61-62-63 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Finished cleaning my LB 62. It had a very quick soak, then a gentle tooth brushing. There was some green gunge imbedded
in the spool and rings, which I new had to be removed.
I've come to the conclusion seeing some of the restore threads on here, that I only clean my reels !!! hats off to some of the
beautiful restore jobs I've seen here......
Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteI love those smaller plate LBs...and that red pear shaped handle is not an every day item...bravo! Cool

There is another level of rarity concerning your reel. Having the small side plate Long Beach is very special ; but, the red handle adds another dimension. Red Handle Penn reels from the 1930's and 40's pre-war were special order models sold exclusively by Duvall's Tackle in California.

The Duvall's Shop even had specially stamped Penn catalogs....

This info is not in my book. It was discovered after the release of the book.

Sorry for the low res pics. That's all I have.

You Model 62 Duvall / Long Beach is a very rare reel.

milne

Hi Michael,
   WOW, thank you for that information, obviously I would never have known this.
  I'm still searching for your book, as mentioned, missed out on one on Ebay the other day, So I am noting everything down and scouring this forum
most days to the wee hours.
I am completely blown away by the history of Penn reels, and the more you research and learn, the more intriguing collecting them becomes.
The above reel, has quite a bit of Patina and on the tail plate, the tensioner housing has a piece ot of it if you look closely, but in all honesty, it doesn't worry me one bit, after all, after 80 years of history, I suppose some of these pre war reels will have damage and wear.
Michael, thank you for the info on the reel, duly noted down now for reference.

regards
Colin

1badf350

I was hoping yours had the Duvall's sticker like my live bait caster and 12/0.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Hi Chris, No, mine didn't have the sticker like yours.
        That's a nice reel, Gee, if it's just a sticker, it's amazing after all these years it survived, with the treatment a lot of
these reels got.
It sure does open up a whole new avenue of collecting now, as if there wasn't enough variables, now, Duvall options added !
It's the hobbie that just keeps giving.
I was reading old threads the other night from around 2005, it was an interesting read. I think Michael was asking the question about 3 post
Sea Fords, whether they existed and could be classified as first generation, of which it was doubted. So alot has come to light in the last 13 odd years,
I wonder what other surprises Penn reels brings in another.........

So, being these reels were produced for Duvall, does this classify them as trade reels ???
Even though they have the Penn plug ?

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo, being these reels were produced for Duvall, does this classify them as trade reels Huh?
Even though they have the Penn plug ?

Not in my opinion. A pure trade reel has no Penn markings. These Duvall reels are simply using a distinct color handle. Sort of like ordering a Penn 85 with different color plates. Changing a color does not remove the Penn identity.

But, in terms of the reel I am using for a Duvall example, it is a Trade reel because it has the red knob, A Duvall sticker and a Kingfisher logo. I really wish I owned this reel; but, I do not. I feel lucky to have documentation of it.

milne

OK, understood Michael.
That handle on your photo is of a different design or shape as well, compared to my one.
So, this all just equates to more catagories Michael, but I suppose, with the one you showed, it contains three variables,
The Duvall sticker, the kingfisher label and the red handle,  very interesting.

And Chris, Can you show a Photo of the handles on your two Duvall sticker reels ?.

Thank's Michael, I know what to look out for now.............

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank's Michael, I know what to look out for now.............

What I look out for is things that fit, but, do not add up to a normal reel. Whether it be a Duvall or Schultz or whatever. when is professionally built but does not fit the norm, that opens up a possibility of a new direction.

This is what makes collecting fun.

1badf350

I have a handle i got in a box of parts that I always wondered where it came from until I discovered the Duvalls reels. Too bad its not very clean.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Col my reels have the Duvalls sticker but they dont have red handles. Here is a handle side pic of both.

-Chris

Deepennz

Hi,
If these red handled, Duvall reels are not strictly trade reels, then does that disqualify the NYHTC line of reels - reels made for one retailer, still with a Penn logo, and yet with an obvious point of difference?
What is the definition of a "Trade reel"?
I have a  1938 LB 66 with a red handle as shown and when I read about the 'Duvalls" I moved it to my 'Trade reel' section. Should I put it back?
It looked good in the 'tradie' section!!

Cheers
Martin

Swami805

Maybe like a hybred semi trade reel. The handle seems more like a factory upgrade than a true trade reel, splitting hairs a little. Whatever it is it certianly adds interest to an already nice collectible reel, check a box in the win coloum any way you slice it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Chris, that's a different twist then,  Do you think someone swapped the handles out from what Duvall got ( red handles )
Or it's just another variable ?  they maybe sold other options ?
Either way, nice reels and a plus for the Duvall sticker any how.

Col

Dominick

Quote from: milne on December 06, 2018, 10:18:17 AM
Hi Michael,
   WOW, thank you for that information, obviously I would never have known this.
  I'm still searching for your book, as mentioned, missed out on one on Ebay the other day, So I am noting everything down and scouring this forum most days to the wee hours.
regards
Colin

Colin, after I read this post I went to Amazon.com to see if one was available.  There were 2 available for $250.00 a piece.  I don't know if that will make Mike happy or not.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

It's a very valuable resource, but you could get mine for much less.  No offense Mike.  You're just too good at it.
-steve