100, 100M Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

I currently have two set up with Newell base, bars, and spools for kayak fishing, and a third I had parts powder coated by a forum member here to GF's favorite color a few years back for X-mas. I like the simplicity of the reel, easy to clean and do a few. When I first set them up the only set of stainless gear sleeve was in course thread. Recently I picked up some of the newer ones in fine thread. I have this reel to be good to go on the yak for rockfish, ling, and salmon up to 15 pounds with an issue. One is loaded with 20 lb mono with a braid top shot, likewise the other is loaded with 30 Mono with a 30 Lb braid top shot. As I don't cast these, I have never had an issue where the braid would get caught in the side plates. (Image of reel with Red Line is an older pic, line has since been switched out.  Sorry folks the red side plated reel I missed, that is the Bakelite Blaster Jigmaster, I am guessing she wanted some screen time.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Alto Mare

Nice reels Kmstorms64! what's the story with the covers on the knobs?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Kalbi

Maybe a silly question, but what's the difference between surfmaster 100 and 100m?

sdlehr

Quote from: Kalbi on December 01, 2018, 07:10:51 PM
Maybe a silly question, but what's the difference between surfmaster 100 and 100m?
The M is a metal spool, as opposed to plastic. That's a standard Penn designation, as is "L" for a lightweight aluminum spool.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

kmstorm64

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 12, 2018, 12:03:37 AM
Nice reels Kmstorms64! what's the story with the covers on the knobs?

I found those in Bass Pro Shops , and decided to try them out.  I find when I am kayaking, my hands get wet, hell I get wet, and this gives me a little better grip when I am out there paddling, for small $$$. Nothing special about them, I think they are intended for smaller bait casting freshwater reels, but I like them, and I can tell my reel on a charter boat reel fast.

Alto Mare

decorative and functional, can't beat that.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kmstorm64

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2019, 10:35:33 PM
decorative and functional, can't beat that.

Sal

They work, and there isn't a charter boat Captain who doesn't do a double take when they see them.  You would think I had some ultra rare reel when they see it.