149, 149L, 149M Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

I have a 49M SuperMariner that I bought new about 35 years ago. I've seen lots of posts about the 49, 49L, but nothing about the 49M. 3.5:1 retrieve (NOT 3.25:1, I checked), two levers, chrome spool. I used to pull wire line with it and haven't done that in years. I cleaned it up and boxed it many years ago, in great condition. Thought I might like to use it again for deep bottom fishing with braid.

I've been reading here that the 49 series had the 4/0 drag system, rather small. I have also read that the 349 series had the 6/0's larger drag system but, I believe, to upgrade my reel I'd have to upgrade to a stainless main gear and sleeve. I'd be upgrading from 3+1 to 5+1?

I see that I can get the 349 metal washers on Ebay, where can  I get the stainless main gear and sleeve? Is that all I'll need besides the 5 drag washers themselves?

So much info here that...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

First off the 49 is more like a 3/0 in the drag system & a 349 is like a 4/0 system. 349 washers will not fit in a 49, they are a larger diameter. A 349 main gear will not work in a 49. Maybe get a 349 & work from there with a 5 stack using 113H CF drag washers.         Rudy

akfish

The 49M is the same as a 49 and 49L except that it was designated "M" to indicate it had a metal spool. Some very early 49s had plastic spools. The 49 hasn't been made for several years, but the last ones that were made had aluminum spools. The drag washers in a 49 are almost as large as the drag washers in a 114H, but there are only 3 not 5 as in a 114H. I still see lots of 49s up here in Juneau. Many have warped spools because the original metal spools did not handle mono line very well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Recoil Rob

OK then, thanks men.

Re: the metal spools warping with mono, will the same happen with braid?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Maxed Out

Can it be true ?? A 149a ??.....

.....it surely ain't a fairy tale !!

....same as a blonde yorkie....ain't no fairy tale neither  :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 31, 2019, 03:33:15 AM

Can it be true ?? A 149a ??.....

.....it surely ain't a fairy tale !!

Come on Ted ... only 1 picture ??
We need more  ??? ???

Regards
AC49

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Now that's one good looking pooch ya got there, Ted!
For some reason, I bet your Yorkies can put reels together too.  ;)
Dom