65 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 03, 2016, 08:56:04 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 03, 2016, 08:04:10 PM
QuoteHere is the 65 with the clamp seat.

Ted

That is just plain wrong! No fishing reel is supposed to be that pretty.

...with all due respect(10 tons), I beg to differ :D :D :D. Here is my version of a dressed up LB65 ;). A 65 spool is in there somewhere :o :o :o

Ted

Ted,

Are those factory out rings, or did you do that?  The recent 65 I acquired doesn't have the outer rings.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Maxed Out

Yes they are factory outer rings. The reel is a "deluxe" lb60, and only made for a few years from mid 30's to early 40's. This was prior to the small senators, so the deluxe long beach is actually a senator, but labeled as a long beach deluxe

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

kmstorm64

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 20, 2019, 07:35:31 PM

Yes they are factory outer rings. The reel is a "deluxe" lb60, and only made for a few years from mid 30's to early 40's. This was prior to the small senators, so the deluxe long beach is actually a senator, but labeled as a long beach deluxe

Ted

Got it!

kmstorm64

I am guessing mine must be plain jane newer model, as it doesn't have all that fancy artwork. This is my recent St. Vincent de Paul's $4.50 reel.  Green corrosion is pre-cleaning, and disassembled images are post cleaning. A lot of chrome pitting I am sorry to say.

Deepennz

Hi There,
In 1941 Penn produced the #65LS -  A plastic spooled version of the Penn 65 - although there was no mention of the plastic spool in the 1941,1942 catalogues.
This same spool, with that rib where the arbor meets the flange, was also used in the Delmar 286.
After the war, in 1946 -1948, Penn produced in their catalogues an ad. for the #60, #65, with a drawing of a LB60, with a plastic spool. Whilst the advert makes no mention about the make up of the spools, the yardages for the two models is clearly stated - Penn 60...200 yds no9
                                                                                                                                                     penn 65...250 yds no9, leaving collectors to believe that Penn was indeed producing plastic spooled #65's in 1946 - 1948.
The problem I have is that I cannot find any. It is relatively easy to find a LB 60 with that mid/late '40's smooth/more sculpted arbor/flange - but the #65 spool, with those design additions, is seemingly nonexistent. If it does exist, this spool would have only had a 3year production run, just for that one model(#65).
Has anybody seen this spool? Does it exist?
Cheers
Martin

thorhammer

I bet Ted has all three year's worth in his safe  ;D

milne

Hi Martin,
              This is a real interesting topic, I know Ted is well verse with this topic, he made comment on one of my LS models regarding the additional reel seat option when I got mine.
I certainly don't have the answer here, but I was lucky enough to get both a 60ls and a 65LS boxed..
The 60ls has the plastic spool with the rib in the arbour, the 65LS has the smooth arbour. It was quite difficult in understanding there dates, as per mikes book stating that it wasn't listed in the catalogue. Mine are both standard yardage, but my 60LS also has that hex clicker, the 65LS has the standard hershy type.  I don't have too many Longbeach reels, which I am trying to do something about that  ;D.
Sorry to go off topic here, I just found the whole LS topic and there lack of info on the models very interesting.
The 200 and 250 models, with plastic spools is something I have never noticed before, I'm sure Ted or even Mike may have some interesting tid bits to add on these...

Col

Maxed Out

Hey Martin, any lb65 with a plastic spool is not an easy find. I do have one collecting dust that falls into 1946-48 category. It's all yours if you want it

Ted

mo65

Yes indeed...the ribbed arbor plastic 65 spool is tougher to find than the corresponding 60 plastic spool. It took me a good long while to find one, since I wasn't cool with paying collector's price. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Deepennz

Hi there,
Col.... thanks for the reply and photo -I also have both those L.S boxes, and reels.  Like yours, my 60 Ls also has a hex clicker, and that smooth, flat counterweight. I believe that you have posted a picture of your 60Ls tailplate elsewhere? and it has the fisherman engraving, no writing and the 'kiss' clicker?. If so, it is identical to mine.
There seems to be some confusion wrt the crossplate/reel foot on the pre war Long beaches. If you look at the 1940 catalogue (page 64 Mike's yellow book) all the long beaches are shown in one drawing (#60) with the standard, non clamp reel foot. All these feet came with yardage stamped on them.
In 1941 Penn changed the set up. The catalogue for 1941 now has a half page presentation of the LB60, 65 and the Seagate 125 (page78/yellow bk)
The drawing of the LB60 clearly shows the reel has a clamped reel foot. I have to assume from the ad. that the LB65 also came with a clamped reel foot.  The Seagate has the standard seat and plastic spool.
The catalogue drawing for the LB66,67 (page 82 y/bk) shows these also changed to the clamped reel foot. Some of the early clamped feet still had their yardage stamped on them.
This same pattern is repeated in the 1942 catalogue (pages 92, 96 Yellow bk). Although  the LB60 and LB65 both had plastic spools as per Mo's photo (thanks Mo!!) their point of difference (and hence price difference) was that they had the clamped reel foot -  the Seagate didn't. Both Col's 60Ls and Mo's 65Ls have the era correct clamped seat.
In the 1946 catalogue (Page 108 yellow/bk)  the LB60, 65 are clearly shown with just the standard non clamp seat, and plastic spool. The larger LB's retain their clamped stands. The Seagate is gone!!
So Col.. this is were it gets interesting. That Ls 65 reel in that photo of yours doesn't have a clamped reel seat, and it also seems to have a spool without that 'rib' ie is it an early '46 reel? ..any chance of a close up of that spool?

Hi Ted,
Obviously I thought of you and your collection of early LB's when I asked about the '46 -'48 LB65 spools ... What's interesting is that for a supposed production run of 3 years, they seem so elusive!! I would love to see a photo of your reel and spool...

Mike, Dom, Chris, John....?  Any thoughts?

Cheers
Martin

Maxed Out

Martin, that same 1941 catalog has another page showing the prices of optional clamp seat. Those "optional" clamp seats were discontinued in the 1949 catalog.

Here is a 46'-48' lb65. It has the original seat

Maxed Out

...oh, and a little extra light shows mottled sideplates on this one, but the spool is black

milne

Ted, that last reel with the mottled side plates is a beauty.....

Hi Martin,  The whole LS thing is quite confusing, I also thought, as Ted said, that it was an optional extra for the reel seat and the standard was the open one.  I've taken a photo of the spool for my 65LS, I honestly don't know how to exactly date this, it's a 300 yard reel, as per the box, but I haven't crossed referenced to catalogues, definitely no ribbed area in the arbor, its smooth,  unlike the 60LS which has the defined ridge in the arbour.
I hope the photo comes out ok, but you can see how the arbour is smooth...  
I'm so glad I snared these two long beach boxed LS reels, they were both from Ray's collection and I had absolutely no idea of how much of an anomaly they were when I bought them.....
Hope this photo comes out...

Col

Cuttyhunker

Replacing the sleeves on some 65's I found one with a 3-60 bridge that Mo65 said earlier in this thread would fit the 65, however the 98-60 sleeve has a too large hole, works on the 3-66 not the 3-60. The one with the 60 bridge is an older reel and had been clearly opened up in the past.. Was the 3-60 original to the older 65's or a retrofit?  Mystic makes no comment about the 3-60 in the 65 only the 3-66.   Just curious.
Doomed from childhood

RowdyW

Later LB 60's had a larger diameter post on the bridge.      Rudy