sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

milne

Time to add to this thread.
picked up this during the week.
Pretty sure I've identified it right,
150 yard Seahawk, waffle clicker,  a fair bit of patina, but it fills a gap in my collection,
excuse photo quality.
I luv these small yard oldies.

Col

Crow

Nice find !  I try to hit lots of yard sales / junk sales when I;m down here on the island....hunting for fishing equipment.....but so far , this winter, it's been a "bust".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

Thanks, I think that's the handle that I had previously associated with only the Bridge City.... so this is new for me.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gman_WC

Very nice find. I love the old seascapes on the side plates.
I'd love to find some of the old original Penn drawings.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Deepennz

Hi there,
Here's an unusual reel I found a while ago - a late 1937 model 42 - yes, they do exist, even if there is no mention in the '37 catalogue.

At first glance it looks like the other '37 seahawks, but wait!!

As can be seen from this photo, the logo reads 'patented'

here is the reel foot - clearly marked '150 yds'

This is the 'money' shot - this engraving is very similar to what is found on all later model 42's, but from a slightly different perspective.
the reel also does not have the outer 'grove' as found on later 42's.

I believe that this is the first time a small conventional reel was produced by Penn with an engraved back plate - the '37 12/0 Senator being the first, but on a larger reel.

Enjoy
Martin

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

milne

Nice find Martin,
                       The big tell tail that it's a 37, is indeed the 3 post configuration, and the introduction of a scalloped handle nut, without fixing screw, which only happened for that year. Up till 37, all Sea Hawks were of a pull out handle nature, so in 37, a new bridge plate was installed. The patented head plate is in my later 4 post Sea Hawk, so that was consistent. It's an interesting Tail plate without that recess, very nice. There was also the fact that the 36 model sea Hawk, never made it to the sales floor in 37, because the new bridge assembly wouldn't fit the smaller side plates, so it was classed as a discontinued model.  Mikes book has a good write up on the 37 Sea Hawk, along with his mention, that it was significant..
nice find...

Col 

broadway

The easy tell tale is the 3 post configuration (as you mentioned) ...with black side plates.  It's the first time the sea hawk was wearing black, and she never wore burgundy again.
Dom

broadway

Anyone have 100 yd Sea Hawk?
I just picked one up, but can't post photos.
Let me know if anyone wants an email of photos to post for me here.
If not, no worries, just never saw one before and wanted to share a tough find with all.
Thanks
Dom

milne

Definitely need some photo's of this puppy Dom    ;D

Col

Crow

Pix from Dom:

Crow

and one more:

broadway

Thanks for posting the photos up for me, Arlyn
Also, thanks to Mike (MHC) for offering as well.
Anybody have one or seen a 100 yd'er? This one purrs like a kitten.
The seller sent me a note that they paid $1 at a yard sale for it. :o
Thanks guys,
Dom