Torsa 40 (unused) teardown and rebuild

Started by reelgood, February 27, 2011, 03:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelgood

I originally posted this on another site:

Haven't fished this thing yet but decided to get it ready, thought I would document it since I haven't seen one done for a Torsa yet.  I used penn reel grease, Cal's, and corrosion-x and pretty much tried to follow most of Alan Tani's procedures

schematics
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/TS40_v1_m56577569830629604.pdf

Disassembly:

Size comparison to Trinidad 30

5 screws to remove left side plate

unscrew drag cam and remove along w/ lever

remove spool and don't lose pin (902)

remove drag quadrant and plate, don't fiddle with strike stop or free spool bump or pressure springs (871) will shoot across the room

frame

right side w/ spool removed

remove A/R dog plate

gear size

cooling shield and drag plate removed, six tiny screws

drag washer and order of rt. Side spool bearings with spring in between

drag disc front, back, and size

left side of spool and order – part (92) "coned disc springs" go ()()

spool shaft detail with flange for bearing

pretty simple so far

remove handle

pull out A/R ratchet/shaft, note washer on top of main gear and 4 A/R ratchet pins (1222) don't lose them

pull out right side plate bearing and pinion gear, note size of pinion

right side plate with A/R 1-way bearing jammed inside (part is not labeled on schematic)

note O-ring around cooling shield (grease it) and pressure plate removed from pinion guard to grease underneath

Assembly:

larger left side spool bearing on top (comes opened) and one of the rt. side spool bearing  below which I opened with x-acto blade

grease rt. side of spool below drag disk

grease pinion guard underneath pressure plate

note order on left side of spool shaft going l to r: c-clip, spring washers[92] like this ()(), bearing thrust washer [91], bearing [1239]

attach clicker support cover and grease spool surface

opened rt. side  2nd spool bearing

installed drag disk after greasing with Cal's, two identical spool bearings with spring in between

installed pinion guard and cooling shield

greased left side plate and clicker mechanism

pinion bearing is open already, I left the 2 main shaft bearings sealed and flooded some corrosion X into them, grease bottom of main gear

installed main gear, washer on top, A/R ratchet pins, ratchet, and pinion gear

grease main shaft and install handle order or parts shown

install A/R dog plate making sure dog is engaged properly (small screwdriver helps)

disassemble and grease drag lever pin and spring mechanism

grease rt side of frame and under harness lugs, then make sure you put the spool in before attaching the frame or you will have to remove rt. side and try again :rolleyes:

attach right side plate making sure pin in spool shaft is engaged

grease and attach drag quadrant and plate

attach drag lever and cam DONE!

I forgot to do the handle assembly itself, will do later not going to bother taking photos of that.  Hope this helps

Here is the exchange with Alan from another site where I originally posted this:

M:
much better freespool but, when i rotate the reel 90 degrees to the right the spool stops spinning pretty quickly, which it was doing before as well. I am going to play around by moving the washer from the left side of the spool shaft to the right side later to see if it helps by separating the spool further from the drag plate/pinion meshing when in freespool. It's not a huge issue but I would like to figure it out, seem to remember this happens in some other reels need to do a search on it later

from Alan:
that business about the spool stopping when you turn the reel to the right is common to shimano's because the use a c-clip on the tld's and tiagras (or a milled-in collar in your case) to function as a bearing sleeve. because the "sleeve" is too long, you get this problem. to fix it, you have to shim the outside race of the right spool bearing. not too much, though, or you will loose freespool.

Me:
Hi Alan, Thanks for the tip on the freespool - since there are sort of 2 right side spool bearings (2nd one inside the "pinion guard" which is the inner black plate to which the drag pressure plate is screwed) do you mean to insert the shim between the outer race of the inner right spool bearing and the spring or between the 2nd outer rt. side spool bearing and where it seats inside the pinion guard, or would either produce the same result?

kamuwela

Alto Mare

I like what I see in this reel, gives a good meaning to the phrase...you get what you pay for. Thanks for showing it to us, great job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Great job.  Wow, what a posting.  Thanks for sharing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

that is a solid reel.was there any grease anywhere. gd stuff

alantani

beautiful reel.  alot simpler than i would have expected. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Does this reel have any plastic parts anywhere? You made me very interested in this reel. Thanks for your time, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reelgood

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys

@wallace - the reel was pretty dry, exposed metal surfaces were bone dry, gears had some grease though.  The bearings - some were open already, some were closed and easy to open with the exacto, and the 2 mainshaft bearings were closed and had those harder to remove seals with continuous notching around the circumfrence if you have seen what I mean?  i left those 2 closed

@alto - the only plastic parts are the plate under the chrome drag quadrant that housed the two drag lever bump-stops and their springs.  the bumps-stops are also plastic

Some other notes:

The Torsa 40 does not share parts with all the other Torsas, it has its own drag cams in fact the stock LRS cam of the 40 has a very similar curve and max drag to the 80 BFS cam.

The gears are larger and the handle is longer on the 40 than the 16, 20 and 30, and added to the 4.9:1 lower ratio than the other Torsas this feels like a nice winch.  I was spooling some line off a Baja Special onto it to test the drags and had the Baja set over 20# and was cranking line very easily onto the Torsa.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the  info, I appreciate it. Sal

Alto Mare

My birthday is coming up. Is there anyone that used this reel out there? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! Sal

hafnor

A lot of guys are using this reel for heavy bottom fising and jigging for tuna

reelgood

Just a quick note for anyone taking apart a Torsa 30, the A/R dog is not a spring loaded type like the 40 but a pincer type and looking at the schematics, make sure you don't yank off the gear cover to which it is attached until you free the toothed cam/main gear to pull out with it or you will risk breaking it.  Haven't checked the other models but probably same as the 30

Perhaps if someone has one, they can see if it can be easily modified to the spring loaded style.

basto

Beautifully done. Congrats on the photos, excellent!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

I like the bearing flanges on the spool shaft.  Are they an alternative to a sleeve?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B