sealine 50h

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

these are great little 30# reels. to rebuild the old daiwa sealine 50h, you need four penn ht-100 drag washers.  one is part #6-855 from the old discontinued penn 855 line counter.  three are part #6-114, from the black side plate 6/0 penn 114.    i just now found this great place called mike's reel repair while i was looking for the schematic for this reel.  here's the link to the schematic.  thank you mike, wherever you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/schematic.php?url=Daiwa/Daiwa%20SL50H.pdf

here's a photo of a 50h from a good friend of mine.

the first thing i like to do with these is pull the left ring and grease it underneath, then grease all the screw holes.

the left ring goes back on, and the right side plate comes off.    three side plate screws is all you need. 

lube the left side plate bearing, put a little grease on the clicker and spring.  next to come off are the the handle lock screw (key #52), the handle screw (key #51), the handle (key #50), the handle washer (key #49), the star drag (key #48) and the drag spring washers (key #47).

back out the four set plate screws (key #35).  at this point, the reel goes "boing" and you're committed!

boing!  lube the right side plate bearing now. 

here's a shot of the jack assembly after it has been cleaned up, and the drag washer assembly prior to cleaning.  note all of the oil in the drag washers.  it was no wonder the drags were sticky. 

now i've cleaned everything up and switched out the stock drag washers for the penn ht-100 drag washers.  the drag washers are still dry at this point. 

the drag washers were then greased and set plate assembly was put back together. it's a basic three-stack similar to what you see in the jack erskine picture below.  thank you, mr. erskine!!!!!!!!!

the four set plate screws (key # 35) go back in.

place your left index and middle fingers over the four screws and flip the side plate over.  with your fingers covering and holding the screws in place, you can work with the side plate and not worry about the screws falling out.  same with the penns.

install the two clutch springs (key #26).

install the pinion yoke (key #25) and the pinion gear (key #21) as a unit.

install the eccentric jack (key #24). 

install the set plate/gear/drag washer assembly as a unit and rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise from it's final position. 

install the anti-reverse claw (key #33).

rotate the set plate assembly 90 degrees clockwise and push it down and in place.

tighten down the set plate screws.

install the anti-reverse claw spring (key #32).

install the all part key #'s 46 through 52 in order and you're done!  congratulations, it's miller time.  with this particular reel, i drilled out the old grip and installed one of my custom off-set tapered grips.  i spooled it up with 30# mono and got a max of 15#'s of drag at the top of the spool.  i backed off the drags, boxed it up and sat down to type this report.  elapsed time, 2 hours.   

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squirmypug

I just replaced the drag in my 50h and can only get 9lbs of drag any ideas why I can't get the 15lbs you can?I used the same washers that you did but could not get the washer for under the gear, there I used one of the plastic type washers found under alot of main gears.I don't think that would cause less drag but I'm not sure.The other thought I had is that maybe my reel is spooled with more line (I spooled it all the way up to the red lines on the spool). I also added a second fiber washer with the top washer to make the spacer sleeve stand higher so the star wouldn't bottom out and still only 9lbs of drag. Thanks for any ideas  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

send a pm with your address and request a #6-855 drag washer and i will send one out to you. 

Squirmypug

Just got home and found the washer in the mail.  ;D Will put it in the reel in just a min and check the drag. Thanks Alan!
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Squirmypug

Got it installed in less than 10 mins and checked it on the scale and was able to get 15lbs of drag.  :)

bb2fish

Are the HT-100 washers in your rebuild, the same thickness as the factory washers in the 50h?   The 3 old washers I have from my Sealine 50h are 0.06" thick each.

I bought some 6B-965 HT-100 washers for a Penn965, these have similar OD and ID, but they are only 0.04" thick.  Guess I'm reluctant to use three of these if they're not going to add up to the correct thickness for the Daiwa 50h.

I'm naive enough to ask if HT-100 is just the material name, or if HT-100 also is a specific size used in many different reels. 
Will the 6B-965 washer work in the Sealine 50h?

Barb

alantani

they are not the same thickness, but they are close enough.  early on, all we had were penn drag washers.  just had to hobble together something that would work. 

marc77

I rebuilt the drag on my Daiwa Sealine 350H reel, which is very similar to the 50H.

I used 4 Penn HT-100 (size 114) washers.  The first drag washer that goes inside the gear must be doubled. 

If you just use one washer there, the thickness of the Penn washer is not thick enough for it to clear the ridge in the center of the gear (around the hole).  This will cause the first keyed metal washer to touch that ridge and there will not be any drag produced by that first washer.  To compensate for this, I used 2 Penn washers together and that worked great.  The doubled Penn washers are only needed at the location which is in contact with the inside of the gear.  Single Penn washers are used thereafter.

I hope this helps.

Keta

Quote from: marc77 on January 14, 2013, 02:15:03 AM

I rebuilt the drag on my Daiwa Sealine 350H reel, which is very similar to the 50H.

I used 4 Penn HT-100 (size 114) washers.  The first drag washer that goes inside the gear must be doubled. 

If you just use one washer there, the thickness of the Penn washer is not thick enough for it to clear the ridge in the center of the gear (around the hole).  This will cause the first keyed metal washer to touch that ridge and there will not be any drag produced by that first washer.  To compensate for this, I used 2 Penn washers together and that worked great.  The doubled Penn washers are only needed at the location which is in contact with the inside of the gear.  Single Penn washers are used thereafter.

I hope this helps.

Hopefuly this will be a non problem in the near future.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mike La Franchie

Is the frame on the 50H aluminuim or graphite?

I have opportunity to buy either a Senator 113H (US made) or a Sealine 50H.

Any recommendations here?
I only fish on days ending with Y

alantani

the frame is aluminum. these reels are all very nice, but they would benefit greatly from a 5 drag conversion and a larger handle grip.  the 50 is about the size of a 2/0 or 3/0.  the 113h that you have a 4/0 size, so it is quite a bit larger.  both are fine.  it depends more on you line capacity requirements. 

Bryan Young

We have prototype metal drag washers. Just need the gear to see how it all fits and what will the final cf drag washers to use.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bb2fish

What are the prototype metal washers?  Your drag stack would end up being metal on metal?

Bryan Young

We had cut thinner metal washers mated with Carbontex or HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers to allow a 5+1 drag configuration.  I just don't exactly know how they fit because after we cut them, I haven't seen another sealine reel in for service. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mike La Franchie

Thanks for the info.
I bought the 50h, and am going to upgrade the drag stack to CF.

When it arrives, I will measure the depth of the drag stack, and maybe I can trial the 5+1 configuration.

Thanks
Mike
I only fish on days ending with Y