125 Seagate

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

This reel was a gift from Ted. I decided to take it apart and give it a good lube. It was easy to see why the eccentric lever wasn't locking in place...no spring...duh! :P Nice looking parts inside, these oldies have beefier parts. The bridge is steel, first pic shows my magnetic screwdriver sticking to it. All the drag washers looked great, but the under gear spacer was cracked...the second photo shows I replaced it with a period correct part. After lubing it I was impressed how smooth this reel runs. It needs the correct handle, this model used a wooden torpedo knob on the handle. Mike's book says it had a hexagonal shaped clicker button, but this side plate has a standard bell shaped clicker button. As we've all witnessed, there is a lot of crossover in parts usage, so who knows, this might be the original parts.
   But enough of that...:D...the icing on this cake is the stand. That upgrade accessory is a Long Beach 60 clamp stand.  Ted said that stand is hard to find, and he's right, I've not seen any in my travels. The age of the reel and the stand are both 1941, so it could be considered a correct part, but we decided this stand needs to reside on a Long Beach 60. For now...it can support this cool ol' Seagate. 8)

*Much Thanks to Ted...for the knowledge as well as the reel
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Good job Mo.  Keep up the good work of memorializing old Penns.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Cool beans brother...really like the tail plate....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Mo, do you have any before pics ?? That Seagate was one notch short of a boat anchor when I sent it to you. You really did bring it back from the brink. Fantastic job, it looks like a completely different reel than what I sent you !!  I have correct handle I'll send along.

The steel bridge is also a bonus, and I agree about sturdiness of pre war internals. All steel gears and tough as nails.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 14, 2016, 04:00:02 AM
Mo, do you have any before pics ?? That Seagate was one notch short of a boat anchor when I sent it to you.

No sir, I had the parts all laid out to clean when I realized I forgot a "before" pic. I did borrow another tail plate for these pics. The actual tail plate on this reel is cracked. I epoxied it...but I'd rather have a one piece plate. 8)
  Hey wait, I do have "before & after" pics of that LB60 clamp stand. I'd say it's a good representation of the overall condition. Also here's a better pic showing the stand from the front. It's like Grandma's Chevy Caprice with a 396 in it...Ha! :D

Penn Chronology

The Sea Gate is a very interesting reel. It is a Long Beach. What Penn did when it introduced the Sea Gate was offer a lower priced Long Beach. The first Sea Gate (1939 Models) were simply a Long Beach with old style pear shaped handle knobs. The 1939 model was offered in two sizes, a Model 125--250 yard reel and a Model 126--300 yard reel and most of them had waffle style round clicker buttons.

In 1940 the Sea Gate was not in the catalog. It disappeared for a single model year and reappeared in the 1941 Catalog.

In 1941 the Sea Gate really became its own model, more separated from the Long Beach; but, It was still a Long Beach. The 1941 Sea Gate now had a torpedo handle but the spool changed to a plastic spool, while the Long Beach model stayed with the brass spool; but, moved to a rod clamp stand. For historical correctness, your Sea Gate should not have a rod clamp type stand, no rod clamp stand was ever offered on the Sea Gate model. The hexagon clicker button is usually found on the 1941 Sea Gate.

The 1942 Sea Gate used the Hershey Kiss style clicker button. The 1942 Sea Gate was only offered in the Model 125--250 yard size as was the 1941 model.

Sea Gate Model 125's were sold in big numbers. Sea Gate model 126's are much harder to find.

I feel the Sea Gate was a model initially developed for the commercial market. Reel rental was part of what the Sea Gate models were used for. Party Boats also used them for their customers, especially the Model 126's from 1939, those are the ones you can find in odd colors to assist in end of day collections.

Sea Gate's are fun models to collect. Everything from a Long Beach will interchange with a Sea Gate.

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 23, 2016, 10:12:17 PM
The 1942 Sea Gate used the Hershey Kiss style clicker button.

Ahh...bet mine is a '42 then. That LB stand is just hanging around 'til I get a correct handle...I believe it needs a wooden torpedo knob. Thanks for the info Mike. 8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteI believe it needs a wooden torpedo knob

Not necessarily. A handle with a old style pointy knob and a one piece counter weight with no hash marks or lamination marks would be correct. The knob can be Catalan, it does not have to be wood. Both could be correct.

mo65

Here's the final incarnation of my 125 Seagate...now sporting correct handle and stand. 8)

broadway

Beautiful job, Mo! You made her beautiful again...and all original, too. Well done Sir!
Dom

Maxed Out

Mo, great job keeping it with era correct parts. That see thru knob looks like it came from Jurassic park and is holding long lost DNA of Otto Henze ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 12, 2016, 06:37:06 PM
Mo, great job keeping it with era correct parts. That see thru knob looks like it came from Jurassic park and is holding long lost DNA of Otto Henze ;D
You think we can clone him.....I really hope so..... ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Quote from: TARFU on December 12, 2016, 07:40:57 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on December 12, 2016, 06:37:06 PM
You think we can clone him.....I really hope so..... ;D   Bill

Methinks Otto's DNA is already in a lot of our members -- we are fortunate to have the amount of engineering and innovative talent that is so evident.

We may sometimes take this for granted -- but if you were a new person looking at our site for the first time -- it would literally blow you away.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

That Mo is from a different Mold.
The guy has the gift. ;).
He makes some awesome builds, time and time again.
Life is Good!