66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Thanks for posting your fix. I am glad you worked it out..........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Quote from: grekim on September 12, 2018, 11:42:50 PM
It worked!!  For the record, what I purposely bent the ears on was the "eccentric jack" (part 11-66).  Took 3 tries to get it.  1st time not enough.   2nd time too much / would not get into gear.  Posted a picture of the knob because it seems a little older and less common.  Well, we shall fish her this weekend.  Thanks gentlemen!

This is one of those common problems that rears it's head quite often...glad it worked for you! I have a few reels myself that could benefit from this fix. Too bad you have to completely disassemble to perform it...oh well...the practice is good for us all! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

grekim

Quote from: mo65 on September 13, 2018, 06:36:48 PM
Quote from: grekim on September 12, 2018, 11:42:50 PM
It worked!!  For the record, what I purposely bent the ears on was the "eccentric jack" (part 11-66).  Took 3 tries to get it.  1st time not enough.   2nd time too much / would not get into gear.  Posted a picture of the knob because it seems a little older and less common.  Well, we shall fish her this weekend.  Thanks gentlemen!

This is one of those common problems that rears it's head quite often...glad it worked for you! I have a few reels myself that could benefit from this fix. Too bad you have to completely disassemble to perform it...oh well...the practice is good for us all! 8)8)

A first for me.  It made me realize that should store my reels in the "on" position so that clutch springs are uncompressed.  Also, I am wondering if instead of bending the jack, if putting some washers on top of the yolk would be effective.  Seems that bending the ears increases the range of movement in/out, wheras adding some washers would keep the range, but set the place where it moves a little "deeper".  Let's just say I didn't feel good about bending parts.

Educating fish on every trip

Reel 224

Want to have a laugh. I worked on a 155 today that had just about the same problem. It needed full service so I broke it down and cleaned it up. Then I proceeded to attack the free spool and clicking problem like it was the clutch situation. I found that the pinon was not clearing the bridge so I tried bending the ears on the Ecc. jack, after doing that it was no better.

Hmmm what the heck ??? Then I happened to look at the eccentric lever and eccentric low and behold there was play in it back and forth. I took the old lever off and replaced it with a new one, it tightened it up and it worked perfect. So there is another solution to the same situation.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

grekim

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 13, 2018, 11:47:46 PM
Want to have a laugh. I worked on a 155 today that had just about the same problem. It needed full service so I broke it down and cleaned it up. Then I proceeded to attack the free spool and clicking problem like it was the clutch situation. I found that the pinon was not clearing the bridge so I tried bending the ears on the Ecc. jack, after doing that it was no better.

Hmmm what the heck ??? Then I happened to look at the eccentric lever and eccentric low and behold there was play in it back and forth. I took the old lever off and replaced it with a new one, it tightened it up and it worked perfect. So there is another solution to the same situation.

Joe   

Nice!  Good to keep an open mind on these matters.
Educating fish on every trip