47 Anglesea

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I saw a box for one on the big auction site the other day. I put an early bid on it but it went for $392, a tough box to find.
That's a nice one Col,  You're on a roll!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuoteI saw a box for one on the big auction site the other day. I put an early bid on it but it went for $392, a tough box to find.
That's a nice one Col,  You're on a roll!

I saw that too and also placed a bid. The funny thing about that auction was the reel in the box was a Model 97 Silver Beach. I had one of those and sold it for about $50.00. I guess I should have kept it. The white box is very hard to find, but, that auction set a record high for that model. I know the buyer, he is a very serious collector.

The Anglesea model was only made for three years and each year was slightly different from the other. finding the 300 yard version is really tough, it was only made for the 1938 model year.

Here is a 1938 model on the left and a 1940 model on the right.

milne

Nice reels.
My Anglesea has no yardage stamp like the one you put up earlier in the thread.
As mentioned it has a blank side plate.
Were the 48's stamped with yardage and is the blank plate another way of identifying between that and a 47 ?

Col

milne

I stand corrected, mine does have 250yards stamped on it,  very faintly.

Col

Penn Chronology

My opinion about how to identify the year an Anglesea model was made is basically a process of deduction. The two reels in my photo are a 1938 and a 1940. You can see that the logos are different. The 1938 has the older style double bar logo and a scalloped handle screw without the locking set screw. I have a Anglesea that I believe is a 1939 model. It has a handle with the locking screw in use but has the old double bar logo. As far as the tail plates, I assumed that all had the picture plate. Hard to say that 100% because a tail plate can easily be changed; but, all Anglesea models I have seen are the tall ship picture plate. Here is my 1939 Anglesea, I do not have a box for it. $400 was just too much for a box.......<:O(

sdlehr

Mike,
Considering the price of a plug mold, and Otto's frugality, why do you think they changed the logo from year to year - it's such a minor change and has no effect on fuctionality.... seems like throwing money away, something I wouldn't have thought Otto capable of.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteConsidering the price of a plug mold, and Otto's frugality, why do you think they changed the logo from year to year - it's such a minor change and has no effect on fuctionality.... seems like throwing money away, something I wouldn't have thought Otto capable of.

I just so happened with this model. The style of the logos changed from the early double bar to the style of the final Anglesea logo for many of the Penn reels. There was probably an across the board decision to change the logo of all the reels. I assume the discontinuations of so many of these models because of the interruption of WW II was not considered at the time of the logo change. I suspect the war caused many of the models to disappear prematurely. Or then again, I could be completely off base, one never knows when he offers his opinions....

oc1

Molds wear out with use.  They probably used the opportunity to make a new design every time a mold was made.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteMolds wear out with use.  They probably used the opportunity to make a new design every time a mold was made.
-steve

Sure, that could be a reason also.