Senator 114, 114-LH

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Gfish

Hmmm, a 6/0 Senator as a fly reel? Sure it's nota tad heavy?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tbrom

Quote from: Gfish on July 08, 2017, 09:58:35 PM
Hmmm, a 6/0 Senator as a fly reel? Sure it's nota tad heavy?
Gfish

Now this is where I should say you have never seen the fish I catch.

Tbrom

Quote from: TARFU on July 08, 2017, 07:55:42 PM
TB that was a steal....good job on picking that up.....based on the part numbers present on the reel, we can only state it was built after 1950....that is basically when Penn started using part numbers on all the parts......if you had any paper work like a catalogue we could pin point the year.....if you could show us a picture of the bend in the handle we might be able to provide a solution......Bill

I figured the date would be tough to narrow. I know an approximate date from the original owner. He actually was unsure. Here are a couple pics of the handle.

RowdyW

It can probably be straightened in a padded vise & padded pliers or a soft mallet AFTER it is removed from the reel.            Rudy

Shark Hunter

The way that handle is bent. I say you need to look for a new one.
Its right on the spindle.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Rudy says yes, Daron says no, I'm going to ride the fence and say you'll only find out by trying.... you'll probably disrupt the plating bending it back, but I'd put it in a wood-padded vice and give it a shot; it's not of any use as it is.... but be prepared to buy a new one, as it's likely the peen will be damaged.... if you're really industrious you can try re-peening it...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on July 09, 2017, 01:59:00 PM
Rudy says yes, Daron says no, I'm going to ride the fence and say you'll only find out by trying....
Sid
That is always the case with everything we do here.

Tbrom, you should be able to do it, but it isn't as easy as it looks. What has happened the peened brass shaft has twisted a little, getting the handle shaft straight as it was doesn't solve the problem, you will still need to peen back tight or the shaft will be too loose.
Here is why it isn't an easy job as it looks. There is about 1/4" of space from the tip of the shaft to the handle knob, unless you remove the knob you will have a hard time getting the shaft tight.
Here are some idea on how to remove the knob, so you could rest the tip of the shaft on a piece of wood while you peen the back side.:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13124.msg130901#msg130901
I have a 1 ton press and have had succes using it as well, but not on knobs for larger reels, as the 10/0 and up.
If you're not concerned on looks, drill out the oil port from the knob, rest a metal scrap on the tip of the shaft and peen the back side. This could be a bolt of the correct size, or anything you have laying around, make sure it isn't too long.

If you do not wish to deal with all of the above, get yourself a replacement, those are not that costly. With that said, we like to fix things around here :)
Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tbrom

Thanks for the info. I like to fix things as well and love the challenge. The shaft is already loose and is going to need tightened. If I do need to replace the entire handle what should I expect to pay? I have looked on the auction site and they vary wildly. I would like to keep the amber or butterscotch handle color. Again thank you all for your wealth of knowledge. I fear this could be the start of another addictive hobbie.

Tbrom

I made an oak sandwich and at first tried to just muscle it back in a vice. A little improvement but not what I wanted. I then taped the handle and hit it with a heavy hammer. It is pretty good I did leave a little scar on the inside but it is better than it was. Now to try and peen the handle as Alto said.

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 09, 2017, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on July 09, 2017, 01:59:00 PM
Rudy says yes, Daron says no, I'm going to ride the fence and say you'll only find out by trying....
Sid
That is always the case with everything we do here.

Tbrom, you should be able to do it, but it isn't as easy as it looks. What has happened the peened brass shaft has twisted a little, getting the handle shaft straight as it was doesn't solve the problem, you will still need to peen back tight or the shaft will be too loose.
Here is why it isn't an easy job as it looks. There is about 1/4" of space from the tip of the shaft to the handle knob, unless you remove the knob you will have a hard time getting the shaft tight.
Here are some idea on how to remove the knob, so you could rest the tip of the shaft on a piece of wood while you peen the back side.:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13124.msg130901#msg130901
I have a 1 ton press and have had succes using it as well, but not on knobs for larger reels, as the 10/0 and up.
If you're not concerned on looks, drill out the oil port from the knob, rest a metal scrap on the tip of the shaft and peen the back side. This could be a bolt of the correct size, or anything you have laying around, make sure it isn't too long.

If you do not wish to deal with all of the above, get yourself a replacement, those are not that costly. With that said, we like to fix things around here :)
Good luck!

Sal

Maxed Out

This black 114 caught my eye and couldn't keep myself from pulling the trigger. I'm a huge fan of the early 50's 6/0 with cb handle. This model also has outer drag access.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Yes sir...that's a dandy Ted! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Nice. The 6/0's get overlooked around here.