TLD 25, no free spool

Started by Drippin Wett, April 27, 2016, 11:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drippin Wett

Hey guys,
First; thanks to all on here, and to Mr. Alan for giving us this wealth of knowledge.

I have a problem. I recently purchased new carbontex drags, alantani handles, and also got the shims and new Bellevilles from mr. Alan.
I have 4 TLD' that I serviced and upgraded. All 4 of them are the "Malaysia" reels. :(   They all looked great when I tore them down, all the bearings are open bearings and had plenty of grease on them. 3 of the reels work absolutely perfect. I have them set at 13 lbs at strike giving me 18-20 lbs at full drag. 1 reel goes straight from freespool to almost full drag. Then I have to pretty much unscrew the drag set completely to get it to freespool again.
What did I do wrong? Please help!
Thanks, Jason.

Bryan Young

Try to pull the drag cam in the lever out and rotate it 180 degrees and install it in free spool position then install the preset knob.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Drippin Wett

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

SoCalAngler

What Bryan said sounds like the issue, the lever not being fully in freespool then the drag knob went on. If that does not fix the problem make sure the belleville washers are installed correctly.

Drippin Wett

Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the Bellevilles out and sure enough, I had them wrong. Again thanks so much! For all of the help. Reading from the forum and ordering from Mr. Alan, you just can't beat it!