1 can chicken stock
½ cup white wine
2 tbsp. flour
½ jar capers
Diced sun dried tomatoes ¼ to ½ cup
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
4 tbsps. EVOO
½ lb. shrimp

Sauté the trigger fillets about 1/2 done in EVOO. Remove the fish and finish in a 375-degree oven. Add some shrimp and butter to the pan and cook 3/4 done then remove the shrimp. Add a tablespoon or two of flour to the hot pan, stirring to make a light roux. Deglaze the pan with 3/4 cup chicken stock, 1/2 cup white wine and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Add 1/2 jar of capers, some diced sun dried tomatoes and the partially cooked shrimp.

Reduce the sauce until it thickened. Season to taste with salt and coarse ground black pepper. Plate the fish over spaghetti noodles and top with the sauce. A little Chardonnay and some crusty bread finishes it off. Nice Sunday Supper

STRIPER LOU

How long will it take me to get to your house?
...........lou

conchydong

I just cleaned my mouth from drool over the short ribs that you posted and then I stumbled on this. Awesome food shots and I bet they taste even better than they look.

Scott

steelfish

dannng.... super

next time I catch few triggerfish I will try plate.. looks delicious
The Baja Guy

Marcq

Alto Mare

That looks really good, my kind of recipe.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

borchcl

I didn't save any triggers this year, but I may substitute red snapper. That plate sure looks good!
Regards,
Charlie

Long Enuff

Charlie, snapper, or any good bottom fish would work. The trigger is just a little sweeter and firmer.

smnaguwa

Any secrets on skinning/fileting triggerfish?

cbar45

Bill, that looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

Quote from: smnaguwa on April 16, 2016, 09:53:28 AM
Any secrets on skinning/fileting triggerfish?

Triggerfish are called "Hage" in Hawaii, with preference for eating usually given to the black and blue variety.

One way to filet them is to support the fish upright and make two cuts that end in a "V" near the head.

First cut starts behind the trigger and goes all the way to just in front of the pectoral fin.

Second begins at the bottom near the stomach, and transitions upwards to where you ended the first cut.

The head is then twisted off and the tough skin removed via peeling towards the tail with lineman's pliers.

As a boy, I recall watching my grandfather wield a sharpened cane-knife over a kiawe (mesquite) tree stump to clean triggerfish.

I was amazed at how fast and clean his knife work was. To this day I cannot clean triggerfish even half as fast; grilling them whole over an open fire is a tasty last resort.

Chad

Long Enuff

QuoteAny secrets on skinning/fileting triggerfish?

I Fillet them like any other fish, except use a very sharp stiff knife, like a boning knife.  Lots of practice!
Good times!

Bill

broschro

Fine mess of triggers right there. NC or Fl?

Long Enuff

Sixty miles off the coast of Charleston, SC, in 200 ft over live bottom.

borchcl

We tried snapper and it was good, I'll save a few triggers for this dish next year, if I get a chance. That sauce would probably work on most any fish, as you stated. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Charlie