Junk rod rebuild

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 02, 2022, 03:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

This rod started out life as a Shakespeare white tiger combo, the rod being a 2pc 7' 8-15# line rating. Not worth the effort by most accounts, my own included. But this one has sentimental value to its owner, who wanted a full refresh with all fuji hardware. The hardware cost more than the rod did initially, but no big deal. This rod was also the loaner i was using on my first day fishing again as an adult 5 years ago. So in a way this i have some sentimental value for this rod too: it played a role in leading me down the rabbit hole that led to this forum, which is why I agreed.

I went with all black fuji guides and tip, and a black hooded fuji size 18 reel seat. I went with a double foot bottom guide, because the original rod had a double foot bottom guide, and i generally find that a good idea to protect it from the railing on the catwalk at Sebastian inlet where this rod will likely be used.

Even though the "white tiger" label has been removed, it strongly influenced the direction of decoration. My friend insisted on the striped EVA grip. I strongly disagreed at the time, but it's grown on me for this application. I used black n white pro wrap tiger thread for the guides, and used it again side by side with silver metallic for the decoration. After seeing it turn basically all black on the guides, I finally broke down and got some color preserver and used it on the decoration. I think I'll dilute it if I ever use it again, I think somewhere between the two results would be most ideal.

Last pic is the stripper guide before epoxy. I thought this was gonna look epic. Still came out cool, but fell short of expectations.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

kjdunne

Jason, I think it looks great!  Some of the "junk rods" turn out to be real workhorses.  I have a Shakes Sturdy Stik conventional that won't quit.  Thinking of rebuilding it when I have time...

Kal

Bill B

Good job.  I'm sure it will get a workout.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

happyhooker

Looks like a good 'un.  I dunno about "junk rod".  I have rebuilt any number of inexpensive or broken rods, and while the end result has not always met my complete satisfaction, almost all these rods have been fishable.  If you start with a sound blank, or one that has been properly repaired, you can have good results regardless of the past history of the rod.

Frank

Brewcrafter

Yeah, I don't know if I would call that a "junk rod" that looks pretty clean.  We have high standards here on the forum, but realistically there are youth groups out there that would take "practice blanks" and be happy.  And you never know if some kid gets a rod that it might grow into something bigger for them.  I haven't met the 5 year old yet that is worried about "rod Spline" "acid wrap" or "Slow Pitch" - john

steelfish

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 08, 2022, 05:04:40 AM.....I haven't met the 5 year old yet that is worried about "rod Spline" "acid wrap" or "Slow Pitch" - john

heck buddy, 90% of weekend warriors dont know what is a spline, spine, laugh about acid wrap, etc

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 08, 2022, 05:04:40 AM.  We have high standards here on the forum,

the QC bar in the forum is set pretty high here, even the best factory components are not enough that guys started to made their owns parts to make the rod/reel better  :fish
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Now let's be clear, I wasn't saying the end result was junk, even though some experiments didn't go as planned. I'm pretty happy with the end result. And you guys know I'm no stranger to rebuilding budget rods that some of you wouldn't think is worth the effort. But the common factor in all of those was that I liked the action, and saw potential for great performance with better hardware.

That wasnt the case here. I don't think there's any more corners they could have cut to bring down costs. If it didn't start out as a junk rod I'm not sure what did.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.