BaitRunner 3500 service guy ?

Started by Rancanfish, April 23, 2016, 02:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Any member in the SF bay area have the experience to do a cleaning on my two original 3500's?

I just want them cleaned and lubed. (Baitrunner, ugh).  They both work like new but have never been opened.  I really want to make sure the rear baitrunner drags are smooth,  and the original grease is replaced. It's probably in dry chunks by now.

I will upgrade the main drags myself, because that's the easy stuff.

Thanks, Ran
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Randy if I can do it anyone can.  Just open it and clean it.  The last part (baitrunner section) does not have to be taken apart.  Just soak it and lube.  Don't let it scare you.  Also if you search for a tutorial you should be able visualize the guts before you take it apart.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Thanks for responding Dom.  I did just that.

I had an old 250 that didn't click when I adjusted the baitrunner knob, so I tore it down to see what was up.  It had actually flipped up the brass clicker out of touch.  I pushed it back into position and tightened the hold down screw.  After that I opened and cleaned my other 250, then moved on to the 3500's.

I was under the mistaken impression I may have to pull the shaft out of them.  But not one of them was in bad shape.  The felt washers were actually so clean I just put them back in.  Spent a couple hours and voila! 

Best fishing experience ever was fishing these in a low thick fog with live minnows.  I'd hear a splash and then a couple seconds later the baitrunner would start feeding out line!  Striper on...
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.