Calcutta 50 Size Okuma

Started by Keta, April 28, 2016, 02:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

A friend told me he was looking for a small levelwind for kokanee fishing and likes the size of my Calcutta 50.  He said he thought Okuma made one about the same size, do they and what is it?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

I don't know if the size is the same but okuma cedros round reel 250 looks like a Calcutta

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

Don't know, but I'll chime in with the Penn Levelmatic 920.  And it has a clicker.

A Calcutta 50 is a sweet reel though.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

oc1

The Calcutta 50 holds less than 90 yds of 10# mono or 30# braid.  They don't make the Calcutta 50 any more and I'd buy one if I saw it for sale at a reasonable price because they're collectable and becoming expensive.  I think all the Okumas and other low-profile baitcasting reels are larger with about 160 yds of 10# mono or 30# braid.  The Curado 50e and Curado 70 is presently the closest thing to a Calcutta 50 in size with a little more than 100 yards of 10#mono/30#braid.  But, Curado is low profile instead of a round reel.  The round Calcutta 100 has about the same diameter and feel as Calcutta 50 but the spool is a little wider, deeper and holds half again as much line.  The big advantage of the small line capacity is lighter spool weight to cast lighter lures farther.  
-steve

philaroman

miniaturization is not really Okuma's forte w/ casting reels; I think 250 is their smallest size for round baitcasters -- more like Calc200.  do you really need the added strength of a round baitcaster for kokanee?  why wouldn't he just get a low-profile and have a plethora of choices?  if he wants more line capacity, the original VSystem 200/200a came with a free spare/alternate deep solid spool -- that's what I like about mine, along w/ $70 eBay price (it ain't worth $200 MSRP):

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1cj0rIXXXXXbsXpXXq6xXFXXX8/Free-DHL-or-EMS-Okuma-V-200a-Baitcasting-Fishing-Reel-9BB-1RB-6-2-1-Right.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/t~8AAOSwMmBVrg1I/s-l300.jpg

...just call Okuma & ask which later model uses the same spool

Keta

Quote from: oc1 on April 28, 2016, 07:17:32 AM
The Calcutta 50 holds less than 90 yds of 10# mono or 30# braid.  They don't make the Calcutta 50 any more and I'd buy one if I saw it for sale at a reasonable price because they're collectable and becoming expensive.  

I fish 2 Calcutta 51's and 2 Curado 51s for drift fishing small river steelhead and kokanee trolling.  I have been close to spooled one time by a large steelhead, a bit over 20#.  These tiny reels are the only ones I spool with Spectra under 40#, they are filled with 20#.

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 28, 2016, 04:35:25 AM
Don't know, but I'll chime in with the Penn Levelmatic 920.  And it has a clicker.

The 6"-18" kokanee never pull line, and often do not pull the line out of the downrigger clip, but a clicker would be nice when trolling.

Quote from: philaroman on April 28, 2016, 08:07:58 AM
do you really need the added strength of a round baitcaster for kokanee?  why wouldn't he just get a low-profile and have a plethora of choices?  

I use my Calcutta 51's for much larger fish too, landed a chrome bright fresh 20+ pound steelhead with one of mine.  The friend I'm looking for a reel for has no "good" gear, I think his current trolling set up cost less than $75.00 and is a spinning rig.  A low profile reel the size of a Curado 50 would work too but he is unwilling to pay the price.  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

I believe the Cardiff 50 was the lower price point of the Calcutta; I found three for my brother and the capacity is the same.

oc1

Smaller is more expensive now.  I'm very happy with a new Curado 70 (it's a 50 size) for casting but they're two hundred dollars.  For trolling on a budget I would get one of the many 100 size reels.  Prices start at just over a hundred and you have a choice of low profile or round. It is hard to tell one size from the other by looking as most of the difference is in the spool depth and pinion support.
-steve

philaroman

if your friend likes Okuma & cranks R/H, this looks pretty damn good for under $80 (55% OFF; already has the carbon drag):

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Serrano-Profile-Baitcasting-Reel/dp/B002P4OI2K

http://tackletour.com/reviewokumaserrano.html

for trolling, he'd want the deep-spool SR200 over the ported SR200W...  not sure which one they are selling -- SR200 in the photo / SR200W specs. in the description

looks like Okuma fixed all the issues that my V-System has, albeit they're letting you choose the spool type rather than giving you both...  if they offered a lefty, I might bite, myself LOL

Tiddlerbasher

If 'cheap' is a prime requirement I would consider some of the Okuma round bait casters.
Like the Induron, Halogen and Nitryx. You can still find them as new old stock for not very much.
I hsve several of these I use for lure fishing - fresh and in the salt. All I do is service them swap out the drags for CF.
The 400 sized Nitryx has hauled in catfish to over 50lbs!

Modified Nitryx 400

Halogen 250

Induron

There is usually one or more NOS on fleabay.
Easy to service, common size bearings, cheap as chips :)

Keta

Size is more important than price, I was going to give it to him as a gift.  I owe him several dozen hours of machinist time and he will never take $.

Mark Twain

oc1

Shimano Calcutta B CT100B.
http://www.tackledirect.com/ct100b.html
A solid versatile reel.  Probably looks and feels very similar to your 51.

Here's a pitcher of an old Calcutta 100 but the new ones are about the same size.  You can compare it to your Calcutta 51.

I think the size stalls out about here because if they are any smaller someone with big thumbs would not be able to use them.
-steve

jackpine

I'm currently looking for a Calcutta 50. Would use it on a Kokanee rod fishing for smallmouth.

I see them used on epray from Japan but????

Any for sale let me know.

oc1

Watch for a while and you'll see them listed by U.S. based sellers too.  I've been burned by both Japanese and Americans on them.  Now that they're sorted out, I would never sell mine and wouldn't buy less than two.  You'll need parts and about every other one will have a worn out thumb bar.  They're neat little reels though.
-steve

jackpine

Thanks oc1. I can't believe it, I posted looking for 1 on a fishing site and got bit already.