49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Herewith some pics, it has some green corrosion, it feels pretty slick though with decent freespool

CapeFish

They had this beast for sale as well, a Senator II 114 H with a red spool, same price R249 or around $17. It definitely seems like the bearings on this one are toast though.

Maxed Out

Wow, just saw this.

Great find on both reels..... the 114h for $17 is unheard of.....The spool alone is worth $50
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

CapeFish

I haven't seen such a red spool reel before, is it an anniversary edition? In hindsight maybe I should have just bought them and could have got them as far as Canada when my brother visits again.  I know a tackle trader that goes to the US quite a lot, but he is usually loaded to the hilt when he goes over. Alas they are most likely sold and being fished totally into the ground on a subsistence or commercial boat.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

PeteRocck

Hi
I own 2 Penn #49  Reels. I'm looking to upgrade these two. I've already upgraded to carbon drag washers and steel main gear. I'm looking to upgrade the bridge and gear sleeve. I'm having trouble finding either for a " #49 " . Is there another reel that uses same parts?
Thanks,
Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Cuttyhunker

Here are a couple of reference charts that I use on Penn's that can help you with cross over parts.  I still fish the 49's, I just upgrade my drags tie off the drag release to the cross post with some twine so an inexperienced guest doesn't end up with broken knuckles.  What are you chasing? The 49 is pretty rugged, Penn widened it for the South African market (49A) in the 50's before the 114H existed and it worked for 100 # Yellowfin off the rocks.
Doomed from childhood

PeteRocck

Thank you CuttyHunker
Unfortunately I can't seem to open/download those files on my iPhone🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't have a home P.C. and my work computer has restrictions 
Does anyone know of a site or list that doesn't require downloading
Thanks
Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Cuttyhunker

They're very simple PDF files, I can see both already downloaded multiple times, talk to your IT guy at work, or anyone you know with a desk or laptop machine to pull them in and print out for you.  Both are a total of about a dozen pages combined  In the unlikely event you strike out I could snail them out or convert to jpeg.
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

Couple months back a nice pre war 49 came my way. This one appears to be 1941/42 time frame. I see a lot of early 49's on eBay, but most show fair amounts of use. A few things I look for besides no part #'s and coin edge CB, is how original are all the components. Does the patina match up. Everything on this reel checked out 2 thumbs up. I doubt this 49 ever saw saltwater. Notice the rivets for the counterbalance and the knob are both like new. These rivets are the first areas prone to corrosion. Also the click button, and the gear sleeve collar.  These are a non replaceable parts,  unless the whole sideplate is replaced. Knowing what to look for will keep you from getting stung on a used Penn reel purchase
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Donnyboat

Good Ted, really nice reel, very kind of you to forward your info, keep well, stay safe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.