Fin nor 12-20 Light drag system.

Started by TheReelShop, May 03, 2016, 10:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

So these reels come with cork drags as it has been mentioned before by Alan. I did notice on one thread, Alan had glued the new carbon drag straight to the spool and it led to the clicker not fully functioning due to the lateral spacing issue. I also noticed others and Alan on other fin nor reels glue two HT-100 drag washers together to accommodate for the space.

So because I could not afford that expensive loctite, I decided to use the same shimano TLD 20/30 carbon washer and a custom made washer to accommodate for the spacing.

Here is the reel

REMOVING THE PRESET KNOB AND DRAG LEVER

REMOVING THE QUADRANT RING AND RIGHT SIDE PLATE

THANKS TO LEE (KETA) ON HERE, HE WAS ABLE TO MAKE THE CUSTOM WASHER FOR ME. IN ORDER TO MAKE THE CUSTOM WASHER I USED THE DIMENSIONS OF THE "PRESSURE PLATE"

HERE IS THE THICKNESS OF THE CORK WASHER. THIS MEASUREMENT CAN BE CONSIDERED VARIABLE SINCE IT CAN BE SQUEEZED SO I TRIED TO MEASURE IT AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE TRYING TO AVOID AND SQUEEZING.

THE DIFFERENCE OF THE TLD 20/30 CARBON DRAG FROM THE CORK WAS THE THICKNESS I NEEDED ON THE CUSTOM WASHER..

AND THE WASHER THAT KETA MADE ME

TEST FITTING

FIRST I EPOXIED THE DRAG WASHER TO THE CUSTOM WASHER, AND THEN THE WHOLE DRAG SYSTEM TO THE SPOOL

HERE IS A SHORT CLIP OF THE REEL ASSEMBLED. WITH THE PRESET ALL THE WAY OFF, I GET 30 SECONDS OF FREESPOOL. NOW TOMORROW I HAVE TO CHECK THE TIMES AND DRAGS PRODUCED WITH THE NEW DRAG. I ALSO CHANGED OUT THE DISC SPRINGS.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Thank you for posting this, can't wait to hear about the big fish it lands!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

Came out really nice. I can't believe how nasty that old drag was.

Alto Mare

Nice job Red!
I squeezed in a part from Penn in one of those :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Thanks guys. As soon as I get a chance I will post results.. What penn part did you squeeze Alto Mare 😁

Alto Mare

Quote from: red93crxhatch on May 04, 2016, 03:07:59 AM
Thanks guys. As soon as I get a chance I will post results.. What penn part did you squeeze Alto Mare 😁
Somewhere in here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7315.0

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 04, 2016, 10:32:49 AM
Somewhere in here:

Sal

That's badass it came with the backing practically.. I think Penn has "parts" for every reel 😎.  The regal has a smaller OD or is that the same as my 12-20?

TheReelShop

I was able to test the reel out today. the line on it was 20lb mono.

My max drag before losing free spool was 15lbs.
At full I got 22lbs. (this fishing line is old but it did darn good)
literally like 1-2 seconds of free spool.

At 8lbs I got 9 seconds of free spool.

Then I took the reel apart and everything is intact. I guess I can say its a success. Now I'm going to fish it and see how it truly performs.

Now here is how I checked my drag.

I strapped the rod/reel to a backstop I made. (haha I can test two setups at a time and the kids can practices their sports with the back stop)

I did my preset adjustments etc. then I used a loop knot and scale and I would do a smooth but forceful pull to get my readings. Is this how most of you guys do it?

heres some pictures of the presentation.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 04, 2016, 10:32:49 AM
Somewhere in here:

Sal

"
the old washer was about 3mm thick. I was going to use (3) 1mm carbon washers, but wasn't crazy about that much epoxy, so I decided to shape one of the older 9500ss spinner's washer."
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

TheReelShop

I think since I had asked you what the OD was on the washer you used for the regal. The OD on the 12-20 was 2.5". On your tutorial, it does not look like its that big. If it is i'll be damned.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 05, 2016, 12:26:06 AM
What are you saying John? ???
Sal

Just pulled the quote from the other thread to provide info here.
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

Just pulled the quote from the other thread to provide info here.
[/quote]
Got it! Thanks John!
Quote from: red93crxhatch on May 05, 2016, 12:52:42 AM
I think since I had asked you what the OD was on the washer you used for the regal. The OD on the 12-20 was 2.5". On your tutorial, it does not look like its that big. If it is i'll be damned.
I don't own that reel anymore, one of the members here purchased it from me.
The OD on that washer was 2". I'm surprised yours is 2.5", I thought those were the same.

Sal

TheReelShop

Honestly I would of never known since its the first fin nor I work on. first one i work on and already I chose to dive in..