnzY4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

I have a recently aquired prewar LB 65
 LMK if your interested Sid.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15556.msg186511#msg186511

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

That listing surprised me, it sat all week, so I thought it would be a sleeper; but, it woke up at the end. I was not bidding on; but, a friend of mine was and he did not win. The winner had to be a deep pockets guy. it was a nice reel. The 33LB I mean.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

Here is one of the Penn Holy Grails. The 1933 Long Beach with the box and catalog.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 30, 2016, 06:24:55 AM
Here is one of the Penn Holy Grails. The 1933 Long Beach with the box and catalog.

That one is no good Mike, the catalog is torn.  ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat one is no good Mike, the catalog is torn.

You are right. When I saw that damaged catalog I just threw the whole package in the garbage.........................................<:O(

George4741

I have an old Long Beach 60, square edged plates, no part numbers on any parts, etc.  However, this reel has a black headplate and a brown and black speckled tailplate.  Could it have left the Penn factory like this, or did someone else replace one of the original plates?
George

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 01, 2016, 08:26:12 AM
QuoteThat one is no good Mike, the catalog is torn.

You are right. When I saw that damaged catalog I just threw the whole package in the garbage.........................................<:O(

Too bad, I would have paid good money for the catalog if you threw the reel in for free. ::)
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on July 02, 2016, 02:28:04 AM
I have an old Long Beach 60, square edged plates, no part numbers on any parts, etc.  However, this reel has a black headplate and a brown and black speckled tailplate.  Could it have left the Penn factory like this, or did someone else replace one of the original plates?
George
George, two possibilities, as I see it, and Mike will probably be along soon to correct me. Either it was a special order for a rental outfit that wanted to be able to recognize their reels at a glance, or it was a replacement (no telling which side was the original, but when a clicker wore out in the old days the only solution was to replace the tail plate). I'd more easily believe the latter explanation. Let's see what Mike has to say.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have an old Long Beach 60, square edged plates, no part numbers on any parts, etc.  However, this reel has a black headplate and a brown and black speckled tailplate.  Could it have left the Penn factory like this, or did someone else replace one of the original plates?
George

George, two possibilities, as I see it, and Mike will probably be along soon to correct me. Either it was a special order for a rental outfit that wanted to be able to recognize their reels at a glance, or it was a replacement (no telling which side was the original, but when a clicker wore out in the old days the only solution was to replace the tail plate). I'd more easily believe the latter explanation. Let's see what Mike has to say.

Trying to explain why a Mottled tail plate is on a reel is impossible. Either of Sid's explanation may be true or it could be a End of Day reel that came out of the plant that way. Unlikely a rental, the rental reels were more weird than that.

Maxed Out

I agree with Mike, the few rental reels I've seen were about as weird as they come.....just like me  :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

49Freak

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 02, 2016, 04:12:22 PM
I agree with Mike, the few rental reels I've seen were about as weird as they come.....just like me  :D :D

Weird maybe, but definitely beautiful! Who would ever want to cover up that spool with line?  :o

broadway

Weird people attract weird reels, maybe, but damn that reel is a cool one.  Loving the electric green handle and that the spotted plate matches that orange spool. That reel has a lot going for it.
Neat piece, Ted
Dom

sdlehr

I'm with Dom on the "beautiful" descriptor for that reel. I've been eyeing it in your avatar for months now, Ted. It looks even better with that spool, too!

Sid
Sid Lehr