Over the weekend

Started by theswimmer, April 18, 2016, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

While we were all enjoying our selves in Morro Bay this happens,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-teens-swept-sea-san-francisco-beach-presumed-195845018.html

I will sound like a broken record here but the Pacific Ocean is not a pond.
Please be super carefull when you are out , rarely is there a second chance.
I'll say a prayer for their family and friends.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

David Hall

I just heard about a commercial boat, breached by a whale, went down, boat and captain lost. On Monday out of Santa Cruz.
Then the Maximus went down off Cedros islands all hands safe but the boat is lost.
Careful out there people.  Safety first safety first safety first.

cluster

You can never be too careful.
Yeah, I'm going to learn some tricks, the best ones. I need to learn all the main racers silverstone grand prix 2019. Then I'll try my hand there. That place looks pretty cool.

foakes

Quote from: theswimmer on April 18, 2016, 01:55:26 PM
While we were all enjoying our selves in Morro Bay this happens,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-teens-swept-sea-san-francisco-beach-presumed-195845018.html

I will sound like a broken record here but the Pacific Ocean is not a pond.
Please be super carefull when you are out , rarely is there a second chance.
I'll say a prayer for their family and friends.

This was a terrible tragedy for the families involved and the survivors —

I wonder if they were high, drunk, or just incredibly stupid (I think there is an APP for that)...

Nature doesn't care whether or not you take responsibility for your stupidity — it rarely offers second chances.

Darwin's Rules.

While over in the Monterey Bay Area for 4 days last week — we observed very aggressive seas in the bay — and it is generally worse on the leading edge of the Ocean — outside the bay — North to the San Francisco beaches that face the Pacific.

What we saw was similar to looking down into a washing machine when the agitator is going —

There were no boats on the water.

Sad —and so preventable at the same time...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gman_WC

My brother and I would go stay a few weeks during the summer at my aunt\uncle's with our cousins in SF.
They lived on the Great Hwy in SF, a block north of the zoo.
The rules were never turn your back on the ocean, remember the 9th wave, and don't go in deeper than your ankles.
It's sad that every year several people are swept off the beach and are drowned. People panic fighting it instead of swimming parallel to the shore, and back to land at an angle. and the cold water is no help.
Much of the west coasts facing beaches are danger zones. Ocean Beach has a unique geography that makes it deadly for sure.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Why-S-F-s-Ocean-Beach-is-Deadly-Several-3002654.php
Walnut Creek, CA

theswimmer

Quote from: Gman_WC on February 22, 2019, 02:53:12 AM
My brother and I would go stay a few weeks during the summer at my aunt\uncle's with our cousins in SF.
They lived on the Great Hwy in SF, a block north of the zoo.
The rules were never turn your back on the ocean, remember the 9th wave, and don't go in deeper than your ankles.
It's sad that every year several people are swept off the beach and are drowned. People panic fighting it instead of swimming parallel to the shore, and back to land at an angle. and the cold water is no help.
Much of the west coasts facing beaches are danger zones. Ocean Beach has a unique geography that makes it deadly for sure.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Why-S-F-s-Ocean-Beach-is-Deadly-Several-3002654.php

All that and more
Fleishacker zoo .
Grand parents had a place about 2 blocks from the beach .
Really don't turn your back on the Big Pond in that area ..........

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Ron Jones

There is a story Jeff Cooper told of a hunter who was killed by a Nyati when a horn went into a Femoral artery. His responce was "this is all high drama and part of what makes our sport so interesting" or something to that effect. Surfers and beachcombers die every year doing what they love, a part of me says lucky them. If this was a cae of stupid, intoxicated people paying for their irresosibility, I'm OK ith that also.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Fishy247

QuoteI just heard about a commercial boat, breached by a whale, went down, boat and captain lost. On Monday out of Santa Cruz.

Do you know what boat it was Dave?

David Hall

its been almost three years, im afraid I do not remember the name of the boat.

Fishy247

Oh, OK. I thought it was something that just happened and I hadn't heard about it.

Swami805

There was one out of Morro Bay over a decade ago that was coming in from albacore fishing that was crushed by a breaching whale. One person was killed and the other injured, the boat was totaled. Couldn't find it on the web but I'm sure it's on there somewhere. Pretty long odds on that happening.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

I remember that one as well, the boat owner was crushed and his buddy fell to the floor and rolled up against the rail and lived.  I see whales breaching and as spectacular a sight as it is, I do my best to stay well away from them.  the closest ive been to a breach is about 1/2 mile and that is plenty close enough.