Calling all Long beach Deluxe owners

Started by 1badf350, July 08, 2020, 01:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepennz

So we have established that the 1940/1941 LBDL 60/65's were produced with an etched tail plate and 'kiss clicker', which has me wondering what about the DL66, with a larger tail plate.
I have 2 66's - both waffle clicker, plain tail plate, late 30's models.
Does anyone have a 1940/1941, kiss clicker LBDL66, and if so - what is the tail plate like?

Cheers
Martin

moondog371

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 09, 2020, 12:15:07 PM
QuoteIts similar to a 259 long beach live bait caster, but no fishing boat. On the 259 the lighthouse sits on a cliff. This one looks like it sits on a beach or something. Also the clouds are different

Here we go. I thought I had seen it before. I now remember the one Ray had. I feel it is the last version of the DeLuxe models. These pictures were sent to me me by a Mr. Gary Mooney. This reel has all the bells and whistles. I especially like the knurled cross bar. When you see that feature, you know it is a pre-war reel. Thank you Gary!
your welcome mike ,and thank you for posting the pics,and the books and all the info !

moondog371

your welcome mike ,and thank you for posting the pics . ty for the info and the books .

Penn Chronology

Quoteyour welcome mike ,and thank you for posting the pics . ty for the info and the books .

My pleasure. Glad we answered some questions here.

broadway

Martin,
   My DL 66 is with a plain tailplate and waffle clicker.
Best
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: Deepennz on July 09, 2020, 03:44:06 PMSo we have established that the 1940/1941 LBDL 60/65's were produced with an etched tail plate and 'kiss clicker', which has me wondering what about the DL66, with a larger tail plate.
I have 2 66's - both waffle clicker, plain tail plate, late 30's models.
Does anyone have a 1940/1941, kiss clicker LBDL66, and if so - what is the tail plate like?

Cheers
Martin

Hello Martin, 2 1/2 years later I found the answer to your question. Later DL66 does have picture plate. I'll try and locate it for a pic. Here is the headplate view from my phone files
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Beautiful example, Mr. Shiny reel Ted. You got a technique for bringing back the finish that I wish I had, for rainy day projects.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Not sure if I have any of those, or not.

Started to go through the extra storage container last week —- in anticipation of getting rid of most of the old parts, reels, and other tackle stuff —- but weather got in the way.

So after this next storm, if we don't get too much snow —- I will give it another go.

This is basically early Spring Cleaning of stuff I haven't touched or used or even recall what is in there for the last 20+ years.

Got rid of most of my Penn conventional reels & parts a couple of years ago.  There will probably be more to discover as I get into the dark recesses and bottoms of old crates.

Here is an older Long Beach with an engraved tail-plate and a waffle clicker, wood crank knob —- but I don't know the details.

Found a couple more crates of old Penns —- 80's, 85's, LB's, Senators, Seagates, Seafords, LWD's, etc..

Guess after cleaning out the storage container —- it will be a good time for a yard sale.

Mostly just work on (4) quality brands of vintage spinners these days.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Deepennz

Hi Ted,
Beautiful reel - you sure do have a knack of finding the shiny ones!
Since I wrote that question 2 years ago I have found a (not so shiny!) 1940 LB deluxe 66 - and realized that all the LBdl's have the same tail plate. I had hoped that we would find a new, different, picture tailplate.
No such luck!!
Keep showing us your treasures - I always enjoy your posts.
Thank you!!
Martin