Harnell 630 two piece

Started by steelhead_killer, April 17, 2016, 02:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Found this at an estate sale today.  Generally good shape.  Does anyone have some background on this old gal?  It had a Penn 112 mounted on it with like 40 lb mono.  This rod says 18lb??  When did they make 18b mono?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

FatTuna

All I know is those Harnell rods are collectible. I bought two 16/0s that had Harnell rods attached. They got a lot of attention.

steelhead_killer

matched it with a P220 with 20lb mono, slow action, good backbone.  Might have to rewrap it!  Does anyone know what the original rod butt cap was?  Chrome?
><)))">

anglingarchitect

Harnell was the shizzle back in the day they are collectable aren't they.

steelhead_killer

I am trying to find out...  this one needs a re-wrap and butt cap
><)))">

oc1

Won't rewrapping it ruin the value?  If the guides are good I'd just give it a light coat of color preserver and then thinned varnish.  My recollection is that the butt caps were common black plastic, about 3/4 inch high.  630 is the blank designation.  With Harnells, 18 lb represents how much the rod weighs (just kidding).  That's a really nice find.
-steve

theswimmer

Steel,
Photo the missing butt section and I will see if it matches any of the Harnell brochures that I have.
I would not rewrap , just clean it up,stablize and preserve the same wraps and go fishing.
The guys here know I am not a collector but a fisher, I fish every Harnell I own😎
Great find by the way......
Best
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

thorhammer

had one lemme see if I can find it

steelhead_killer

><)))">

oc1

Is that the stripping guide?  They're Mildrum guides and reel seat.  It's not the tungsten carbide guide ring though.  I don't think they would have scrimped on the guides (certainly not the stripper) so that may be a clue to the age.  My guess is early 1960's... but that's only a guess.

Coincidentally, I stopped in the local tackle shop today and there was bundle of rods on the counter that had been bought in for repair.  There's a Harnell in the group that looks like it had not been used in many years.  The proprietor knew it was a Harnell, but wasn't as impressed as I was.  It is a six foot boat rod with the turned wood boat rod handle and mushroom butt cap that was popular in the day.  It has original wrapping, the tip top ring is broken/missing, and it had spinning guides.  Sort of weird for a boat rod but I guess they made a little of everything.
-steve

Cor

I remember from the late 60's that some guye imported a number of these blanks to Cape Town as they were regarded as great casting rods and generally seen as desirable tackle.   Based on that your date seems to be in the ballpark oc1.

Cornelis

theswimmer

OK
The butt should have a rubber cap of a light reddish brown color.
I have a rod with this cap but it is at Lake Almanor.
Just about a 7 hour drive from home......
When I go there for the hex hatch in the spring I will foto so you can have a reference pic.
Best
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn