Metaloid 5Ns - Angular contact bearing

Started by boon, April 19, 2016, 05:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

So, for a laugh, I just put an angular contact bearing in the right side plate of my little Metaloid 5Ns
Bearing is a VXB 706C, packed with grease.

Got almost 28lb of drag at full with good freespool. The handle doesn't bind but it also doesn't turn completely freely. Which I guess I can kinda excuse seeing as it's a small reel and it's probably freaking out with that much tension on everything. Drag still smooth at 28lb. That setting gives me about 17.5lb at Strike and the handle still feels good.
I use this reel for mechanical jigging with 50lb braid so 28lb drag is complete overkill, just nice to know it could do it I guess.

jaypeegee

strathy

Hi boon,
Is there any chance of you showing what you did, with pics please.
I,ve just bought a pair of Metaloids, 5IILX and 12IILX, and I,m interested in seeing pics of their insides and tuning tricks for them.
Strathy

boon

I'm trying to post my tutorial/guide and the forum keeps throwing an error :( Will persist though.

redsetta

Hi boon,
I followed your lead and fitted an angular contact bearing to my 5NS over the weekend.
I've set 'full' with a 10kg/22lb weight (rather than a drag scale) and it's spot on.
As you point out, it does become slightly harder to wind at these higher settings, but it's still perfectly smooth.
I haven't tested strike, but figure it's ~7kg/15lb and could pull that all day long...
I'm really happy with the outcome and now just waiting till I can put it to the test.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

boon

Good stuff Justin :)

As an FYI, running drag pressure as high as I was eventually flogged out the left side spool bearing.

But I caught some decent fish with it in the interim. I now have the reel on a Jigstar Ninja Ultralight and it is a lovely little combo.

redsetta

Thanks boon - good to know.
So you reckon 15lb/22lb should be sustainable?
Also, out of interest, what's your 'step-up' reel for horse kings?
Cheers

boon

Yep, I think 15lb at strike is fine, especially if you're seldom going "over the button" up to full.

My new "tiger country" jigging reel is a Makaira Spin 20000. I changed over to spin because even with narrow reels I was having trouble with line management when mechanical jigging. Dedicated livebait setup is a Talica 25 spooled with 80lb hollowcore on a Status Bent Butt.

Although it might sound a bit criminal, the Metaloid/Ninja combo is actually my go-to bait fishing setup for Tarakihi and Cod in >50m or so - although I'm confident that it would knock over a fairly decent fish if it had to. I've got 300m of braid on it so I could probably even fish it for 'puka if we were on one of the shallower reefs without too much current.

redsetta

Nice one boon.
I have a similar quandary and a big spinner might be the only solution.
I'm all set in the 50lb category (and have 80lb and 130lb kit for livie/bait/troll), but have a hole in the quiver re: 80lb top-water and mech jig set-ups.
I only run overheads these days, but it's looking like the best solution will be a Daiwa Dogfight or your Mak 20000 doing double duty.
I try to do a 'tiger country' (great phrase btw ;)) trip twice a year, so I'll have to make a decision before the water warms up again.
Thanks again for the insight.
Cheers, Justin

Tiddlerbasher

I played with a AG bearing (actaltually 2 of them) in an Andros 5 (original) - Was not over impressed - cost v performance.
Back the drag off to 10lb strike 20lb full and no binding - standard bearings are fine. Is it worth it for an an extra couple pounds of drag :-\

boon

Quote from: redsetta on July 23, 2018, 08:59:59 PM
Nice one boon.
I have a similar quandary and a big spinner might be the only solution.
I'm all set in the 50lb category (and have 80lb and 130lb kit for livie/bait/troll), but have a hole in the quiver re: 80lb top-water and mech jig set-ups.
I only run overheads these days, but it's looking like the best solution will be a Daiwa Dogfight or your Mak 20000 doing double duty.
I try to do a 'tiger country' (great phrase btw ;)) trip twice a year, so I'll have to make a decision before the water warms up again.
Thanks again for the insight.
Cheers, Justin

Honestly I wouldn't fish top-water with a Mak20k unless it was for really big GTs up in the islands and I needed to be able to lock off on 100lb and tow them out of the reef with the boat. It's an absolute brick of a reel; I'm not lightly built either and an hour of jigging with it makes my arms feel like they're going to fall off.

The 10k however is a different kettle of fish-catching-equipment.

redsetta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 23, 2018, 10:58:03 PM
I played with a AC bearing (actually 2 of them) in an Andros 5 (original) - Was not over impressed - cost v performance.
Back the drag off to 10lb strike 20lb full and no binding - standard bearings are fine. Is it worth it for an an extra couple pounds of drag :-\
I reckon you're right TB.
On the plus side, it was only $30 and I'm liking getting closer to the quoted max drag without the grind 'n' bind that was happening with the standard bearing.
Will start looking some at 80lb options - beginning with the 10K Mak it appears!
Cheers lads

Tiddlerbasher

Remember to fit an AC bearing in the left side spool as well - the whole setup will last longer (and cost more ;D)

redsetta

Hi all,
Having already done the AC mod, and following boon's Solterra rundown (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18535.0), I decided to try his other 5N mod and switch out the handle.

The Solterra handle is significantly larger and offset, and the blade's slightly longer, which make it a much better candidate for mechanical jigging.

It also feels a lot more like my Jigging Master PE6 set-up, so it's more 'familiar' all round...

Side by side, the differences are apparent. The Solterra blade is 1mm thinner, however, so it'll need a shim.

I had an eared drag washer that was nearly fit for purpose - 21mm OD and 1mm thick, just had to auger out the ID to 11mm.

Here it is in situ...

And reassembled. By the way, the 14mm handle nut is reverse thread and the handle blade is conventionally threaded onto the drive shaft.

I wasn't really that happy with adding another corrosion point into the handle assembly, so I decided to cut another shim from some 1mm CF sheet Wallace sent me years ago.

In place:

And reassembled:

It's all really snug and looks good too I reckon  ;)

Thanks for the inspiration boon.

PS I've been hunting the world for 6mm x 15mm x 5mm angular contact bearing for the left side of the spool, but no success yet.
I've tried Germany, Japan, the US, Australia, China etc.
I actually found one on a site called something like Alibaba but, despite being magnificently packaged, it literally fell apart in my hand as I went to grease it - caveat emptor!
Anyway, if anyone has a source, I'd be keen to hear as that AC mod would be the last step in the 5N upgrades.

Righto, all the best.
Cheers, Justin

boon

That's awesome, great idea on the spacer. What a beasty little reel it is with that handle on it! I'd be sending pics to Okuma NZ and asking why they don't offer it as a factory option  ;D