66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

bearing looks non-numbered. with the shape of the knurl and the knob color i'd say pre-war

handi2

Thanks,

The sideplates are flat and thick. Its a customer reel he got from his grandfather. He is going to fish it. Steel gear.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn Chronology

Hard to see the counter weight, that would be the true tell. I would guess at late 1940's. A early post war reel.

oc1

John, or Mike, or whoever... From the photos it looks like there is a number stamped on the tail plate bushing and on the handle screw.  But, it is only about three digits and not the full hyphenated part number.  Was this some sort of transitional thing?

Great that he is going to fish with it Keith.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve could that be 'OIL' :-\

oc1

Yeah, you're right Chris.  Sorry for the confusion.  I'm so dumb.
-steve

handi2

The counter weight is smooth all the way around.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe counter weight is smooth all the way around.

That is a trait of a late 1940's handle style.

grekim

Hey guys,
I have a LB 66 which sounds like the spool is rubbing when in free spool if the reel is tilted so that the handle side is below it.  But, I'm not hearing anything when the gears are engaged.  I was thinking it might need a new set of clutch springs.  If the spool were warped I thought I might see that and it should make noise when gears are engaged too, maybe.  I probably would not be tilting the reel in that way, but I shouldn't fish it, right?  Love the handle knob on this thing...it must be older being a darker red and nicer detail in my opinion.
Educating fish on every trip

Reel 224

either needs adjustment by taking the play out of the spool side to side movement to a 1/10" or may be worn side bearing...................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Ron Jones

If the noise is from the frame rubbing, I agree with Joe. It may also be the pinion not completely disengaging from the spool (I've made the mistake.) In that case, bending the ears on the clutch so they pull the pinion back a little further will do the job.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

grekim

So far I have ruled out the handle side bearing...swapped it out with one in a smooth running LB 66 and no improvement.   It also is a 2 pulse per rotation problem.  Thanks for the ideas.

Ron Jones

2 pulse per rotation sounds an awful lot like the pinion to me. I lived with this A LOT before Alan taught me how to fix it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

grekim

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 12, 2018, 03:23:56 PM
2 pulse per rotation sounds an awful lot like the pinion to me. I lived with this A LOT before Alan taught me how to fix it.
Ron

Do you mean a problem with the pinion itself (like being worn) or that it is not disengaging.  If the latter, then rather than bending the yoke (I'm a little nervous about that) I am thinking about replacing the clutch springs.

Edit:   My apologies...I was confused on how it worked.  Springs compressed = spool disengaged.  Springs are not the problem.   I will try bending ever so slightly!

grekim

It worked!!  For the record, what I purposely bent the ears on was the "eccentric jack" (part 11-66).  Took 3 tries to get it.  1st time not enough.   2nd time too much / would not get into gear.  Posted a picture of the knob because it seems a little older and less common.  Well, we shall fish her this weekend.  Thanks gentlemen!