Mitchell 300 Spool--Thank you Fred!

Started by cbar45, April 22, 2016, 09:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

I was on the lookout for an aluminum deep-spool to upgrade my early 60's reel, and Fred (foakes) came through with flying colors.

These silver spools were originally made for the 300-A series, but will fit earlier models as well:

Chad

Rancanfish

Wow, that sure dresses that little machine up!  The guy fishing next to you won't have a carbon copy.

Fred has saved the day for me several times too, quite the AT.com asset don't you know.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

That really looks good, Chad -- particularly with the power handle material matching the spool.

However the one issue to be aware of -- and you already know this, Chad -- but some other folks may not --

These reels need to be fished within their limits and capabilities -- because the skinny aluminum crank arm will tend to twist or distort under overload -- and then the gears in the 300s are an alloy material, instead of brass or bronze.

So sometimes over torquing will cause damage.

It is good, as most of us already do naturally -- to visualize the workings of our reels -- and how all parts interact with each other when under stress and fishing conditions.

As a side note -- while not an expert on the Mitchells, like some foks -- My inventory is always changing -- and generally have around 400 of these neat old reels at any one time.  Plus many, many thousands of NOS parts.

This has allowed me to become very familiar with the different Mitchell models over the years.

One can study Mitchells -- and go as deep into them -- as Michael does with Penn & OC -- and still never know it all.

One little tidbit -- how many of you know what a 300 Mitchell is?  Likely most everyone...

How many know what a 300C is?  These are fairly rare -- but if you can get one or have a chance to obtain one -- you will find that the "C" means it has a bearing in the Pinion/Rotor area, and also a bearing in the crank assembly.  All regular 300s have brass bushings -- still good -- but the bearings are an improvement.

Great old reels that most of us grew up with -- and still are capable fish catching machines.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Everything coming from Chad's bench always looks extra nice, you got some good stuff Chad. ;)

Fred, you're the man!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cbar45

Thanks guys!

Ditto what Fred said. The early handles were spring-loaded for folding and prone to twisting out of position. A drop of epoxy on the cleaned mechanism helps keep them in place; that is if you don't mind having a permanently fixed handle. The better fix is to swap in a handle from the later 300 (or 400) models. These had the threaded lock-nut folding mechanisms--much more stable.

If you can't find a 300-C, another option would be to look for a 410-A. These had very similar gears and line capacity, with the same needle-roller bearings as the 300-C. Being a high-speed model, you would find the gear ratio to be just about 4.8:1--Possibly a plus, depending on what sort of fishing you do.

My first reels were hand-me-down Mitchells. They caught fish and made many great memories; that is why I still fish them even today..:)

fishhawk

Hi Fred!
Do you have any more spools like this?
Mark

foakes

I might have a couple of these -- plus about 700 other assorted Mitchell spools.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.