Why is there not a Fin-Nor sub-forum?

Started by Nasty Wendy, April 13, 2016, 04:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

I have an opportunity to pick up a Fin-Nor Santiago 30W.  This would fill the last (yeah right) gap that I have in my arsenal.  I'm looking for a little feedback on these guys and I didn't see a Fin-Nor forum.  I know that it would be impossible to have a separate forum for EVERY manufacturer but I'm wondering if it is just 'common' knowledge to stay away from Fin-Nor?  I have a couple of their Offshore spinning reels and I love those heavy suckers (LOL).  Can I get some feedback on the Santiago 30W?  I can pick up a new one for $325 so if it is as good as the website specs say it is then this will be the one.  I only have until tomorrow to take advantage of this offer.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

Tightlines667

A dedicated sub-forum is nit a bad idea.  Fir more info, Try a search...

http://alantani.com/index.php?action=search2

Many local reel repair guys (here in HI), and fishermen have expressed a dislike for the Santiago line. 

I have worked on a number of them, and I find temperature to be quality reels.  I havn'the fished these reels myself, but my impressions/tentative opinions are :

-Lightweight
-Solid frame
-Tight overall tollerances... may require shimming as the reel wears
-2 speed mech. is a bit finicky with old grease, or dirt intrusion
-Great drag
-Freespool can suffer as bellevilles wear
-Good gearset, though it does wear
-I like the handles
-Anodizing is not the best on the market
-Although many complain about parts availability, I have found this to be a non-issue on any of the more modern models.

I would say as long as you service then regularly, take care of them, and fish the reel within intended specs.  They will work great.  Though I would probably recommend a different reel for hard use (>150-200 days per year), if pressed. 

I do really like the Marquesas for a mid sized reel.

Just some opinions. 

Don't be afraid to do a through preservice yourself, if you pick one up.  Parts can be readily ordered online, as needed. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 13, 2016, 05:25:56 AM
A dedicated sub-forum is nit a bad idea.  Fir more info, Try a search...

Many local reel repair guys (here in HI), and fishermen have expressed a dislike for the Santiago line.  

I have worked on a number of them, and I find temperature to be quality reels.  I havn'the fished these reels myself, but my impressions/tentative opinions are :

-Lightweight
-Solid frame
-Tight overall tollerances... may require shimming as the reel wears
-2 speed mech. is a bit finicky with old grease, or dirt intrusion
-Great drag
-Freespool can suffer as bellevilles wear
-Good gearset, though it does wear
-I like the handles
-Anodizing is not the best on the market
-Although many complain about parts availability, I have found this to be a non-issue on any of the more modern models.

I would say as long as you service then regularly, take care of them, and fish the reel within intended specs.  They will work great.  Though I would probably recommend a different reel for hard use (>150-200 days per year), if pressed.  

I do really like the Marquesas for a mid sized reel.

Just some opinions.  

Don't be afraid to do a through preservice yourself, if you pick one up.  Parts can be readily ordered online, as needed.  

Thanks John.  I only wish I could fish 150+ days a year offshore.  Man that would be GREAT.  I am only a recreational fisher and unfortunately I can go months at times with out getting out to fish so it would be very safe to say the reel wouldn't be for HARD use.  One day I may grow out of this but for now I can't bring myself to chose a reel less capable than what I can afford.  I'm sure it has something to do with those times I've hooked onto monsters while doing very light tackle fishing.  Like the time I was fishing for speckled trout using a light spinning reel with 14lb test line and a Jack Crevalle spooled me down to the arbor knot.  And there was the time I was fishing speckled trout using a light tackle reel with 14lb test and a porpoise snatched my live shrimp and spooled me down to the arbor knot.  The reason I know what those fish that spooled me were was I saw the Crevalle take the bait and a Pod of Porpoises immediately started surface bobbing around the boat as my reel started singing.  So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Santiago unless someone else has something else that I should be wary of.  Your input is helping me to go with it as I wouldn't have a problem taking proper care of the reel.  Its drag ratings are top notch for the 30 size reels.  Maybe I should fish speckled trout with it....hmmmm.   :)

Oh I had done a search and found very little on these reels.
Hi I'm Clay.

Tightlines667

Heck of a story..
I had a spotted dolphin steal my Dolphinfish right off of a horsehair jig once, then swim by and show me his prize once when fishing offshore LA, so I believe the tale.

Just be aware that it is always a gamble when buying used big game reels since replacingredients worn bearinfs, pawls, ratchets, plates, drag washers, and gear sets can get pricy quickly.  If you are able to hold te reel and test it B4 purchase, you can get a much better idea of what may deserve attention before spooling it up with new line.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 13, 2016, 05:56:42 AM
Heck of a story..
I had a spotted dolphin steal my Dolphinfish right off of a horsehair jig once, then swim by and show me his prize once when fishing offshore LA, so I believe the tale.

Just be aware that it is always a gamble when buying used big game reels since replacingredients worn bearinfs, pawls, ratchets, plates, drag washers, and gear sets can get pricy quickly.  If you are able to hold te reel and test it B4 purchase, you can get a much better idea of what may deserve attention before spooling it up with new line.

Wow.  I have never had one take a hooked fish from me but those suckers are smart.  I was very shocked he took the hooked shrimp.
The reel I'm probably gonna get is a new reel.  Its price is reduced due to it being a show case display model.  I will definitely make sure it is 100% or it'll be going back unless its something minor and I can get it to 100% easily and inexpensively. 
Hi I'm Clay.

Shark Hunter

Jeremy Wade fishes a lot of Fin Nor's. That is Good enough for me. ;)
I often wonder what a Big fish feels when he picks up one of my baits.
He has gotten away with a lot until he meets me.
I am fishing 100lb minimum monofilament line and when it goes tight, you better hold on.
The very few Sharks I've caught are either fighting to the end or swimming towards me when they know they are not going to win.
My biggest so far is only 89" of Hammerhead from the beach.
After a 30 minute or so fight he was not willing to give up easily.
I am hoping to break into the 10' club this year.
I really don't want to wrestle with anything bigger.
Getting them back swimming as quick as possible is the hard part.
I'm fishing Big senators and Everol's.
Lots of time prepping for the minutes of the fight.
Life is Good!

oc1

Originally, Fin Nor was beyond the reach of us common folk who had to scrimp and save to buy a Senator.  When Penn Internationals came out the advertising would lead you to believe they were like a Fin Nor but at a more affordable price.  I'm psychologically scarred and still covet Fin Nor even though you can get one for a hundred bucks now.  But, just can't find an application any more.
-steve

alantani

i've had some of them apart, but not many.  we just don't see that many of them here in california.  funny, though. at the fred hall show a couple of years ago, warren hamachi and i headed out to dinner at local sushi bar and wound up talking to one of the vp's at quantum.  i had him join us and we had a great talk.  the next year they were a no-show at fred hall, though.  i was thinking that it would be great to do a series on the quantum/zebco/finnor line, but i never have the time.  hey, maybe after i retire!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I feel your pain Boss.
I have bought two of the Lethal 100 spinners. I just hope the stem doesn't snap off.
There have been a lot of reports of this happening.
I think the old fin nor is a different entity.
They are made in China now, just like a lot of penns.
I plan on giving these reels a workout.
Instead of buying parts, I just bought a second reel.
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

I'd be down with this, they make some decent reels for the money.  Some guys in the Northeast swear by the OFC reels that were discontinued, they made a L series with lower gears that guys use deep dropping.  I'm a fan of the Ahab spinners and honestly the early Fin-Nor 12 or 12/20 Light Golden Regal is the most beautiful reel of all time; it's on my uber want list  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Nasty Wendy

Well I pulled the trigger on this Santiago 30W.

It will fill the hole in my arsenal quite nicely.  I have a Tyrnos 16II and my next size coventional was that Penn International 80W I just picked up.  I think I needed something in an imbetween size.  I do have a Penn Peer 309 but that is what I let folks with no gear borrow when they need a rod/reel.  

I LOVE my Fin-Nor spinners.  I have the OFS 9500 and the OFS 6500.  Built like TANKS they are.  They are heavy but I only jig with the 6500.  The 9500 is my go to reel for bottom fishing when I'm tired.  Strange to go to the heavy reel when you are tired but I'll take a heavy spinner that hangs under the rod than a light conventional that I have to hold up.  Its not so much the holding but its the fighting of the fish and countering the laws of physics that make the reel want to rotate to a position of rest.  I haven't hooked into anything that my OFS 9500 couldn't handle yet.  
Hi I'm Clay.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 16, 2016, 04:24:20 AM
That is a sweet looking reel Clay.

Thanks.  That's how they fish for people, by making them pretty. :D  Should be here in a couple of days. :)
Hi I'm Clay.

handi2

Here are some pictures of a Fin Nor spinner I serviced a few months ago. I don't remember the model but do remember the internals.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: handi2 on April 17, 2016, 05:59:23 PM
Here are some pictures of a Fin Nor spinner I serviced a few months ago. I don't remember the model but do remember the internals.

I just wish I knew if what I'm looking at in that picture is good or bad.  LOL
Hi I'm Clay.