sealine 50h

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coores14

i'm gonna keep y'all in suspense now.  ;D

I was really hoping someone would say "yeah, just order the drag set for the 50 from Dawn" rather than cobble together the various Penn sizes. Oh well.

Lemme go find my calipers. And take apart the reel....

Hamachi

I did a little sleuthing of my own. Different part numbers for the same item.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Hamachi

Quote from: coores14 on October 30, 2016, 10:36:17 PM
i'm gonna keep y'all in suspense now.  ;D

I was really hoping someone would say "yeah, just order the drag set for the 50 from Dawn" rather than cobble together the various Penn sizes. Oh well.

Well, if you'd rather pay 20 something just order the 50h set, rather than $5 for the cobbled together one.

Dude! All this and you haven't even cracked the reel open yet?!?! Do you realize how much knowledge you've assembled here on your problem? Get on it dude! We're on the clock!

coores14

Quote from: Hamachi on October 30, 2016, 10:47:58 PM
Quote from: coores14 on October 30, 2016, 10:36:17 PM
i'm gonna keep y'all in suspense now.  ;D

Well, if you'd rather pay 20 something just order the 50h set, rather than $5 for the cobbled together one.

Dude! All this and you haven't even cracked the reel open yet?!?! Do you realize how much knowledge you assembled here on your problem? Get on it dude! We're on the clock!

it's one of 5 reels from two different customers on my workbench right now. I know for a fact I'm going to replace the drags on the sealine. Was hoping I could get a quick answer and order them now so they'll be here by the time I actually get to that reel. That way I can crack open a different reel and start on that while I wait for the drags for the sealine. I don't like having numerous reels torn apart at once as my work area is small and gets awfully congested. I do have a method to my madness. Sort of.

And those 5$ drags will double, at least, in price when PennParts adds in their shipping costs. It's usually about 40$ for a 29 cent sideplate screw or something equally as absurd.

Hamachi

This is just wrong on so many levels, where do I start? First of all, all the information you needed was already contained in this section if you just researched. Second, this is a stickier post so we're clogging it up with excess verbiage. Third, you say you're a pro, so you're being paid and using our free knowledge for your personal gain. Fourth, you're taking a clients $20 dollar reel and charging what, $60 to repair it? Plus, they make paper plates and freezer baggies to hold taken down reels waiting for parts. It's already been two days since first inquired about this, how long is it going to take? It's different if a newbie inquires about something but this guy should know better. All I'm saying is put in a little research effort first before asking a question, put in the appropriate section and members look at the effort the person asking the question put into the problem before putting time and effort in answering.
                   Warren

coores14

thanks for your input Warren.

As I mentioned in my original inquiry, I had already searched around on this site using the provided search engine and saw one person mention that the 250 uses the same drag sizes. It was one person, however, with no corroboration, and I was hoping it would take one quick question for someone else to confirm it. I could then order the drags and I'd be done with it. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

I also saw nowhere else online that definitively said "these drags are for the 250h". So, as I've done many times over the years, I came to this site to ask those who might have direct experience. Isn't that what this site is for? To help each other? Sure, I could've taken the reel apart right away in order to satisfy you, but I was trying to plan ahead as I was finishing up other reels. Call it whatever you want, but I honestly didn't think it was any reason for someone to get so ruffled.

This thread is a long thread, been around for a while, with recent posts going back to just August about various topics, some regarding the drag stack of a Daiwa Sealine 50. Since my initial question somewhat involved the 50, and the varied discussions on this thread, going back to 2008, involved the 50, and I'm pretty sure that I did see the Daiwa 250 mentioned, I saw no reason to create an entirely new thread when the answer could perhaps have been provided here as an addition to the plethora of info that has been discussed. I'm asking about a Daiwa reel, in the Daiwa section, in an ongoing thread somewhat related to the reel that I'm inquiring about. Being a sticky only made it seem more appropriate to finally have it definitively written somewhere, easy for all to locate, for someone else who might eventually search for similar info. Considering the thread hasn't been locked since its inception 8 years ago and the most recent post was only two months ago, I can't see how trying to get and ideally Add info is "excess verbiage". Yes, with your little rant, I would deem it excessive now.

I never said I'm a pro. Yes, I take care of fixing and servicing reels for my various friends throughout the keys. In a sense, they are "customers". You have no idea what I charge them, if anything, nor should it matter. 60 bucks?! That's rape, in my opinion, for helping out my fellow friends and fishermen. So, You're attempting to say that nobody else on this site accepts any sort of payment for fixing reels for anyone? I find that hard to believe. Yet they're on here more frequently than I am asking for and providing "free" advice to fellow reel people. Again, that's the entire point of this site and it's something I've done numerous times over the years.

Yep, it's been two days since I inquired. Who are you to assume what sort of schedule I have and how that can allow me to work on the various reels? As mentioned, I thought it would be a quick answer. I could then have ordered the drags on Friday and forget about it, knowing the schedule that I had ahead of me for this weekend.

Yep, they make paper plates and ziploc bags. I'm well aware of that. I choose to currently not use those as I try to have only one reel apart at any given time, as I sort of explained earlier. I rarely have this many reels in front of me and I often go months without working on any. You know, because I'm not a "pro". Don't like the way I do it? I don't care.

If you have such a problem offering advice or info on a website predicated upon the very idea of providing a resource for like-minded folk to share info, then perhaps you're missing the point of this place.

For the record, the Sealine SL250h drags measure as such --
  Main drag washer size -- 24mm ODx14.15mm IDx1.35mm thick
  Washer under main gear -- 19.63mm ODx12.08mm IDx.45mm thick

I hope this helps anyone and everyone who might desire this info in the future. And for those on here who don't have a problem helping someone, even if they might be taking the "lazy" way out, you all are what make sites like this a pleasure to be a member of and are what Alan hoped for when creating it. Thank you.

Rancanfish

Well said. 

I have to admit some times I get bugged by some goings on, but in those cases I just stay out of the thread.  This is Alan's site after all. 

But Hamachi's a good guy from what I've seen so I'm sure he wasn't harshing on you for real.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Porthos

Geez Warren, did West Covina run out of sake or Delrin sheets for your undergear washers? Maybe the sake IS the problem...if so, push the bottle away and step back from the keyboard.  :D

Actually, I'm thinking of bringing a bottle of Nigorizake on the 2017 SOA for a change. We can drink that on the ride out and in, and you can vent all you want about SL250H drag washers and what not to the Pacific Ocean...she's a good listener.

Hamachi

Yeah, I may have overreacted just a tad bit. My apologies to all the members here on Alan's family site for making such a hostile statement. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is as passionate about this as we are. I need to be more tolerant and try to see the good in all people.

Warren

Shark Hunter

You are a good Man Warren. ;)
Life is Good!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 01, 2016, 12:11:38 AM
You are a good Man Warren. ;)

Great threads should NEVER die . . .  Merry Christmas !

ReelFishingProblems

I love my Sealine 50H! Merry Christmas! Maybe 2018 can bring some creativity to the Daiwa line
Nick

handi2

I just finished the 50H and ended up with 22lbs of drag off the top of the spool.

I used Carbontex drag washers that are 1.10mm thick. The 3 in gear washers were 12mm x 24mm. The under gear Delrin washer is 12mm x 22mm. I tried a Carbontex washer of the same dimensions under the gear with less max drag.

To heighten the drag sleeve I used Penn part 4-340 bearing thrust washer. If you ever have a Penn 113H or similar reel that the sleeve is too short after assembly these 4-340 brass washers fit just right. A quick way to adjust the drag star height.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelFishingProblems

Will have to try the sleeve trick. Now if I could just get the Sealine tonlook as pretty as a custom 4/0

handi2

Just to make thing clear the drag washer dimensions I give above fit the gear sleeve and main gear tight. They are not the same size as the stock drag washers. I also used the stock metal drag washers.

The 4-340 washer will fit underneath or on top of the sleeve for adjustment. They fit the 113H sleeve better.

On the 3rd pull the max drag went up to 25lbs.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL