32 Newport

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronology of this reel in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

The 32 is the 150 yard reel I think? Does anyone know the year did they come with the molded in bearing similar to the model 15?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Oceanreels

According to the catalogs the Newport reel never had a blind bearing, but they do turn up every now and then. I have a 150 yard one from 1936 and a boxed 250 yard one from 1938.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

1badf350

Thanks Brian, I actually had you in mind when I asked this question. I was talking to Broadway Dom yesterday about a 150 yard reel I just got. He actually pointed it out to me.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Pictures for thread reference
-Chris

Swami805

That's a clean reel for it's age. Nice find
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

So I was flipping thru all the catalogs in Mikes yellow book. Like Brian said I dont see that reel pictured with that type bearing. It was only pictured with a scalloped handle nut and no set screw in 1938. Before and after 1938 it was pictured with a hex handle nut.
-Chris