Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Deepennz

Hi there,
With over 500 views, and nothing showing, I thought I would post a few pictures of my little collection of '79's.
I promise a happy ending - everybody likes a happy ending!!
The Sea Mate 79 was introduced by Penn in 1954 - a low cost, no star drag, no anti reverse, 200yd reel.
Here is my first year  '79 -

As you can see, it came with a wooden handle, and a stippled head and tail plate.

Deepennz

By 1956 the Sea Mate changed to the version most commonly found today -
Gone was the stippling and the wooden handle was replaced with the prevailing plastic handle

That mottled plastic was also common in that era among a range of Penn low cost reels.

Deepennz

And the happy ending I promised -
Here is a cute little '79 from England I found

Front on all appears normal but-

Yes - a white spool '79 Sea Mate!! When I found this reel it had a spool full of nylon, and I assumed it was a franken reel
with a spool from the early 1940's. It wasn't until I had stripped all the line off that I realised that it was something special!!
This is the only small white spool reel that I have seen from the late '50's - Only Penn would have the imagination to make such a different reel.

I find this reel to be reely attractive - with it's dark tan mottled side plates, the golden colored, nickle plated posts, reel stand and handle blade, that lipstick red handle nob, and of course that white spool - its almost as pretty as my first girlfriend!!! ;D ;D ;D

Crow

That white spool IS pretty special !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Very nice reel,,,,, :D the white spool is for rentals,,,,,, ;D