285 Delmar

Started by sdlehr, April 10, 2016, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 26, 2016, 04:48:15 AM
Making it wider is no problem, you could always bring it back. I would save the old parts and play with the plates.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking, the modifications I'm considering can be reversed with a simple screwdriver! :D I held a stainless Longbeach 65 spool beside this reel and little wheels in my dome started turning. :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteI held a stainless Longbeach 65 spool beside this reel and little wheels in my dome started turning. Cheesy

That is when you have to be really careful. When those wheels start turning! ;D

Bill B

Just an odd observation, I've been looking for a tail plate to replace a broken one, and all I can find on the auction site is head plates and complete reels and other reels with broken tail plates. I can buy a complete reel and use it for parts, but that still leaves me with a broken tail plate.  Are the tail plates fragile on the 285, or are they just getting hard to find?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Quote from: TARFU on September 17, 2016, 05:15:49 PM
Just an odd observation, I've been looking for a tail plate to replace a broken one, and all I can find on the auction site is head plates and complete reels and other reels with broken tail plates. I can buy a complete reel and use it for parts, but that still leaves me with a broken tail plate.  Are the tail plates fragile on the 285, or are they just getting hard to find?   Bill

PM your address and I'll send you one, I have several sitting here. Let me know if it is smooth or textured sideplate.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Thank you so much Ted, I really owe you guys a lot.....I have some serious "paying it forward" to do, you guys Dom, Darren, Fred, Alan, and I'm sorry if I missed anyone, have been more than generous!!!!  Bill

Alto Mare

Quote from: TARFU on September 17, 2016, 06:45:02 PM
Thank you so much Ted, I really owe you guys a lot.....I have some serious "paying it forward" to do, you guys Dom, Darren, Fred, Alan, and I'm sorry if I missed anyone, have been more than generous!!!!  Bill
If you did miss some, don't sweat it Bill, most don't do it for recognition. It's just the way it is over here. ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAre the tail plates fragile on the 285, or are they just getting hard to find?   Bill

I feel tail plates are always more susceptible to damage than a head plate. When you drop a reel, if the head plate is down, there are parts that may break the fall. The handle will deflect part of the forces. Not so when the tail plate is down. The first thing that hits is the corner of the plate. Handles bend, Bakelite tail plates break............<:O(             

See it all the time.

sdlehr

Mike, aren't the head plates also a tad thicker, and therefore stronger, too? They sure look that way to me.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, aren't the head plates also a tad thicker, and therefore stronger, too? They sure look that way to me.

Sure. There are probably a few models that do not fall into this norm; but, I would say that would be a "Rule of Thumb".

Bill B

Here is my garden variety 285, made a little bit special by the generosity of Ted....this is my first reel in this class, 285, LB 60 etc, has steel main and pinion and still smooth after all these years....now I see why they are so popular.....oh yeah Sal if you look in the back ground the 113 with your donation is live and looking good too.....Thanks guys, You're All Cool beans in my book   ;D   Bill

Alto Mare

Looking good Bill. Be careful, they will easily multiply on you. :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

I needed a bridge for a Long Beach I was working on. Scott's info indicated the 285 used a #3-66 bridge, same as a Long Beach. I had an old 285 in the donor box so I opened her up to extract that bridge. When I got the bridge out, I noticed it was numbered #3-85!  Well...I scratched my head...thought a bit...and surmised that if this #3-85 bridge fit the Delmar maybe it would fit the Long Beach too...and it did! All functions work fine.
   Now...my question: Did the 285 Delmar really use a #3-66 bridge or did it use the #3-85 like the one I opened? Also are the #3-85 and #3-66 bridges interchangeable? They sure seem to be as far as my Long Beach is concerned!  :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

On early models, the Delmar has a tad shorter gear sleeve. Not sure about later models

Penn Chronology

Quote from: mo65 on January 27, 2017, 03:46:45 PM

I needed a bridge for a Long Beach I was working on. Scott's info indicated the 285 used a #3-66 bridge, same as a Long Beach. I had an old 285 in the donor box so I opened her up to extract that bridge. When I got the bridge out, I noticed it was numbered #3-85!  Well...I scratched my head...thought a bit...and surmised that if this #3-85 bridge fit the Delmar maybe it would fit the Long Beach too...and it did! All functions work fine.
  Now...my question: Did the 285 Delmar really use a #3-66 bridge or did it use the #3-85 like the one I opened? Also are the #3-85 and #3-66 bridges interchangeable? They sure seem to be as far as my Long Beach is concerned!  Undecided

Posted  
]

They are all the same except they are different..........

Rule of thumb----If the screws go in smooth and easy and the bridge shaft is well centered in the plate, then it fits. The different part numbers may be because of when the parts were made, or possibly different alloys were used, even though the part works. I believe that there are probably cases where different part numbers are on identical parts. I guess over a span of 80 years, duplicate numbering is inevitable on some parts.

Maxed Out

Penns can be rebuilt just as they were back in the day. It just requires a good donor reel....or 2  :D  :D

-Ted