49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: Crow on July 29, 2019, 03:10:00 PM
     So, I'm assuming that the "A" spools, AND the "regular" 49 series spools followed the same "evolution" ?  The "brown" plastic ones (1st issue) were bakelite (some sort of resin, with powdered sawdust as a filler), and had no form of reinforcement ribbing....the "black" plastic" were also a form of bakelite, but used glass fibers for "filler", and added ribs...in several configurations over the years ? Were the "metal" spools always (from day one) available as an option on the"regular" 49 reels ? And, again an assumption, metal spools were never made for the "A" series, so they remained either "brown", or "black" plastic, throughout the run ?    Thanks !

Metal spool for a standard 49 first became available in 1950

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

If you want wide metal spool, I suggest moving up to the 349. Then you can get the Wahoo Special wide version and have the option of fast or slow gearing.

Crow

Another 49 question, but on a different reel: I'm "attempting" to convert one to "left hand".....got the gear set from a guy on e bay, and the "bridge / sleeve assy., and star, dog and spring assy., and a 'left and" eccentric spring" from Mystic. According to the way I read the info on Mystic's site, the head plate (right hand) will work, so, I'm utilizing the original from the reel I'm converting. 1st problem is the "left hand star" won't thread very far down the "left hand" sleeve ...it starts fine, but when it reaches the point that the "handle flats" are fully exposed, it gets TIGHT ! Examining the treads on the sleeve, at the point they get tight, the tops of the threads appear "flattened off"....like maybe the tread isn't "deep enough". I'm thinking that I'll contact Mystic, and query them on the issue, and probably order another left hand sleeve, while I'm at it....as I'm *sure* the issue is the sleeve thread (external), rather than the star thread (internal). I may try a little work with a thread -pitch file, to see if that might remedy the problem ( I don't have left handed threading tools , in that size/ pitch, to use as chasers). That's "problem #1, problem #2....at least I think its a problem, as I'm not understanding it, is, the eccentric spring I received....a "left hand" one, *appears to be identical to the one already in the reel, and I'm wondering if the spring (left handed) is only used on a true, left hand head plate ? And, if you use a "right hand" head plate, the spring is the same ? I haven't played around trying to change the spring, or even to see how the eccentric actuates the dog (I'm still doing "bridge/ sleeve" work !), so, it's possible the second issue will "solve itself"(or at least the "right way" will become apparent) when the bridge and dog are installed. If anybody has been down this road before...either a left handed conversion, or the "tight thread" issue, any tips would be appreciated !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

CapeFish

there is a collection of left handed reels for sale here, not sure if they are still avsailable or if they can be shipped to the US??

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=111002&forum_id=115

mikeysm

Look at the ciil on the spring is wound. I believe one is on top and the other on the bottom. On my conversion I noticed the same thing. It's been awhile so I'm not sure.

Mike

Crow

I received the "new" bridge / sleeve assembly, and got the reel put together, yesterday (I'll post a couple pix, later), and spent quite a while "eye balling", and "checking" the eccentric springs......I STILL see no difference between "what I had", and "what I got" ??? Anyway, the eccentric that dis-engages the dog works like it should, so I'm calling it "done", the only other issue was trying to figure out how the dog spring (which is "attached" to the LH dog) had to be positioned...that took a bit of "pondering" :D. The reel I started with was in "nearly new" condition...looked to have had very little use...except for the handle knob spindle being loose. When time permits, I have a "plan" to tighten those (if they aren't REALLY wobbled out!), and want to give it a try. I need to try to find one of the "backwards" handles (where the "s-curve" in the arm is "swept" the other way), as I think it would look "better". The "backwards" handles for 49's that I have are all the older, no part #, coin - edge, style, with larger knobs.
   Anyway, another "thank you" for the help, and to Mystic, for taking care of the issue !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

The left hand "conversion"

Crow

Fred very kindly "fixed me up" with some original drag washers (Thanks, again, Fred!!), and some trim rings, so, I took advantage of a "rain day" , yesterday, and started assembly of the '38 model 49. At some point in it's life, it looked like the "crud' was sandpapered off....LOTS of scratches ! They buffed out , pretty well, on the plates...the handle...not so much :-\. Anyway, when I get a "correct" spool, I can buckle it up, and call it done.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Ted (Maxed out) is sending me a "brown plastic" (I guess it's really bakelite) spool....that, as far as I've heard, anyway, would be the "correct" one for the age of the reel.

milne

That's going to look real Schmick when finished Crow,   Luv that style handle.
Don't forget a completed Pic with the plastic spool,   it will be a cool looking reel for sure...

Col

Crow

Received a box from Ted, just a few minutes ago....what a treasure trove !  The "correct" spool for the old 49......a jar of "home canned" albacore.....A  whole slew of surfmaster parts...in a surfmaster BOX, plus, a #8 catalog !! :o.  I'll *try* to attach a pic, but, my "usual" computer , as well as my "spare" "usual" computer , are in the shop, so....this may not work!

Crow

Ron Jones

You need to set that jar aside for a special occasion. Ted's tuna is something special.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Finally, the brown spool finds a rightful home. I've had that spool for about 15 years. My dad used to repair reels and he would add newer spools to older reels, not knowing that the reels may have been ancient artifacts. Thanks to Mike's book we now have knowledge to do things era correct

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!