Surf casting reel recommendation

Started by bgreen, May 03, 2016, 09:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgreen

Hi my adult son is getting more into surf casting and after purchasing a cheap no brand reel is looking at a first upgrade. Budget for the reel is only about $80 to $100. Would be interested in people's thoughts and recommendations.  Thanks in advance.

cbar45

Hello,

To narrow down your options:

1. When you say "surf casting" I assume you are referring to a conventional reel?

2. Majority of the time, will he be throwing lures or chunking bait via sand-spike?

Marcq

If it's conventional I would go for an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 or a 7000

Here's my 6500 with a CT cage and adjustable mag

They are light and cast great

Marc..

Aiala

If considering a spinner, a well-preserved Penn 750SS (readily available on fleaBay) is hard to beat.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rancanfish

You read my mind Aiala.

I have been using my spinners a lot for stripers, and set one up for Perch on the beach.

If he's looking for sharks, well.......
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sdlehr

Quote from: Aiala on May 03, 2016, 01:57:39 PM
If considering a spinner, a well-preserved Penn 750SS (readily available on fleaBay) is hard to beat.  ;)

~A~
or 7500SS; same reel, or even 850ss or 8500ss for that matter.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bgreen

Hi all sorry should have specified he is used to using a spinner....not catching anything too large .... Snapper and kawhai. And throwing chunks of bait....and resting in a sand spike.  I can get a Penn Spinfisher 750 SSM for $109 NZ, is that the same model and suitable?
I live in New Zealand so postage is also a bit of a consideration....thanks again for your time

cbar45

Quote from: bgreen on May 04, 2016, 06:22:31 AM
Hi all sorry should have specified he is used to using a spinner....not catching anything too large .... Snapper and kawhai. And throwing chunks of bait....and resting in a sand spike.  I can get a Penn Spinfisher 750 SSM for $109 NZ, is that the same model and suitable?
I live in New Zealand so postage is also a bit of a consideration....thanks again for your time

The Spinfisher SSM isn't the same reel as the older SS series--the gears in particular got downgraded on SSM's, but the SS is a good reel if you can find it.

Another option I'd recommend is a Fin-Nor Biscayne in the larger 60, 70, and 80 sizes.

Its U.S. counterpart--the Sportfisher--was recently discontinued, but I believe Biscaynes are still available in the Australian and NZ market.

Rock-solid reel with a full aluminum body/rotor, two bearings on the main-gear, two on the pinion, a ball-bearing line roller, and greased CF drags.

My Sportfishers are going on 5+ years now with no complaints. I use them for light surf/cliff fishing here in Hawaii.

Just check that the side plate is tightened adequately and it's good to go.

Some examples, but I'm sure you can do better than me at sourcing the reel for sale locally:

http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=fin-nor_biscayne_fbs80_6323

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fin-nor-reels/fin-nor-biscayne-fbs-80-spinning-reel

Chad

bgreen

Thanks Chad... Thought it seemed too good to be true.... There is also the penn  ssv model more expensive....around $180 here how would that compare to the fin noir option you mentioned....cheers

cbar45

The SSV has more options besides regular models--Live-liner and Long-cast versions for example.

SSV also has the superior drag, (though the Fin-Nor's is no slouch), plus additional features like water-resistant seals and a backup anti-reverse on larger models.

Both reels have similar aluminum-alloy gearing as well as bearing count and placement.

Fin-Nor leans more towards being a simple--yet durable--reel, while Penn is the same with some added refinements.

Both are more than capable enough to do the job you described, and do it well, imho.

bgreen

Thanks again Chad good to know they are both good option...cheers Bruce

mikeysm

Here is my surf reel a Daiwa 7ht st that has been upgraded. All stainless gears ceramic bearing QTC frame and side plate and carbon drag washers.

handi2

I've worked on one of Penn's Surfcast SSV spinning reels. They are built solid!! It uses a SS worm gear to slow the oscillating down to a crawl. The line lays on the spool perfectly.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

bgreen