Looking for new reels

Started by LeperKuN, May 05, 2016, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: LeperKuN on May 06, 2016, 06:17:16 AM
I'm going with the 2 speed fathom 25n for myself.  ;D

I forgot to mention I already have one Abu Garcia ambassadeur alphamar 20, it's levelwind.

Good reel with similar internals to the Penn Fathom.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

One thing seems important to me(only?), make sure the upper grip on rod is comfortable and especially so when you're using your thumb as your line guide on retrieves and holding the upper grip w/ only 4 fingers. Got the ugly stick- tiger model and it fit my big hand well, w/ my non- levelwind reel. Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mley1

Quote from: LeperKuN on May 06, 2016, 06:17:16 AM
I'm going with the 2 speed fathom 25n for myself.  ;D

I forgot to mention I already have one Abu Garcia ambassadeur alphamar 20, it's levelwind. I'm going to give that one to the kid.

Now to find a reel for my girlfriend. Maybe a reel for 1/2 or 3/4 day trips. No levelwind but narrow. I saw Okuma Solterra reels are cheap and narrow with nice drag. Are they good for bottom fishing for 1/2 and 3/4 day trips? Reliable? Etc

I fish with a friend who uses several Okuma Solterra reels. His are lever drag. He uses them for bull reds, Sharks, Kings, large stingrays, or any other saltwater fish he can catch. He's been using his for the past 4 summers. We've not had any trouble with them at all. They have carbon drags, and stainless gears. While they have carbon frames, they have stainless support plates. We've caught a bunch of fish with them. So far they've done well for him with simple wash downs,cleaning and maintenance.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

Regarding the Okuma Solerra reels, when I fish with my buddy we always go for a week or so, at least 4 days each trip. During those trips the rods and reels spend the days and some nights riding in the boat, fishing, and exposed to salt air and water splash. When we get to the hotel each day the rods and reels are placed in a corner of the room, to wait for the next run out. Sometimes we'll wipe them down,sometimes not. They get washed and wiped down when he gets home at the end of the trip. So, yes, I'd say they'll do fine on 1/2 or 3/4 day trips. They have never given us any trouble at all.

We use them for bottom fishing and live bait fishing, also with balloons or kites. They don't cast far, and probably wouldn't work well for jigging.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

otghoyt

I am not in such different circumstances than you.  Being disabled, I have to be just as thrifty as you.  And I have sons as well.  I am over in Oceanside and the first thirty pound Albacore Tuna I ever caught was the lat time I thought about a 3 pound Rainbow Trout or 5 pound Largemouth Bass.  

A few years ago I was trolling Caraigslist and found a couple old salts that did a once a month yard sale of fishing equipment.  I bought quite bit of equipment from them over a few years.  I built up a rod and reel from this source and set it up for my oldest son. Turns out this is my favorite, go to, rig.  I did upgrade it over time but it was fishable for less that one hundred bucks.

I got an old 146 Squidder for 40 bucks.  I mention this because it is a narrow reel and sits low on the rod.  It is a conventional reel but it is much easier to manipulate than a 500 and I have several 500 variants.  Because of my monetary situation I need to have really versatile fishing equipment.  I can't buy ten rigs for me and my boys and pay for day boat outings too. The Squidder  and the 500 Jigmaster family are take apart reels.  You can change out a spool with different weight line in fifteen seconds.  It takes another 2 minutes to run it through the guides and tie on a hook.  There isn't a more versatile reel out there for any kind of money!

I also bought an old Cal Star rod for another forty bucks. It was one of famous "Whopper Stoppers" from back in the day.  The rod needed a new tip/guide and some shrink wrap flocking for the toasted cork butt.  The reel needing a good cleaning and grease job and both were fishable from that point.  Now there's guys here that will be groaning when I tell you that we fish it with 20,30 and after serious modifications, 40 pound line.  I bought a trigger clamp to assist my son with his casting.  I can tell you that it really helps.  I like this rig a lot!  It really isn't meant for 40 pound fishing but if the bite is hot and fast the rig can do the job.  This rod and reel NEVER stays home when I/we go fishing.  I am going fishing tomorrow out of Point Loma.  I am taking 2 rigs and 3 extra spools with different line.  The Squidder with 20# and a extra 30# spool.  A 505 Jigmaster with 30# line and extra spools of 40 and 50# line.  I'll be doing a write-up with pictures on this site.

There are plenty of upgrades done to this rig to get it to that point but the information here is... deals are out there.  Sad but true, somebody for some reason, needs to sell their gear every single day.  One of the two "Old Salts" I bought a lot of my gear from passed on and his buddy sold everything to one buyer.  Somebody made a score there.  It happens every day. Simply be diligent and have the money set aside.  Do your homework and be patient.  Pawn shops advertise fishing gear on Craigslist all the time and they will deal.  Mostly, they can't give it away, especially if it's older gear.

There it is.  Down and dirty.  Simply how one guy did it.  New gear is grand (don't own any) but old survivors are better in my book!  Best of luck!

day0ne

I've thumbed line for so long, it's automatic. In fact, I can't not do it and it gets weird when I ever use a levelwind reel (almost never). My finger is never in sync with the levelwind.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter