249, 249DM Narrow spool reel; Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Catching Nemo

Hi guys,

What would you expect a fair price for a used 249 to be?  This is assuming that it shows the typical signs of use (e.g., some corrosion on the stands and posts, dirty side plates with scratches) but otherwise no major damage like cracks in the spool or side plates.

I just realized that I passed up the chance to buy a 249 from a Craigslist guy several months ago (I didn't know at the time that it was a 249), because he was being difficult and wanted $35+ each for the 249 and other lower value reels in his box.  Is a used 249 worth $35+ ?  It felt a bit cheaply made (all plastic).

I can't seem to find them with regularity on eBay or other online sources...

mizmo67

I don't think $35 is a bad price considering I don't see them on eBay much.
It's a really old reel...pre-dates having a drag system, even. Very basic old reel design.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

akfish

The 249 is an old reel and I see very few of them. However, I do not believe it pre-dates a drag system. I think it came put after the 49 which has a drag, of course. I think...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Swami805

I have an old 249 that I didn't pay much for. Not sure how old it is but pretty early. I think penn always offered a drag on some models, not sure when they completely stop making knuckle busters. I looked on the sold eBay listings and saw them from 26-400 bucks depending on the usual stuff   Not much to it, hardly weighs anything
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

How about the story and value on the LL Bean 249, I've seen it Referenced in Mike's green book
Doomed from childhood

nelz

Anybody know the year of this No. 249? There is no stamp on the foot and it has the wooden knob.

Deepennz

Hi Nelz,
The wooden handle and that style left side bush, no numbered foot - I have a late 40's reel with those features. Mine also has a well rounded flange/spool arbour. What is yours like?
These 249's were made as both double, and triple multiplying - easy to work out what model you have by doing 1 turn of the handle and counting how many times the spool revolved - an interesting exercise.

Cheers
Martin

nelz

Thanks Martin. Mine's a 3.25:1 approx.