151 Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 08:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

milne

Hope it's OK to put my pic up of my 151 surfmaster here.
It's one of the ones I have just received along with the 170 and a few others.
Again, haven't been able to get too much info on this reel ?.

Swami805

Well one clue is this is the only post on this thread, that's some collection you've found!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Good find....now that we have you on the Darkside, i recommend you pick up Mike C.'s books on Penn, start with the Penn Chronology.  Mike has forgotten more history about Penn than any of us could learn. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 09, 2018, 07:33:07 PM
Good find....now that we have you on the Darkside, i recommend you pick up Mike C.'s books on Penn, start with the Penn Chronology.  Mike has forgotten more history about Penn than any of us could learn. 
Where do I buy this book you speak of? Thanks! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gfish

Cool! Another one that's direct drive( no drag star)?
Interested, I checked, no mention of a Surfmaster 151 on the Penn-Mystic Parts web site?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

milne

Yes Bill, I am now well and truly on the dark side !
    And yes, I was only just searching to see where I can buy this book.
I actually sent an Email to a printing company that I believe sells them, but I have had no reply.
Is there a direct out let that i can go to ?  I am in Oz.

Col

Maxed Out

Try sending a pm to Mike C... forum user name "Penn Chronology". He retails his books and pretty sure he can ship worldwide

You can email Mike too

mcass1@optonline.net

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

Production began in 40, and  last year was 46, with the war hiatus, not so many out there I'd guess.  Good find!
Doomed from childhood

Penn Chronology

Seems there is a situation with the Whitefish Press and production. Books may be going on Back Order. I hate that; but, have no control.

IN terms of the Early Surfmasters, here they are in their first appearance in the 1940 catalog.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 10, 2018, 06:40:49 AM
Seems there is a situation with the Whitefish Press and production. Books may be going on Back Order. I hate that; but, have no control.

Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but that would appear to be good news - the books must be selling well.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, correct me if I'm wrong, but that would appear to be good news - the books must be selling well.

I have sold out all my copies. So I cannot satisfy anyone who wants a softcover. I don't know about the quantities of the publisher because of Trouble in Paradise at the Whitefish Press. oping to have a meeting with the publisher next week. Then again, who knows.

Penn Chronology

QuoteProduction began in 40, and  last year was 46, with the war hiatus, not so many out there I'd guess.  Good find!

Last year of production for the Model 151 was 1942. The model did not return after the war. The non-star models were on made for three years, 1940, 41 & 42. They are very limited and hard to find.

Cuttyhunker

ARCHIVE of PENN Reel PRODUCTION YEARS, Starting In 1933 . . .
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
Here Is An ARCHIVE of PENN Reel PRODUCTION YEARS, Starting In 1933 . . . ( ATTACHED as PDF )

Guys,

Tony Dubeck, of Penn Reels, just sent me this GREAT Archive of PENN REELS, listed by production year !

ENJOY & Tight Lines !
 PENN REEL PRODUCTION YEARS ARCHIVE.pdf (392.27 KB - downloaded 224 times.)

I got  1946 from the above pdf file, and from what I've learned about Otto as a businessman is that nothing in his shop went to waste, so maybe the 1946 in the pdf came from his liquidating the old parts that were shelved when the war stopped production.  Not in the 46 catalog but maybe in the accounting books as the first Penn NOS sale.  The guy knew how to monetize his stock.
Doomed from childhood

mizmo67

Quote from: Gfish on November 09, 2018, 09:18:14 PM
Cool! Another one that's direct drive( no drag star)?
Interested, I checked, no mention of a Surfmaster 151 on the Penn-Mystic Parts web site?

Never even knew it existed. I'm assuming it's the LH version of the 150?
For the 150, we had to build the schematic...we didn't even have that, just the list of parts in one of the old tables to go by.
http://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/150.pdf
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com