Live Bait Caster 259, 259L

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Good job ! It looks to be a good "weapon" !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on November 15, 2017, 08:54:07 PM
The "almost final" product. Including the d. dog(alternating) and the "A Squared" cast control bushing. Gotta stronger, heavier 259 Live Bait Caster that I feel more confident fishin with, usin up to about 15lbs. a drag.

Really surprised that every thing still works well after these mods.:milling the head plate fora 2nd dog; 6 new screw holes fora extra frame post & 3-screw 113-4/0 stand; ss 2nd gen. gear sleeve, 3-99 bridge plate with a fatter stud; 5+1 drag stack; the above mentioned bushing and a Pro Challenger EVA knob ona position-adjustable handle, the orgins of which I've forgotten. So I got a stronger framed, higher torque(3.5:1 vs 4:1 gear ratio) version of a Jig Master, with a smoother drag and more functional handle with very little back -play, AND BUILDIN IT WAS FUN!

Very nice, Gregg!   I learned a few things from your making of this reel.

Quote from: Gfish
So cool to be on this forum where smart/skilled people innovate and improve stuff, then I can come along and copy their creativity.
Gfish

I feel the same way. 

mo65

That's a fine lookin' job Gfish. Your 259 has to be rock solid with the 113H stand and the additional post. I bet the sound of the alternating dogs is sweet too! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on November 08, 2017, 06:48:42 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on November 07, 2017, 10:55:57 PM
.....I was able to narrow a 113 4/0 with just a slight bit of engineering, but you wouldn't know by looking. Best part is it's still 100% factory original parts......it's now a 99 width 4/0  ;D  ;D

Ted

What's the stand size/part #?
Gfish

Greg,

I haven't verified this, but after thinking for a while, I'm pretty sure Ted used a 30-99 stand.   It's a bit obvious when he says, "99 width."  I think he was testing us. ::)  I've recently become fascinated with the 99 width reels, and I think my 259 creation is going to be that width.  To me it seems like the the "just right" width to height ratio -- golden mean.  

I've neglected to get your package in the mail, but will soon.

Cheers,

/Joe

broadway

Greg,
   For the future I have found two ways to fill the screw holes... first, dremel off a couple of screw heads (same size as the others on the reel) leaving a little nib maybe a 1/16".  Next get some super glue or epoxy and put in hole (put tape on back side of plate to prevent glue from going through).  Lastly place the screw heads in the glue/epoxy making sure they're straight and voila.  Leaving the little nib on the screw helps in keeping the screw aligned when it rests in the glue.
The other is to use super stubby screws with a slightly larger diameter and screw them in the plate, but this way the screw heads won't be exactly the same, but you can get close.
Nice job hooking hat reel up.
Best,
Dom

Gfish

Quote from: Decker on November 30, 2017, 04:42:41 PM
Quote from: Gfish on November 08, 2017, 06:48:42 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on November 07, 2017, 10:55:57 PM
.....I was able to narrow a 113 4/0 with just a slight bit of engineering, but you wouldn't know by looking. Best part is it's still 100% factory original parts......it's now a 99 width 4/0  ;D  ;D

Ted

What's the stand size/part #?
Gfish

Greg,

I haven't verified this, but after thinking for a while, I'm pretty sure Ted used a 30-99 stand.   It's a bit obvious when he says, "99 width."  I think he was testing us. ::)  I've recently become fascinated with the 99 width reels, and I think my 259 creation is going to be that width.  To me it seems like the the "just right" width to height ratio -- golden mean.  

I've neglected to get your package in the mail, but will soon.

Cheers,

/Joe

Yeah, and now ta figure out the orgin of the posts, 99's?

Agree with you about the 99 width. The CC/Tiburon 501 I built's got strengh & weight advantages, but not the line capacity a the wider ones. The CC 500 kit I got's gonna have the line cap., but a little more difficult to handle when reeling in. Got the CC 99 kit also--- that one's in the zone.

So, the box arrived, but it's waitin for you? Or, did it not arrive yet?, 'cause I mighta tossed the reciept with the shipping # on it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Quote from: basto on November 30, 2017, 09:32:01 PM
Ted
If you narrowed a 99 with a 2/0 stand, what spool may fit?
yeah?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Quote from: broadway on November 30, 2017, 08:50:03 PM
Greg,
  For the future I have found two ways to fill the screw holes... first, dremel off a couple of screw heads (same size as the others on the reel) leaving a little nib maybe a 1/16".  Next get some super glue or epoxy and put in hole (put tape on back side of plate to prevent glue from going through).  Lastly place the screw heads in the glue/epoxy making sure they're straight and voila.  Leaving the little nib on the screw helps in keeping the screw aligned when it rests in the glue.
The other is to use super stubby screws with a slightly larger diameter and screw them in the plate, but this way the screw heads won't be exactly the same, but you can get close.
Nice job hooking hat reel up.
Best,
Dom

Used the first thing you told me about. Tried superglue on one side and epoxy on the other. Picture has an arrow poining at the screw. So far, so good. Thanks Hoss! You can see how I tilted the reel forward on it's axis and that the 4/0 stand was not an exact fit, as the middle screw barely made it through the outside ring and the edge of the stand sticks out slightly from the inside ring.
Gfish

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on October 29, 2017, 02:43:44 PM
   I picked up a left handed 259 a few days ago. At first I though something was wrong when I cranked the handle...hee hee...caught me off guard. Did they make a lot of these 259 lefties?

This find was inspired by Mo and his lefty 259

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Beautiful, Ted!

That is a tough combo to find.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

That's a great find Ted.  I think I have the parts to convert one of my 259s to a lefty for my son.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Decker

Is it me or does Ted seem to be operating at a whole different level?

Maxed Out

Quote from: Decker on January 05, 2018, 09:56:10 PM
Is it me or does Ted seem to be operating at a whole different level?

I'll answer that......it's very simple, I click on new listing on ebay and there it was, just got listed for $45 and free shipping. Just no way I could stop myself from hitting the buy it now icon.

That's my secret....Hope that helps  ;)  ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!