49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

It sure looks like a 1st year 49, but it has a later metal spool. The 49 only had plastic spool up to 1950. If you decide you'd like an original early spool, just shoot me a pm

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

I assumed the spool had been replaced, at some point....should it have the 'brown" plastic spool ? The "Black" plastic is later "issue," I believe ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

I have the correct brown spool for your reel and it's all yours if you decide you want it

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
With that handle it could well be a 1938 model, produced after the '38 catalogue was printed, but they can be found -as you have. I believe that Brian Purrone even has one with the original '38 box, complete with a picture of that handle on the front - check out his web page.
Great find!!!
Cheers
Martin

broadway

Nice snag, Crow.  Had I not fallen asleep I would've been a bidder. I had been watching that for a week, but with one hour of sleep, lots of work, and the excessive heat, I couldn't hang.
It's a 1938 as Martin said, that handle is unique to that model and that year. They are super hard to find. I have only seen Brian's and one other I missed the boat on  a few years back.
You can clean her up with any other 49 that's from that era, so you can restore this one nicely.
Well done,
Dom

Crow

Rough, or not, I knew I wanted that handle ! The other two reels don't "do a lot" for me, although, they both have thumb brakes, and those always trip my trigger. I guess I'll replace the spool, with the one that Ted offered....to be "age correct", on that....but I'm thinking "clean" doesn't necessarily mean "shiny", so , maybe, all the other stuff should stay "original" to the reel ???. Nothing will happen very quickly, anyway...so I have lots of time to "ponder" over it :D..

broadway

That's entirely up to the owner, you.
My first priority is era correct.
Priority two is make it as nice as I can.
No Frankenstein reels here. Every vintage reel in my collection even has leather drags.
The first generation of members here on AT even before me in '10 was a guy that went by the name "Turboal" who gave me a bag of leather drags that had to have 200 washers in it. I have about 10 washers left.
Do what works for you and your collection,
Best
Dom

AC49

Nice find Crow !!

When you get the reel please check the star drag wheel size.
I have seen some of the older Penn 49 reels that have 10-60 size drag wheels (some numbered some not) and was wondering if this occurred before the larger 10-49 size.  ??? ???

Will wait on your findings or anyone else's that might know.

Regards
AC49

Crow

I'll check, and post my "findings", AC49....looking at the picture off ebay, and judging by the length of the "arms" on the star, in relation to the upper bridge screws.....it *appears* they are the 'short' ones ???. But I will check, for sure, when it arrives.

foakes

I know and appreciate the fact that most of you guys are into keeping the original wear and patina on your collections — just cleaned up as much as possible...

But in looking through around 300 loose, mostly new, Penn plates — There are about (30) 49, 149, Supers, and a couple of 349 tailplates in the bins.  These are tail & head plates.

None as old as waffle clickers — but they appear to be NOS from the 50's?

Plus a couple of dozen rings.

If anyone needs something, let me know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: broadway on July 18, 2019, 03:21:17 PM
My first priority is era correct. Every vintage reel in my collection even has leather drags.

I hear ya bro...I like to keep my shelfies correct too. Only problem is finding those NOS leather drags now...they're getting scarce. I've got a nice pile of smashed flat/burnt black ones...anyone interested? :D Great find Crow! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Yeah, I have a cigar box collection of "take out" washers...not sure just why I'm saving them ???.

Gfish

Quote from: Crow on July 17, 2019, 10:19:10 PM
Here's the listing....looks like the guy needed a new screwdriver, REAL bad !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-Vintage-reels-Pflueger-Oceanic-Ocean-City-Sea-Girt-Penn-49-Deep-Sea-/173952006703?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageN

Crow, couldn't see the 49 in the e-bay reference. Can you possibly post a picture when you get it? Thanks.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Crow, couldn't see the 49 in the e-bay reference. Can you possibly post a picture when you get it? Thanks.

———————————————

Here they are, Greg —

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.