Anti-reverse spring location-Jarvis Walker Devil 450 spinner

Started by billysarah, June 19, 2013, 12:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billysarah

Hey everyone

I've been referred here from Mike's Reels in the hope someone can help me.

I had to take apart my Jarvis Walker Devil 450 spinner to get a whole heap of sand out and during reassembly the anti-reverse cam spring "sprung" off and I have no idea where it came from. Online schematic = zero use. HELP!!!! Hours of my life wasted  :(

(sorry couldn't get a photo uploaded)

Thanks!
Sarah

redsetta

Hi Sarah and welcome aboard.
Schematic below for the 350 (which is essentially identical):

Are you referring to part #20 or #30?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

billysarah

Hey Justin!

Thanks for the quick response   :)  It's part #30.  I found this schematic online but it doesn't show me where the spring actually goes in the assembly.....what I really need is someone to send me a pic of a similar reel with the spring in-situ so I can relocate it.  Or at least a detailed description of where it goes.

Cheers,
Sarah

redsetta

Hi Sarah,
While taken from a different reel rebuild, the images are of a similar system and may be of some assistance.
The spring should pinch together and slide in between the reel body and the A/R lever:

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin

billysarah

OK I think I've managed to get the V shaped spring back where it's meant to go behind the AR lever (trial and error!) but now I don't think #20 is in the right place as the anti-reverse still doesn't engage - the dog(?) isn't under any tension

Again - I can't figure out how to post a photo here to show you what I mean   :-\

redsetta

Hi Sarah,
I haven't seen this particular reel, but it looks like a familiar system.
The wire spring (ie #20) should slip onto part #21 (orientated as shown on the schematic).
The little kink should then hook onto or press against the dog and pull/push it outwards when the rotor moves anti-clockwise.
Hope that helps - once again, let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
PS Photos can be posted via sites like Photobucket, but there's probably a whole tutorial in that process too ;) ;D

billysarah

Finally!! here's a photo for you:

I'm pretty sure the little kink/loop was hooked over the pin on top of the dog like this but it's not placing any tension at all on the dog when AR is off so it doesn't get pushed out against the housing.  I tried hooking it over the black post behind the dog screw (apologies for all the incorrect terminology!! :-[) which did indeed push the dog out but it was then putting too much pressure on it so that it was causing a ratchet effect even when the AR was switched off

I'm soooo close now I can feel it!!!!  Really appreciate all your help so far   ;D

redsetta

Nice work - it appears to all be spot on.
Two things to check are, firstly, the tension of the spring around the collar (if it's loose, it won't flick the a/r dog out when the rotor turns back) and, secondly, the orientation of the spring (ie try flipping it over).
Good luck, Justin

billysarah

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Result!!  I bent the little loop in the spring round a bit more so it applied some tension to the dog and bingo - it works!!

Thank you so much!!  I'm now off the hook (pardon the pun) - it's my sister-in-law's reel which I took apart and was feeling a bit embarrassed to have 'broken' it.

Justin - you're a legend

Cheers, Sarah

redsetta

alantani

very informative.  may i move this over to the spinner section?   i will sticky it as well. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Tile

The same antireverse concept is found in almost all economy class spinners  because is cheap to design and manufacture.
In solid fiberglass we trust