100, 100M Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkB and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fishmeluck

It took me a while to get around to it, a few days off work on antibiotics for suspected pneumonia, but finally rebuilt this guy. It came from Ebay with a small counter-balanced handle w/ white grip, and those ugly brown Newell graphite bearings. But, I liked the aluminum reel seat&clamp, Newell bars and spool, that it came with an extra Newell spool, and the side plates were black to match the Newell parts. Cost was $77 shipped.

When I opened it, a welcome surprise was that it already had a steel gear. I wonder what year it might have been made, given the steel gear and black side plates.

During the rebuild, I also found what appeared to be a chrome plated steel bridge assembly. The gear sleeve was a brass 98-60 coarse thread. The drag washers were shot. Out went the old gear sleeve and Newell bushings and in went new Penn bushings, a Cortez 98-155 fine thread s.s. gear sleeve, HT-100 drag washers, and a Delrin washer under the gear. I scavenged a fine thread drag star and a handle w/ black grip from an old Penn 500. Both are larger than the stock drag star and grip. And, that was it. At first, I thought I might put a power handle on the reel but after looking at it, realized it looked too big, and the Penn 500 handle was significantly larger and longer than the original handle anyway. It just looked and felt right.

I haven't tested the drag yet, but I think it should be able to produce 8 lb of smooth drag. I don't have a Brian's Drag Kit for it at this time, but I think I could fish anything from 15 lb to 30 lb the way it is. It's on a 12-25 lb rod at the moment, and I'm wavering between trying it out with 15 lb mono on the first spool for bass fishing and 20 lb mono on the second spool, versus filling the second spool with 50 lb braid, allowing more leader options.

Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Penn Chronology

Great job on the Surfmaster 100. All Surfmasters are black.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 21, 2016, 05:40:51 AM
Great job on the Surfmaster 100. All Surfmasters are black.
not necessarily  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAll Surfmasters are black.

not necessarily  Grin.

Excuse me, all Surfmasters are black, except one.........................<:O)

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 21, 2016, 03:39:03 PM
QuoteAll Surfmasters are black.

not necessarily  Grin.

Excuse me, all Surfmasters are black, except one.........................<:O)

That's more like it!  ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thrasher

Hello fine people of alantani.com, I have learned so much from this website that I first must thank you!

Sifting through the many pages I noticed for the first time the Surfmaster 100. I have always had a love for the narrow reels and have owned a few jigmaster jr and the squidder jr throughout the years. So I had to have a surfmaster jr and I hit ebay and found one recently, perhaps the seller is from here.

Anyhow the reel is in great shape and doesn't seem to be fished all that much.  The only thing I want to replace are the drag washers and the plastic spool. The washers are no big deal as you all know but the spool is trickier than expected. I am in no big hurry so I will probably just wait until one pops on ebay but I do have a couple questions.

I have seen all the great tiburon frames you all have been using but I don't really want to go that route and was wondering if the tiburon spool would work with the stock penn frame?  My gut says yes but it has been known to be wrong in the past.

Now for the real question which led me here. The plastic spool that came with the surfmaster 100 is marked 29-155 but that doesn't seem right to me. I know parts are interchangeable and all but the pics of the 155 spools I have seen online look a lot bigger.

Thank you in advance!

George4741

Quote from: thrasher on September 04, 2016, 01:56:13 PM
  I have always had a love for the narrow reels.

I have seen all the great tiburon frames you all have been using but I don't really want to go that route and was wondering if the tiburon spool would work with the stock penn frame?  My gut says yes but it has been known to be wrong in the past.

Now for the real question which led me here. The plastic spool that came with the surfmaster 100 is marked 29-155 but that doesn't seem right to me. I know parts are interchangeable and all but the pics of the 155 spools I have seen online look a lot bigger.

Welcome to the group!  I edited your post in my reply so it's easier to answer some of your questions.

1.  I also like narrow reels and call myself narrow minded. ::)

2.  Tiburon spools work just fine with the stock Penn frame.

3.  I also have a -100 width plastic spool marked 29-155.  I don't know why these spools came out of the factory marked that way, but now I know there are at least two of them. ???  The last version of the Beachmaster 155 uses the much wider 30-200 stand and 29-200 aluminum spool.  I don't recall the part numbers for the wide plastic and chrome spools.  I'll have to disassemble some reels to find that answer.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

No need to disassemble your reels George, got you covered ;D
Trasher, the 29-155 is the correct spool for your reel.
Here is a pic of the 3 different sizes for the plastic spools, all marked 29-155:

The metal spools of the same size are marked as follows:  29-100, 29-150 & 29-200

These spools will work on all reels with the same size plates, as Beachmasters-Surfmasters- Monofil and few others.

Sal

George4741

Thank you, Sal.  I found a wide plastic spool marked 29-155 in my parts box.  I remember pulling it off of my Beachmaster 155 when I narrowed it.  I also have a narrow plastic spool marked 29-100.  
viurem lliures o morirem

thrasher

Man this site is great! Thank you George and Sal, that spool had me scratching my head for a couple days. I see my problem is that I just don't have enough reels in my collecting to use as a reference. If I can't find a penn spool or if I just get tired of waiting I'll grab one from tiburon.

Thanks again!!

George4741

Thrasher, all of these narrow spools will fit your 100.  They also fit the 180, 185, 190 and maybe some other reels.  As you probably know, If you are going to fish with it you're better off with a Tiburon or Penn metal spool.

Regards, George
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

Quote from: thrasher on September 04, 2016, 04:51:05 PM
 Man this site is great! Thank you George and Sal, that spool had me scratching my head for a couple days.

Tell me about it...Ha!...I scratched a bald spot on my head while looking at those #@$& numbers. Nearly drove me nuts while surfing fleabay for a plastic spool to fit my 180...kept seeing those numbers that should match a wide spool...but in the pics the spool sure looked like a narrow...arrrgh! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: thrasher on September 04, 2016, 01:56:13 PM

Anyhow the reel is in great shape and doesn't seem to be fished all that much.  The only thing I want to replace are the drag washers and the plastic spool. The washers are no big deal as you all know but the spool is trickier than expected. I am in no big hurry so I will probably just wait until one pops on ebay but I do have a couple questions.

Thank you in advance!

Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Reel-Part-Spool-29M-100-Metal-NOS-100-Surfmaster-Reel-New-No-Outer-Box-/371549595698?hash=item568214e832

Might need a little cleaning, maybe Jay will knock a few bucks off.