Senator 118 (16/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

I recently acquired a couple Penn 16/0 from the early days and since very little seems to be out there about these reels, I'd like to share my observations to help fill in a few gaps.

The reel on the left is 100% non numbered. It has the earliest design of the 3 piece spool.

The reel on the right is mostly non numbered, with only 4 numbered parts... Seat, spool, eccentric nut, and handle nut.

The reel on the right was obviously assembled during transition to Penn's new part numbering system. It also has a much larger arbor, and different transition from arbor to side flanges. The clamp is also almost an inch wider, and the harness straps are also larger. These both have  non numbered clamps and straps, which tells me the transition to larger clamp and harness took place prior to stamping part numbers.

The large arbor spool also has short squatty line tie post, while the older style spool has a tall beefy post. This particular spool on the left has a post on both sides, which seems unusual, but I'm no expert on early 16/0, just making observations.

The larger arbor spool design change seems to have happened around 1949/50. The #16 catalog boasts about the senators "latest design heavy duty nickel silver spools which are stronger and better than ever before"....the #17 catalog says same thing except no mention of nickel silver....catalog #18 is introductory year for the "one piece cast spool" on the 16/0 and 14/0

here are a couple pics to show these design changes
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Those are crappy three piece spools and your salmon will burst them. Best send them on to me for door stops, and I will send you back a pair of Jiggy's with one piece spools. You have my address, since you sent me most of the jiggy parts :)

What an excellent pair, and excellent write up....I have run into the clamp difference trying to order a clamp for my 16/0, the earlier looks to be the same as 14/0 clamp and that's what I ended up with in an aftermarket clamp as the current Penn cross-reference confused me.

54bullseye

Nice pair of reels Ted !!!   John Taylor

1badf350

Beautiful reels Ted and I agree with John its an excellent write up!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Thanks Ted,
                 Great information and two nice reels to boot.

Col

Darin Crofton

Great score, Ted, congrats brother!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

Holy Cow!
I need some door stops too. ;)
Life is Good!

1badf350

I came to ask a question Ted has answered. My buddy picked up this 16/0 with three piece spool. It has smaller "shoulders" and part number on the arbor. Does this definitively place it in the 1950-53 time period?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Quote from: thorhammer on January 17, 2019, 09:36:54 PM
Those are crappy three piece spools and your salmon will burst them. Best send them on to me for door stops, and I will send you back a pair of Jiggy's with one piece spools. You have my address, since you sent me most of the jiggy parts :)

What an excellent pair, and excellent write up....I have run into the clamp difference trying to order a clamp for my 16/0, the earlier looks to be the same as 14/0 clamp and that's what I ended up with in an aftermarket clamp as the current Penn cross-reference confused me.

Still having these jiggys here waiting on you Ted :)

williewiskers

I posted this in the other thread about rebuilding the 118 and havent gotten a response, seeing if anyone on this thread is avtive...

"What size HT-100 is used under the new stainless main gear? Is it the 6-116? I assume since the 118 and 116L share the same stock under gear fiber washer?

Ty"

The Wiskers

thorhammer

yes, but you might be better off with Delrin (answering for Sal on that one :)

I haven't checked, because I used Delrin from Sal, but the HT100 may thicker than the stock hard washer on that reel and throw your clearance off a mite.

John

williewiskers

Just going by the tutorial in the other post, he says and shows using an ht-100 under the main gear. What's the deal with delran, I don't know anything about that. What's the advantage?

Ty

Donnyboat

Hi Willie, the delrin material is quite smooth, and handles a lot of heat, it works good under the mail gear, also if your place a delrin washer under the star, it makes it easier to turn the star when required, I think Sal made you a very good offer, of sending you a couple, I would take him up on that, Sal is not only a good man, but if he does something, you can bet it is done properly, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

williewiskers

Well i dont think I can disregard a shining endorsement like that!

Ill message Mr. Sal