Thunnus 12000F

Started by Alto Mare, April 21, 2016, 03:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just received this reel, I heard some great things about it and wanted to check it out.
I wanted to take a peek of the inside, but couldn't find anything on line, so I decided to give it a shot

This is a big reel, loaded with some good features.
Here are the specs:

Loosening the drag knob and pulling the spool

While I'm here, I'll check the drag washers

Washers are of some type of felt, they are very effective though. This reel generates over 25lb of drag with those (3) washers...not bad
The reel feels extremely smooth for its size.
The handle is nice and beefy

I will now move on to the housing, again, this is the first time to me, I'll use some common sense and see if that works.

This reel has a Baitrunner System, I decided to remove the left side of the baitrunner lever keeping the right side intact

And the  side cover comes right off

I like what I see...

Removing the side cover flange and the main gear comes out

Here I'm trying to figure out how to remove the spool shaft

And got it! These guys at Shimano are smart, the oscillating slider retainer is one of the best design I've ever seen to date, simple and effective

Next, the rotor nut, check out the rotor nut retainer...very nice

Counter clockwise on the nut.

And the rotor slides right off

Next, the roller clutch.
Remove the (4) screws as I'm showing and leave the (2) black screws intact, unless you want to deal with small parts and such

The pinion with the bearing can now be removed.

If any reel ever feels a little rough, most times it would be this pinion bearing gone bad

The patented worm gear design moves the spool at two speed, up fast and down slow. This winds the line in a precise pattern,
it will also reduce friction to give smoother longer casts

The baitrunner system comes with a tension dial, this helps with fine tuning for all fishing situations.
As soon as you are ready to strike, after the fish picks up the bait and swims away, you simply turn the handle and the baitrunner disengages. The front adjustable drag will then come into operation

The spool shaft and gears go back in, along with the side cover.

And this one is done.

Beautiful reel, I really like it.
I hope for whatever its worth, it is of some help for some.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

I always thought this was just a metal version of the Baitrunner, but now I see it has worm gear oscillation, so there's more to it. Looks like a quality reel.

Shark Hunter

Great work Sal. Its funny how we wander from our Penn roots.
There are some quality reels out there. For $170. Not too bad. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I used to own one of these, and used it to cast surface papers to Wahoo (when chunking), and jigs to Dolphinfish laying under sargasum mats.  I liked it... lightweight, well-balanced, good capacity, and smooth drag.  I am a bit ashamed to admit, that I never once cracked her open.  Nice to finally get a look inside. 

Nice work on the tutorial, as always Sal.

So who you gonna donate the at wrench to this time ?  :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 21, 2016, 04:03:36 AM
Great work Sal. Its funny how we wander from our Penn roots.
There are some quality reels out there. For $170. Not too bad. ;)

Daron, i know you're good at finding great deals, could you let me know where you've seen this reel for $170?... I might pick up another ;D

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 21, 2016, 05:24:03 AM
I used to own one of these, and used it to cast surface papers to Wahoo (when chunking), and jigs to Dolphinfish laying under sargasum mats.  I liked it... lightweight, well-balanced, good capacity, and smooth drag.  I am a bit ashamed to admit, that I never once cracked her open.  Nice to finally get a look inside. 

John, it is well balanced, but not really light.
This one is the older model, the new Thunnus 12000ci4 is a little lighter.
A little extra weight doesn't bother me.

Thanks guys!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Thanks for that Sal!  ;)

The Thunnus is well known for being a quality reel. I'd get some carbon fiber washers in there but other than that might be the highest quality "bait runner" style reel out there.

best

erikpowell

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 21, 2016, 05:24:03 AM

Thank you Sal. Good one.
Great reels, I had one for awhile but passed it on to friend here long time back.
Like John, I just never got around to opening it up.
Wish i still had it, especially after seeing the guts  ;D

Alto Mare

Thanks guys.
Mr Tuttle, I had a feeling you would know something about this reel.
With you, it's easier figuring out which reel you're not familiar with, but I'm not sure there are any :)
Thanks for the input my friend.

Sal

handi2

I'll send you the Carbontex set. This is a "saltwater" reel.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on April 21, 2016, 10:26:35 PM
I'll send you the Carbontex set. This is a "saltwater" reel.

Keith
Keith, I appreciate the offer, but I believe I could manage a set. Thank you just the same.

Later buddy.

Sal

cbar45

Thanks for the photos Sal!

That reel looks to be the epitome of toughness refined..

Chad

Alto Mare

Quote from: cbar45 on April 22, 2016, 08:58:41 AM
Thanks for the photos Sal!

That reel looks to be the epitome of toughness refined..

Chad
Chad, that would be a good description ;D.

Thanks!

Sal

exp2000

Thanks Sal,

I reckon the new Ci4's are even better than their predecessors.

I am so impressed with them that I recently picked up an 8000 for myself.

Cheers,
Brett.

Wolli

Hi Sal,

and here is the schematics

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Alto Mare

Quote from: exp2000 on April 24, 2016, 05:22:11 PM
Thanks Sal,

I reckon the new Ci4's are even better than their predecessors.

I am so impressed with them that I recently picked up an 8000 for myself.

Cheers,
Brett.
Brett, I believe the two models are pretty much the same, with the exception of the weight.
I was also impressed and will probably  grab a smaller one as well. This is a nice reel.
Even though it is a baitrunner, I believe it is very much manageable, as for full service...even for a guy like me.

Quote from: Wolli on April 24, 2016, 10:58:05 PM
Hi Sal,

and here is the schematics

Wolli

Wolli, I could have really used it a week ago, I had to guess on some parts.
Thanks for posting it, it's good to have.

Sal