Penn 6/0 114H Re-Assembly Issues (free spool)

Started by wsenti, April 08, 2016, 10:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsenti

I recently serviced the reel and have put it back together a few times.

I seem to have an issue when I click it into free spool nothing is smooth, it almost seems like the smaller gear isn't fully de-engaged and when I turn the handle it's rough and not really "free" from resistance or friction, definitely not right.

When I click in everything is fine, smooth turn, adjustable drag, and perfect dog function (nothing loose / no back spin).

The only thing I can think of is something with my lever clicking in and out of free spool,  and it pulling too far back or not enough.

Any ideas or suggestions? I can post pics if you want to have a look.

Thanks.

Maxed Out

Sounds like the pinion is jamming on the spool shaft. Take the pinion out and try sliding it all the way on the spool shaft. If it's snug fit, then a little emery cloth on the shaft will fix it up, or a touch up on the pinion edges may help also.

If it is the top of the pinion catching, then just file a little bit off

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

DaBigOno

i would also take a q-tip to clean out the pinion gear hole that the spool shaft goes throughgh
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

wsenti

Why do you think or what do you think would have caused this?

Basically the gear pinion is repositioned based upon clicking in and out so that it grabs the spool.

It should be pretty smooth in free spool.

Another note the actual spool seems to turn free and smooth, it's just I noticed when I turn the handle in free spool, seems like something is off.

Thanks,
Wade

Alto Mare

What you're feeling with the gears while in freespool is normal for these reels, some do it more that others.

Sal

The reel would do fine as you have it, but if you want to take it one step further, this is how I do it.
It is messy, but gets the job done.
Your reel will feel much smoother and quieter.

Prior to buffing all clutch parts I put some grinding compound on the pinion and main gear, I'll assemble the reel, add some drag to the point that I'm still able to hold the spool and turn the handle for about 50 times. the inner side of the pinion gets cleaned with a 1/8th bit wrapped with some extra fine steel wool and a drop or two of reel-X.

I would then break it down and clean all parts and put everything back, along with the buffed parts.

The bearings/ bushings and spool shaft also get a treatment.
This is going a little overboard servicing a reel, it will usually take you 1 hour to do a good job vs 10 minutes for a basic service job.

Again, there might not be a need to go all out, if the feel of your reel bothers you...go for it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

I thought Bryan had responded to this post, but I guess it was another. His suggestion may apply here; the tabs on the eccentric jack may need to be popped out a little. If these get flattened or worn the pinion will not completely disengage from the spool smoothly and it could feel a little clunky.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

From Wsenti explanation, it sounds to me that the pinion is going in and out of gear with no issues.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 09, 2016, 02:23:15 PM
What you're feeling with the gears while in freespool is normal for these reels, some do it more that others.

Sal

The reel would do fine as you have it, but if you want to take it one step further, this is how I do it.
It is messy, but gets the job done.
Your reel will feel much smoother and quieter.

Prior to buffing all clutch parts I put some grinding compound on the pinion and main gear, I'll assemble the reel, add some drag to the point that I'm still able to hold the spool and turn the handle for about 50 times. the inner side of the pinion gets cleaned with a 1/8th bit wrapped with some extra fine steel wool and a drop or two of reel-X.

I would then break it down and clean all parts and put everything back, along with the buffed parts.

The bearings/ bushings and spool shaft also get a treatment.
This is going a little overboard servicing a reel, it will usually take you 1 hour to do a good job vs 10 minutes for a basic service job.

Again, there might not be a need to go all out, if the feel of your reel bothers you...go for it.

Sal

Great post Sal...

Improving the machining makes all the sense in the world.

Thanks!

Steve

Alto Mare

Thanks Steve!
It works and it works very well. It is a lot of work though, but me personally don't mind doing it.

sdlehr

Quote from: wsenti on April 08, 2016, 10:52:24 PM
it almost seems like the smaller gear isn't fully de-engaged and when I turn the handle i
Sal, you may indeed be correct. I was going by this and I think I misread it.

It's normal for the spool to spin a little when you crank it while in free spool. If there were absolutely no contact between the pinion and spindle this would not happen. In most of my reels there is a little bit of spool movement while I crank in free spool; and it could just be the contact between the pinion/oil/spindle that transfers that little bit of spin to the spool when you crank. That's the normal part Sal was talking about before I misread. Sorry. I'll shut my mouth now.   :-[
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

cbar45

Sal--in the process you described--are you referring to cranking the reel in gear under light drag, or holding the spool stationary while you crank the handle?

Trying to understand exactly what is happening; It seems that the gear sleeve and keyed drag washers would be the only parts turning, if the reel is cranked with the spool held in place?

Alto Mare

Quote from: cbar45 on April 10, 2016, 05:25:49 AM
Sal--in the process you described--are you referring to cranking the reel in gear under light drag, or holding the spool stationary while you crank the handle?

Trying to understand exactly what is happening; It seems that the gear sleeve and keyed drag washers would be the only parts turning, if the reel is cranked with the spool held in place?

Hey Chad, thanks for catching than, I just re-read what I wrote
No, the spool has to rotate with the handle, or the process would be worthless.
It is good to set the drags and turn the handle while applying pressure on the spool with your other hand, but the spool needs to rotate.
You could also do it by just turning the handle while in gear, but I believe it's more effective if the spool rotates under stress.

Sal

cbar45

Hi Sal, I understand perfectly now.

Used to do something similar with Newell's 4:1 Senator gears and automotive rubbing compound.

Never tried the one made for valve grinding, thanks for the tip!

Chad