Started by Bub B., February 22, 2011, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub B.

Need a little help here.  Took a Bait runner 6500 apart a cleaned it up.  After putting it back together the bait runner will engage and disengage for a few cranks.  I have taken it back apart to see what is going on and when I have the side plate off it engages and disengages but as soon as I put the side plate back on it will not, I guess disengage?  I have tried to attach a picture form Big T's rebuild showing the parts I am talking about.  When the side plate is off the mechanism will hit the nubs and release but when I put the plate on it just skips over the nubs.  Any help would be appreciated?

alantani

anybody?  i am totally clueless when it comes to baitrunners.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Alan, Bud: I am not quite sure what is happening.  I did one of these for my fishing buddy but it's the last one.  If he was not the best fishing buddy I would not have done one.  Here is the way the bait runner is supposed to work.  When you are live lining, you engage the bait runner.  That allows the bait to take line ("run" hence baitrunner).  When a fish hits, a crank of the handle disengages the bait runner and you have the ability to crank the fish in.  If the baitrunner works like that with the cover off, there is no reason why it should not work with the cover on as the cover does not interfere with the baitrunner mechanism.  Bud, are you using the handle to test crank?  Are you sure you are turning the handle in the right direction?  I have been mixed up unless I grip the reel like it was on a rod.  I am just throwing out some theories.  Anyone else have some ideas?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bub B.

I tried to post a video clip on here but was unsuccessful.  If you google baitrunner fix it might show up from my youtube account.  There is a part 1 and 2.

Dominick

Bub: I looked at the video.  I would feel better if you would crank the handle to see if you get the same result, because I do not see why that is happening.  What I found strange is that one of the nubs came around the first time and did not trigger the baitrunner, since they look like they are on the same plane.  Dom
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bub B.

I made another video and will post it tonite.  Put the reel back together and no luck.  On the video it shows me cranking the handle and it works like 3-4 times and then it stops.  I think it has something to do with the part that engages the bait runner.  I feel a slight roughness when I push it in.  Kind of like it is rubbing.

Bryan Young

Hey Bub,

I'm only hypothisizing so bear with me, and I'm thinking and typing as I am thinking...so my though process will be documented so that I know where I came from and where I am going.  Also not that I have not opened one up yet, and base on my experiences with spinners, will probably will not ever.  Great engineering design, but a pain to rebuild.

Here's a schematics that I found:
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/92BTR6500A_v1_m56577569830641896.pdf

I'm not sure if the nubs are going under the clutch lever or just sliding by.  If it's going under, then is it possible that right side bearing (1102) might have been mixed up with the main gear bearing (3032)  This would possibly push the main gear further right just enough where the nubs slide under the clutch lever.

Clutch springs and clutch pawl springs in place?

Were there any thrust washers between the main gear and the right side bearing?  Maybe it needs a little shim to shift the main gear slightly to the left.

How about the washer between the main gear bearing and the left plate bearing.  Is it there?

Is it possible to slightly shift the clutch plate assembly towards the rotor?

Have you tried closing the cover and installing the crank arm and end-cap?  Maybe it needs the crank arm assembly for alignment.

Without actually having my hands on it, I am stumped.

Hope any of this helps or at lease eliminates what you have tried.

By the way, did you see this?  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=995.0.  It may help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bub B.

Bryan I think you are on the right track.  I might have mixed the bearings up.  I will let you guys know what I find.  Thanks for the help.

Bub B.

I finally got the reel back together.  I measured the side plate  bearings and they are the same size.  The problem was twofold,  one of the bearings are about to go and the 2963 baitrunner click spring had a slight bow in it.  Cleaned the bearings 3 times and they spin well but one of them has a rough spot.  Took the bow out of the spring and now it works like a charm. Thanks for all of your help. 

Bryan Young

I'm glad it works again.  Thanks for sharing what other items we should be aware of with these types of reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D