Need help picking a rod

Started by AlasKen, March 17, 2021, 05:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I am trying to decide on a rod for my 113H.  May not be a tank but close.  Tiburon frame, Cortez Custom sides, double dog SS bridge, SS gears, Alan's SS blade and power handle.  I need to decide on rod.  This will be a private boat rod in Alaska waters.  Mostly halibut.  Probably less than 100 lbs as target.  Trying to get away from pool cue rods.  Any ideas?

thorhammer

With that rig- have you thought about building one? It's an heirloom piece and worthy of a UC Raptor, Seeker or Calstar build. If not maybe a finished rod from one of these guys. They can get pricey but that's where you get lightweight durable action vs. pool cue. You didn't say whether you wanted rollers, or acid wrap, etc. and what line, but i assume 80 braid and topshot on that reel? Mainly because that's what my builds have on them for bottom reason, no other intuition lol.

AlasKen

Quote from: thorhammer on March 17, 2021, 12:56:07 PM
With that rig- have you thought about building one? It's an heirloom piece and worthy of a UC Raptor, Seeker or Calstar build. If not maybe a finished rod from one of these guys. They can get pricey but that's where you get lightweight durable action vs. pool cue. You didn't say whether you wanted rollers, or acid wrap, etc. and what line, but i assume 80 braid and topshot on that reel? Mainly because that's what my builds have on them for bottom reason, no other intuition lol.

You are correct as to line.  I am not set up for building at this time.  I will probably need finished rod although I have thought of building some day.  Thanks for ideas.  I do have one seeker I like.

pjstevko

Budget.... Okuma PCH 741XXXH

No budget.... UC Raptor or Viper

Gfish

I have almost the same reel/upgrades. Not "The Tank", but pretty much a tank. Been using cheapo rods; a Hurricane, Shakes. Ugly Stick and a Skakes. Big Water. I have one lighter reef rod from Alex Baja Custom Rods and have noticed that I'm abnormally cautious with it, definitely an heirloom rod. The others I don't worry about when I beat on 'em and it wouldn't bother me if I wrecked 'em.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

The Okuma Cedros jig rods are decent and a good price. I have several as do a few guys I know. Will you want to pull 40 lbs pf drag with one .................... no, but for what most guys do its more than good and they have a nice action. The extra heavy is good for 16 oz jigs. They rate the rods with jig weight , it seems close. I caught a 100 lb plus butt on my heavy and it was good.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on March 17, 2021, 05:55:36 PM.. I have one lighter reef rod from Alex Baja Custom Rods and have noticed that I'm abnormally cautious with it, definitely an heirloom rod. ..

haha, never saw this post on its time, well what can I say, Im the same with my own rods but I need (I have to) to change that.
The Baja Guy

gstours

Ken, if you can find a Penn rampage 5.5 ft heavy it's my first recommendation.
  Less than a hundred bucks.  Very good for the price.
  Okuma cedros in medium heavy or heavy is next best value for a store bought in less than 140$.  Just saying.   :fish