Penn Torque Reels

Started by Mike_C, December 30, 2008, 05:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_C

Hello Alan,

I was wondering if you had a chance to play with the new Torque series reels by Penn. I was interested in getting another reel for Potluck fishing in the delta and bay, Striper, Sturgeon, Halibut etc etc. I came across this product data sheet on another website and was wondering your thoughts on the reel. I'm always confused why reel manufactor's use such a small line test to show capacity, is this the line test they recommend? Is the Torque 100  meant to fish with 12lb test on it? What model number would this compare to Accurate, 197? or which Avet?

LIghtweight and Strong Aluminum Alloy; Forged & machined Frame, Spool, and Side plates
* Infinite anti-reverse Roller Bearing PLUS Double Dog system Backup
* Precision Machined Stainless Steel Main Gear (6.3:1 Gear Ratio)
* Heat-treated Stainless Steel Pinion Gear for strength
* Versa-drag, Multiple Drag-stack Arrangement
* Disengaging Pinion for superior Free Spool
* Oversized Soft-Grip Power Handle
* Four Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
* Stainless Steel Reel Stand
* One-Piece, Open-Top Frame

TRQ 100 Mono 450/12, Braid 550/30, 6.3-1, 16 oz.
TRQ 200 Mono 450/16, Braid 450/50, 6.3-1, 20 oz.
TRQ 300 Mono 360/30, Braid 360/80, 6.3-1, 29 oz.

dobrobill

Seems questions on the torque don't get much attention, but I also ask are any users here using the torque reels? I would like to know some down and dirty or up notes on the trq40/30/20's. They are star drag, aluminum bodies and side plates made in USA according to Penn and have 25lbs of drag.

john2244

On a trip in February I was lucky to win a Penn Torque 25 as a raffle prize.  It was spooled with 50# spectra and mono.  I used it later in the trip and caught a few Wahoo.  It cast very well and the drags held up fine catching the wahoo.  I would not recommend it as a wahoo reel because it is too wide for my liking but it did work fine.  I now use the reel for casting surface jigs for bass and yellowtail.

John

dobrobill

Alto Mare

Quote from: john2244 on June 29, 2012, 09:35:42 PM
On a trip in February I was lucky to win a Penn Torque 25 as a raffle prize.  It was spooled with 50# spectra and mono.  I used it later in the trip and caught a few Wahoo.  It cast very well and the drags held up fine catching the wahoo.  I woul not recommend it as a wahoo reel because it is too wide for my liking but it did work fine.  I now use the reel for casting surface jigs for bass and yellowtail.
John
Very nice John, as I have learned from the past: money goes to money ;) ;D.
I'm glad  you got it John, nice guys deserve a gift every now and then.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

nice reels, just expensive.  go with 300 to 400 yards of whatever weight braid fills the spool.  the reel can handle it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!